Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into parking sensors and it quickly became apparent the typical ultrosonic sensors require drilling into the bumper, which I am not interested in doing.

There is another kind though- electromagnetic sensors, that can be installed w/ adhesive inside of the bumper. When engaged they create a magnetic field and movement w/in the field (stationary objects as you back up) disrupt the field allowing it to figure out something is there and how far away it is.

A popular site for this seems to be http://www.parkingdynamics.com/ - the cost is $115. They are in the UK, and ship worldwide but didn't check what shipping costs.

Anyway, has anyone tried something like this? It seems like exactly what I'm looking for. Installation doesn't seem too hard. The hardes part is it appears you need to remove the rear bumper.

(On a side note, I was also thinking how cool it would be to find a module that auto-tilts the side mirrors in reverse like some higher-end cars do, but came up empty handed finding an aftermarket solution to this. Seems like it wouldn't be hard to figure out if someone was inclined. I'll keep digging on that one...)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
They make bicycle racing sunglasses with little mirrors on the side of them so you can see the competition behind you without having to turn your head..........I bet these would work pretty well :)

Why couldn't you just use 3M two sided tape for the sensor?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They make bicycle racing sunglasses with little mirrors on the side of them so you can see the competition behind you without having to turn your head..........I bet these would work pretty well :)

Why couldn't you just use 3M two sided tape for the sensor?
Well, that would avoid the drilling, but I'd still have ugly sensors stuck on the bumper w/ wires running out of them. I know another option is mounted on the license plate screws but I just bought a custom plate frame that would no longer fit.

I'm trying to keep the lines of the car unchanged basically. My first thought was trying to mount the sensor for the traditional style sensor in the trunk lock hole, but every system sold is a minimum of 2 sensors and typically 4 or even 6, so it seemed to me that 1 in the trunk hole would not work well as it's kind of high and only 1...

Just brainstormin' still.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Hm, let's look more. I know they make some sort of remote proximity sensor. It may not be made exactly for a car, but let's see what we can come up with via Google.

·
Registered
746 Posts
(On a side note, I was also thinking how cool it would be to find a module that auto-tilts the side mirrors in reverse like some higher-end cars do, but came up empty handed finding an aftermarket solution to this. Seems like it wouldn't be hard to figure out if someone was inclined. I'll keep digging on that one...)
Or at least a 1 touch memory button like they have for power seats.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Okay, here is a thought.

Put something like this in your trunk right up against the bumper wall with two sided tape. http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm00038.htm

It has an adjustable range setting. After it's set, when you get close enough to something to intercept it's range field, the alarm will sound. you can probably run an LED from this to somewhere up by your dashboard too.

Cheap and sounds like fun to experiment.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the hell is a parking sensor?
Like a backup camera, it lets you know how close to the car behind you you are, but instead of using a camera it senses the distance and beeps at you, as you get closer the beep gets faster essentially telling you "hey you're close enough, stop here!". I'd prefer a camera put I don't want an extra screen and I don't want to rip out my nav and send it off so it can be retrofitted to show a camera. This is a potential "clean" way to add the concept w/out changing the car in any way visibly.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Some 300's came with auto-tilt mirrors....food for though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a little more searching on this, and this is exactly what I was picturing in my head:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/13

$100 for both mirrors, $59 for one side. It ties in to the up/down lines and uses a timer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts