Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's really strange. I have been challenged three times in the past two weeks on a long stretch of road by various 2005 & 2006 Mustang GTs and have smoked each one by at least 1 car length. I have had my RT for about a year now and have never had it perform this well against a GT. I have done no mods other than removing the suitcase muffler but even after that never saw this smooth speedy take off I have been getting this month. The only other thing I notice is that it is about time to replace the tires. I don't see how low tread can help you take off faster even after peeling out. Technically the Mustang has 40 less HP but for the first year they could always take me whether using autostick and ESP or not.

being a Transformer fan this actually influenced a big life decision. I was about to trade my RT for a 2005 GT and an old 76 Camaro and paint them just like in the movie (Barricade and Bumblebee for the kids). I also tried test driving an 07 GT and it sucked "taking off"
The power I know was just not there.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's really strange. I have been challenged three times in the past two weeks on a long stretch of road by various 2005 & 2006 Mustang GTs and have smoked each one by at least 1 car length. I have had my RT for about a year now and have never had it perform this well against a GT. I have done no mods other than removing the suitcase muffler but even after that never saw this smooth speedy take off I have been getting this month. The only other thing I notice is that it is about time to replace the tires. I don't see how low tread can help you take off faster even after peeling out. Technically the Mustang has 40 less HP but for the first year they could always take me whether using autostick and ESP or not.
well as you get more miles on your car HP increases
but ya GT's stock are a joke

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
well as you get more miles on your car HP increases
but ya GT's stock are a joke
stock GT's are no joke, atleast not the new ones. It is pretty much a drivers race with an R/T

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
i posted a thread on my race with one
i beat it by atleast 2 cars
poor driver perhaps? The specs on it I believe have it as a low 14/high 13 second car, just like the R/T's. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
true
actually according to ford they do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds :lol: (manual)
but I also think there are A LOT of inexperienced mustang drivers out there seeing as it is like the most COMMON(dull) car on the road lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
true
actually according to ford they do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds :lol: (manual)
I have run a 5.7 sec 0-60 in my wifes GT vert.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I have run a 5.7 sec 0-60 in my wifes GT vert.
which would you say FEELS faster the GT or your daytona? try not to be TOOOOOOOO biased lol jk :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, I ran kinda even with one from two lights the other night. First time he pulled on me. I went autostick from the second light and made a much, much better show for myself. Tit for tat, pretty even. We didn't get too wild and he was cool about it. Not sure what year it was, but it was a manual GT all right. It was cool seeing that car's rear end hump the pavement each time he shifted. Those things are pretty nice, imo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
what about your TB?
I have had a 5.4, fairly cool day and I am near sea level.
which would you say FEELS faster the GT or your daytona? try not to be TOOOOOOOO biased lol jk :)
Thats a good question....we bought these within a month of each other...at first hers did. Before I started modding, mine started to feel faster after the first month or so ( break in?). Now with the mods I have, I definately feel faster.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

being a Transformer fan this actually influenced a big life decision. I was about to trade my RT for a 2005 GT and an old 76 Camaro and paint them just like in the movie (Barricade and Bumblebee for the kids). I also tried test driving an 07 GT and it sucked "taking off"
The power I know was just not there.

These bad boys can move on the go. I ran against one once. I was in too high of a gear (DAMN AUTOMATIC!!!!!) when we were playing. On the next round in Autostick, he saw my silver back. I would agree in saying that it is a driver's call.

Oh and as a Transformers fan myself I would stick with the Charger. My final 2 car choices were between the Mustang and Charger. Serves a much more functional purpose, with the power to match. Besides, to give it the same look barricade had, you would need the saleen body kit. I'll admit it though, for about 10 sec, I thought I should have got the mustang. Then I realized it could never transform :lol: .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Which ones have the 5.4 and which have the 4.6. I am under the assumption that there are two v8 options. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keep in mind the GT uses the drive by wire system. Learns it's shift points and such from the way the driver actually drives the car. So two identical GT's are not going to drive the same when one is P**sy footed around every day and the other one has the crap kicked out of it daily.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Keep in mind the GT uses the drive by wire system. Learns it's shift points and such from the way the driver actually drives the car. So two identical GT's are not going to drive the same when one is P**sy footed around every day and the other one has the crap kicked out of it daily.
I did not know that, good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I traded my 05 GT for the 06 RT and from my experience with both cars I would say your success in out performing them may be due to the fact that the RT with its weight hooks up better and doesnt roast the tires as much. My GT felt light in the rear end and i could easily break the tires loose, while my RT doesnt break loose as easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.