Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a piece that isn't mentioned on the instructions to install the MOPAR CAI -- regarding the 12 inch weatherstrip. The only place I can think where this goes would be on the "inside" of the hole on the heat shield. I've put it around there but it's about 2 inches longer then it should be. I was gonna cut it but I'm not sure if 1) That's the right place for it (I think it is) 2) if it's really needed?

I've looked at several other members pics with the same CAI and around the hole of the heat shield is NO weatherstripping so I'm thinking they didn't use it for some reason or the weatherstripping goes somewhere else.

On another note, i've seen some pics where members don't even have the Heat Shield Liner on top of their heat shield.

Can someone that has installed one of these mention if they did install that weather strip or what the importance would be if not installing it.

I've attached a pic of the piece i'm talking about. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i think it goes around the top edgge of the heat shield (separating filter from engine) that came with the CAI. to prevent contact from your hood to the metal edges of the heat shield

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
nah that goes around the hole at the bottom of where the stock box sat...if you look straight down from atop where the filter sits youll see a circle hole...that where that strip goes and you have to trim it to fit...and if it came with the part i install it...i think its mainly cosmetic...

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
There is a piece that isn't mentioned on the instructions to install the MOPAR CAI -- regarding the 12 inch weatherstrip. The only place I can think where this goes would be on the "inside" of the hole on the heat shield. I've put it around there but it's about 2 inches longer then it should be. I was gonna cut it but I'm not sure if that's the right place for it
It is ... that's where I put mine, right in the hole where the tube passes through.

What possible reason would it be to put it in the hole going down into the fender/bumper area ? Can't even see that area anymore because of the new conical air filter ...

Put it in the shield hole and trim it to fit ... they purposely gave you extra, so that there's no gap .... trim it just a little too long and stuff it together so it's a tight seal

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info fellas. It looks like i'm not the only one that was confused. Glad to hear it doesn't go into the HOLE where the stock air box sat b/c I'd have to remove everything to get it on there and would just toss it. The installation instructions weren't bad they were horrendous.

This is a very helpful forum but i've noticed quite a bit, unfortunately when people who have had experience doing things in the past they turn posts into a competition. Instead of offering helpful advice they have pissing contests with one another on "who" did the mod faster. A good example would be the the "hood struts." Yes, they are not a difficult mod, I did them myself too -- but when I searched posts to read on the hood strut mod I found people asking questions in some posts and instead of getting answers the responses were "I did it in 3 mins" I did it in 2 mins, I did it in 10 seconds....kinda sad honestly.

Because of stuff like this I have jotted down a quick list of things "tips on installation of MOPAR CAI" I'll post and hopefully can help some because the instruction manual did a pretty poor job and actually left some STEPS OUT.

SolidOrange, I did the same thing, I just cut with a scissor -- figured that's where the weather strip goes -- you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your MOPAR CAI installed would you? If so, please post them if you get a chance.

I just wrote a last post regarding "another" oddity on the factory breather hose -- after I figure out if that is normal or not I"m gonna post a quick tips sheet to hopefully help other newbs like me who have never had a new car until now and who haven't had the opportunities to do the mods. I feel good that i've attacked 3 mods and seem to have done all 3 correctly...although I am not gonna start my car until I find out the deal with the factory breather hose being loose.

·
Registered
619 Posts
SolidOrange, I did the same thing, I just cut with a scissor -- figured that's where the weather strip goes -- you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your MOPAR CAI installed would you? If so, please post them if you get a chance.
my car is in the body shop right now getting a new hood painted and installed. i will be posting a mod extravaganza thread when i get it back with pics and reviews of my hood, mopar CAI, diablo predator vs. superchips flashpaq, hood struts, window tint, and new tires. it's been a good month! :lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Orange,

you think you'd mind PM'ng me with the link to that post when you do make it. I'd like to see your mods -- does sound like one hell of a month -- are you getting an SRT8 hood or a carbon fiber?

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a sick look man..very sick. How much did you pay to get that hood shipped and what are you paying to get it painted and installed -- basically how much is that gonna cost you (out the door) so to speak?

·
Registered
619 Posts
That is a sick look man..very sick. How much did you pay to get that hood shipped and what are you paying to get it painted and installed -- basically how much is that gonna cost you (out the door) so to speak?
i got the hood for $500 shipped, paint and install at my local body shop is looking like $350-$400 right now so $850-$900 total.

p.s. sorry for the thread hijack!

·
Registered
149 Posts
500 for the hood? were at?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts