Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Scat Pack.

I have an ECU coming in and going to get it tuned but I decided to do headers before the tune so I can max out this tune.

Any suggestions on which headers to get that will bolt onto the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Keep in mind, the stock exhaust manifolds you have on your car are the same ones used on Hellcats and are good to well over 1000hp. Long tubes on our "stock" motors mainly increase the noise level. A tune alone can free up about 20-25 HP, headers + tune MIGHT make 25-30. Installing them isn't "cheap" if you pay someone and isn't the easiest/ fastest thing to do if you do them yourself.

There aren't any long tube headers that will bolt on to the stock exhaust without the correct mid pipes to mate up to the rest of the exhaust. Shorties will, but for the cost/labor/time to install them, shorties are a waste of all of the above.

The mid pipes can come with or without cats, that's your choice to make....and that will probably depend a LOT on where you live. If you decide to go catless, having your local exhaust shop fab up mids for you might be a lot cheaper than buying them pre-made.

There are some seriously affordable choice of headers on eBay. I mean, less than $200 for the set. I have a set on my build and they're holding up fantastic.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
For the cost of parts and install (If not doing it yourself) I would hold off on the headers. Back in 2014 there were a few independent tests done on the older 2012-2014 SRT to determine how much gain you got from a tune and headers. (On the lx site) The best results was 25 hp with a tune from a stock SRT. The newer scat packs now have increased hp from the factory over the older models and also have a better exhaust system I would venture to say that if you slapped on a set of headers with cats your increase would be around 10-15 hp without any other mods for a tuned scat. (Means you already have a tune for the charger and will just be tweeking the tune)

If you are not installing the longtubes yourself, it is best to wait until you upgrade the Cam and put better springs in the car. That way you do not have to pay the installation cost for the headers since the heads will be coming off for the spring upgrade kit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So what can I do to get more whp?
Horsepower is a matter of money. How fast you can go depends on how deep your pockets are.

What are your end goals for the car? Daily Driver, track beast, weekend warrior?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Forced induction. Installing it myself saving about $5K labor, I just gained 100HP for $6465.00 including the dyno tune and Boost & AFR gauges.
So that's $64.65 per pony. Add to that for some coolant.
I chose the Edelbrock E-Force because of the kit quality and no blower noise. Some like it but I already have it on another vehicle running a Magnuson and like it there.

I actually spent more in addition but wanted to give my cost for blower alone. I upgraded to the thicker radiator and dual fans while in there.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes, $ = HP. Catback, CAI, samething, just choose one you like for the looks and sound. I Choose Corsa's for great sound and no cabin discomfort.

Back in 2005 or so while on the dyno dialing in my Radix blower on my 05 Silverado with the OE Airbox I had one pull left and put this Airaid unit on. It took 5 minutes.
The truck was already heat soaked from driving there and two previous pulls. It showed a 5HP gain. I remember wishing I could return it.

Back then that turn-key blower install done by a pro including parts was an even $5K eventually gaining 119.5 HP measured on Hot & Humid 98°F Atlanta August days.
The 1st run is all stock after 5000 miles and oil change, 2nd run is 3.5" vs. 3.7" pulley, both supplied by Magnuson, the 3rd run is 3.2" pulley and different tuner. Over 100,000 miles now and still running very well. Dynopulls were 3 for $50.00.

For the Charger I priced around and the install is as much as the blower if you include the dyno tune. MERCY. So I did it myself and enjoyed every minute of it.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Spend around $10,000 and turn it into a 426 NA monster. Short block around $5000, NSR (No springs required) Cam, Set of longtubes/mids along with a nice tune and install. You would be right around 510 hp to the wheels and all the power you could handle on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts