Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 R/T with Nav and all.. The 2017 got Car Play and Android Auto... is there any way to get this function to my car without going to buy a new car? I mean... there's a really pretty red Challenger Hellcat for sale up the road... It's possible I could be convinced.

· Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Daytona
881 Posts
Best you could do would be a lockpick where you could mirror the screen on your phone, but the touchscreen wouldn't work.

I had Android Auto in a rental on my last business trip. It was pretty cool, no need for navigation on cars anymore with that & car play. Too bad the older radios won't get updates.

· Registered
34 Posts
Hello,

Wouldn't you still need satellite nav for wherever you can't get a cell signal? I know it might sound odd but...I live in downstate Illinois and there are a lot of areas with no cell reception...

Thanks,
ccbenn

· Registered
80 Posts
How can we confirm that? Does anyone know someone who works at a dealership or as a radio installer?

Also how many posts before I can post links? I have some good shots of the rears of the units for comparison
I install plenty of radios - I would be more than glad to do this for someone if they could provide the car and the unit.

· Registered
1 Posts
Is it though?

There are fewer connections on the 2016. 4 individual plugs on the 2016 and 5 on the 2017.

I cannot post the links as this is my first post

Not sure what this means however for compatibility, need an expert opinion
Hi, on the challenger forum, there's a guy that is actually doing the swap of a 2017 uconnect on a 2015-2016 and so far it seem to be working but there's some glitch.

For the 5th plug on 2017 uconnect, it's because the screen is now separate and need to be plug in the uconnect body. Chrysler must have done that so they can replace only the screen when they have issue with the LCD instead of swaping the whole unit

· Registered
20 Posts
I understand the need to innovate, but it sounds like an evil plot to sell more new cars instead of allowing us to upgrade to cool features and keep what we got. Thats gonna cost them in the long run...at least as far as Im concerned. Apply Play is nice, but I wouldnt bust my ass to get it to work right.

· Registered
5 Posts
Upgraded UConnect 5.0 to 8.4RN....plug and play

Upgraded my 2016SE AWD from Uconnect 5.0 to 8.4RN today.

Was plug and play, and the easiest radio upgrade I ever did.

My car already had the Satellite Antennae, so it was really just a matter of popping the bezel and 4 screws.

Don't let dealers tell you it can't be done....Mine did

· Registered
2 Posts
I have called dealerships and also UConnect, and it is not possible. FCA changed providers from '16 to '17, and the '16 and down models are not compatible for this, sadly. They cannot be upgraded, as their wiring is different (like mentioned above)

· Registered
3,066 Posts
I have called dealerships and also UConnect, and it is not possible. FCA changed providers from '16 to '17, and the '16 and down models are not compatible for this, sadly. They cannot be upgraded, as their wiring is different (like mentioned above)
I'd be curious to see a comparison pictures of those wiring harnesses. I'm wondering if all of the connections are the same if you could splice in the 2016 wires in to the 2017+ harness connectors.

Also, there is the site someone posted in one of these topics with a company selling a 2017+ unit for 2015-2016's. So did they do the wiring on it themselves? This needs more investigation as I'm not giving up.

· Registered
1 Posts
Any luck on these? I just bought my first Charger RT 2016. Had low miles and didn't know much about the screen systems in them, as it is my first. Was looking for a vehicle that would allow me to do some good engine mods and keep it's sleek look. The salesman told me after I purchased the vehicle that Uconnect would be registered and all my features would be activated.....Sadly, I am learning that this was just talk from someone trying to get the money in their pocket at the end of the day. It's okay, as I love the car. Just researching different options...I love American Muscle and have dreamed about owning a Mopar for a long time..... out with the mustang and in with the Charger.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
Any luck on these? I just bought my first Charger RT 2016. Had low miles and didn't know much about the screen systems in them, as it is my first. Was looking for a vehicle that would allow me to do some good engine mods and keep it's sleek look. The salesman told me after I purchased the vehicle that Uconnect would be registered and all my features would be activated.....Sadly, I am learning that this was just talk from someone trying to get the money in their pocket at the end of the day. It's okay, as I love the car. Just researching different options...I love American Muscle and have dreamed about owning a Mopar for a long time..... out with the mustang and in with the Charger.
Hi BethH22,

Sorry to hear the dealership was not accurate in providing you correct information! We're happy to share further information on capabilities with your Uconnect system via private message if you have your VIN available. Additionally, upgrading the Uconnect system with Apple CarPlay capabilities is not advised after the build process is complete. However, we've seen aftermarket options available for previous model years.

Steph
Dodge Cares

1 - 19 of 19 Posts