Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if rear diffusers are just for looks or do they offer an aerodynamic plus?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
For all intent and purpose they are for looks. Yes, in certain circumstances they do work. IndyCar loves them. But is it doing anything for your car on the drag strip? No.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts

My diffuser actually works compared to other diffusers that are only on there for looks.

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus
How does that work? It doesn't even fit correctly if what I am seeing is right. It looks like it bolts on to the bottom of the plastic piece that's where the stock diffuser was on the 2012-14 392s?

I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just asking how you think it works? The bottom of our cars aren't coated with plastic underbody panels like a lot of new cars, so I just don't see how directing air once it reaches your rear bumper is doing anything, not to mention it doesn't fit the air flow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How does that work? It doesn't even fit correctly if what I am seeing is right. It looks like it bolts on to the bottom of the plastic piece that's where the stock diffuser was on the 2012-14 392s?

I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just asking how you think it works? The bottom of our cars aren't coated with plastic underbody panels like a lot of new cars, so I just don't see how directing air once it reaches your rear bumper is doing anything, not to mention it doesn't fit the air flow.
It fits perfectly. Look at @Punisher69 photos. He got better pics of his.

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Exactly what @Punisher69 said
Plus I gained about 2 mpg.

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus
From your picture it looked like it was just an awkward bolt on. Laughed at your pointing finger, at first I thought it was you flipping me off.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'd be curious to see what they do performance wise, if they can really help on the strip. From what I have read they're not doing much. Not saying they aren't as I've not tested one out. From what I have read, if you have a front splitter to direct the air almost into a channel underneath and then the diffuser to deflect it they do create a bit of downforce and reduce drag. But if you look under the Charger there is places for air to get trapped all over the place.

My ex-wifes Infiniti has this curtain like material so the underbody looks almost completely smooth. If you plan on doing any work you have to remove these stupid things.

I see what WS and P69 are saying as the rear bumper hangs and could almost have a parachute type effect.

I'm just curious if they're worth the price.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd be curious to see what they do performance wise, if they can really help on the strip. From what I have read they're not doing much. Not saying they aren't as I've not tested one out. From what I have read, if you have a front splitter to direct the air almost into a channel underneath and then the diffuser to deflect it they do create a bit of downforce and reduce drag. But if you look under the Charger there is places for air to get trapped all over the place.

My ex-wifes Infiniti has this curtain like material so the underbody looks almost completely smooth. If you plan on doing any work you have to remove these stupid things.

I see what WS and P69 are saying as the rear bumper hangs and could almost have a parachute type effect.

I'm just curious if they're worth the price.
I don’t know how they would do on a drag strip but I can tell you my mpg’s has increased by 2 mpg. This blocks the air drag on the rear bumper.

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I didn't pay full price for mine, a member of another forum I'm on had his for sale while I was back home picking up the car after the build. I put it on the day after I picked up the car.

I COULD test it at the strip...had I not super locktite and cross threaded incorrect bolts hahahaa. If it comes of, it's staying off.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I didn't pay full price for mine, a member of another forum I'm on had his for sale while I was back home picking up the car after the build. I put it on the day after I picked up the car.

I COULD test it at the strip...had I not super locktite and cross threaded incorrect bolts hahahaa. If it comes of, it's staying off.
I don't think it'd be worth testing either way. It may be a benefit, it may not. I'd have to guess if it bridges the gap where the bumper cuts off and the differential that it may keep some air moving. What that would help on the strip in terms of #'s who knows.

I think in your case of 840hp not much. You see the ZL1 with its splitters and diffusers, but then you see a Hellcat with nothing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't think it'd be worth testing either way. It may be a benefit, it may not. I'd have to guess if it bridges the gap where the bumper cuts off and the differential that it may keep some air moving. What that would help on the strip in terms of #'s who knows.

I think in your case of 840hp not much. You see the ZL1 with its splitters and diffusers, but then you see a Hellcat with nothing.
I sincerely doubt that it makes a difference at the strip. Probably more beneficial on the highway at sustained speeds. I mean, I DID get 21mpg driving back after the build to Texas from NC with it on lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rear diffusers are supposed to create negative pressure on the rear of the vehicle. This creates downward force. Downward force that makes any difference would actually reduce your top speed and mpg.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well say what you want about diffusers because everybody will have a different opinion about them.
I know for a fact it does give me better mpg’s and plus it looks great on the car.

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus

1 - 20 of 49 Posts