Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have not ordered my Daytona yet but I was thinking about removing the decals but everyone seems to think that this would be more trouble than its worth. I could not get any dealer to agree to remove them for me, So I want to know if anyone has had trouble waxing this car with the decals on?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I haven't waxed mine yet but it doesn't look like it will be a problem. The stickers really help offset the color. I don't think it would look as good without the stickers. You'll have to see one up close to understand. To each there own!!

Rod

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So, what type of wax will not show on the decals? Also, what are you guys using to clean the interior?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When you get your car the first thing your going to want to do is clay bar your car then wax. This will remove all the comtamination from the paint, Yes, even on a new car.

CALIFORNIA GOLD®
CLAY BAR PAINT SAVING SYSTEM

You've heard about clay bars-professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how well it works. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to lift the particulate debris and contaminants that washing can't, our exclusive Paint Saving System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint-it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint-fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.

This will be the best first step to a great looking car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The first thing I did was use a clay bar to deep clean the finish and then I applied a Paint Sealant instead of a wax. I went very carefully on a little corner of a decal first to see the results and all went well. The paint sealant I used did not affect the flat black nature of the decals that I can see.

The paint sealant I use is from:

http://www.perfectautofinish.com/

The owner Gary Kouba owns a detailing shop in the Chicago area and really seems to know his stuff.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Right, I wouldn't recommend waxing the decals.

·
Banned
236 Posts
run_n_late said:
Hey guys I have not ordered my Daytona yet but I was thinking about removing the decals but everyone seems to think that this would be more trouble than its worth. I could not get any dealer to agree to remove them for me, So I want to know if anyone has had trouble waxing this car with the decals on?
I was going to do the same thing, remove the vinyl when the Daytona arrives. However, during the long, sometimes unbearable wait for my car I realized, once it arrived, that this car -

1. looks just too good with the decals and
2. will retain it's value and collectability better if I keep it stock, no mods.

-mark
Daytona #1247

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use Mother's Step #2 Sealer and Glaze, and then Mothers Step #1 Pure Carnuba Wax --- you don't need step #1 because it's the cleaner. I went around the decals, but got a little bit on them in a few spots and it came right off with no problems. I think that vinyl is designed to withstand wax, and I may wax them in the future. I'm just waiting for someone else to be first - LOL. I truely don't think it would be a problem though. It's not like a flat black paint like on Rustang's. Go ahead and wax them - get back to me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
One way to make waxing easier for you guys is to tape off the decals with blue masking tape. It will allow you to go faster and will peel right off. Pro detailers do it.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
fatchance said:
One way to make waxing easier for you guys is to tape off the decals with blue masking tape. It will allow you to go faster and will peel right off. Pro detailers do it.

Can some one hit me in the head with a 2x4? Why the hell did I not think of this?? I did that on my GMC all the time (black/gray/red paint w/ flat black graphics). Its only been 3 years since I owned that thing and I should have remembered that trick.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am not sure about this but remember something I think the dealer said... he said do not wax it (right after I picked it up) for x amount of days. if it's true, does anyone remember how long to wait?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ron Mexico said:
I am not sure about this but remember something I think the dealer said... he said do not wax it (right after I picked it up) for x amount of days. if it's true, does anyone remember how long to wait?
False, The paint process for new cars has changed. You can caly bar and wax your car the day you get it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Crazy_luck said:
Can some one hit me in the head with a 2x4? Why the hell did I not think of this?? I did that on my GMC all the time (black/gray/red paint w/ flat black graphics). Its only been 3 years since I owned that thing and I should have remembered that trick.....
Don't feel so bad. I had the exact same reaction. I must have been stuck on stupid that day in car care class.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts