Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tapped another car last week in a snowstorm and fugged up my grill. Bought replacement parts but while I have the bumper cover off I am thinking about swapping in a louder horn.

Anyone done this? Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Tapped another car last week in a snowstorm and fugged up my grill. Bought replacement parts but while I have the bumper cover off I am thinking about swapping in a louder horn.

Anyone done this? Recommendations?
I cannot honestly remember ever using mine, come to think of it, I couldn’t say with any confidence whether they even work or not.

Nevertheless, I have I unhooked and rehooked them before, and I’m almost positive there are two. So if you find a replacement horn, you will need to get two of them IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot honestly remember ever using mine, come to think of it, I couldn’t say with any confidence whether they even work or not.

Nevertheless, I have I unhooked and rehooked them before, and I’m almost positive there are two. So if you find a replacement horn, you will need to get two of them IIRC.
Wow. I am on my horn all the time. People here drive like idiots. And yes, I do believe there are 2 with different pitches.

Are your stock units Fiamm Highway Blasters?
Not 100% sure but I believe so.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Wow. I am on my horn all the time. People here drive like idiots. And yes, I do believe there are 2 with different pitches.

Not 100% sure but I believe so.
Well to be fair, I know we have our fair share of idiot drivers around here, but ever since I started The Bacon Hauler, I don’t see nearly as much stupid driving.

It’s weird, I now seem to have a traveling zone of safety every where I go - if someone is breaking the law when I come around, they momentarily stop and wait until I’m out of sight before continuing on with their lawlessness.

I actually had a guy come up to me while I was at a local car wash cleaning my car and say, “Man, you scared the hell out of me with this car the other day!”

I feigned surprise like I always do, “I scared you??”

“Yeah, but then I saw your license plates and knew you weren’t a cop.”

“What were you doing when you saw me?”

“Something very illegal...”

😮

I didn’t ask for any further details for fear of becoming an accomplice after the fact.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Right, the Fiamms are typically around 405 and 500 hz. They're pretty loud.

The best way to get more attention would be to add another tone, say around 350 hz. Problem is, it's hard to find anything below 400 hz in a trumpet horn.

You could go with disc horns like Hella Sharptones or Supertones. They're very popular on Euro and Asian cars, but most people think disc horns don't sound "right" on an American muscle car.

I don't care for traditional airhorns, but they're plenty loud.

The Stebel Nautilus is basically a tiny, self contained airhorn. Easy to install, and distinctive. Not my speed but worth a look.

What I used to do for loud horns was head to a boneyard and pull a set of quad A-C-D-E horns out of a 70s Cadillac. Run a hot wire right from the battery to the relay and you've got a set of horns that will give the guy in front of you a nosebleed.

You can still find those sets on eBay for $80-100, but I don't bother with them anymore. Usually I just hook up a heavy-duty alternating flasher.

Costs about $15, takes maybe 15 minutes, and the "high-low-high-low" gets people's attention in a big hurry.

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
The Stebel Nautilus is basically a tiny, self contained airhorn. Easy to install, and distinctive. Not my speed but worth a look.
I installed one of these in my Miata. Small enough to fit nicely in that car, but VERY loud! Loved it, a definite attention-getter. It is a higher "euro" pitch, but quite effective. :cool:

I've heard a lot of other people get a pair of stock horns from an older Dodge pickup from a junkyard. Inexpensive and also effective.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I couldn't stand it. I just ordered those ACDF horns eBay . I'll post pics of the install soon as I can. The nose has to come off or be loosened and pulled back but I'll do it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I couldn't stand it. I just ordered those ACDF horns eBay . I'll post pics of the install soon as I can. The nose has to come off or be loosened and pulled back but I'll do it.
I don't know what the stock horn relay is rated for. You might want to pick up a heavy-duty relay. 40 AMP should do it. Wire the hot leg directly to the battery for the best performance.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nice! That's how I would try it. I wouldn't want to try to isolate the original relay.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I was about to post this very topic. Good stuff, I like that Cadillac horn option. Was gonna try and get air horns installed but I like this option better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a set on the bench and I'll post back on it when done.
The front fascia has to come off and creativity will be involved in mounting them. The mounting arms are at fixed angles which will present challenges.
I mounted and wired in the relay today. A fuse tap in the horn circuit is nice for the trigger and leaving out one of the fuses will disable the OE horns. So I can juast let them ride as backup.
It will be this weekend before I mount them in.

Preliminary sound check on the bench says they are louder than OE but not a bunch, but 4 horns are for sure more announcing. I have a db meter and will do a before and after. I'll take a reading before pulling the fascia and after with the fascia back on.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Do a write up. I love the Cadillac horns!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was confirming if the fuse tap would be my relay trigger source point but that's a pipe dream. Its hot all the time going to the OE relay.
So I looked at the schematic for the OE horn wiring and see where the two horn wires GY/LB seem to join. I hope so.
I want an easy option to re-enable/disable the OE horns in the event of an issue so I don't have to pull the fascia again.

Looks liken I'll have something like this for a jumper easily accessible if I want to swap them or combine, I'll definitely try all of them but the OE's tone in comparison will ruin the tone I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Cadillac quad note horns. Stock horn wire triggers a new relay. Probably unnecessary, but it works.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well now! Tell us about end results noise wise? Did you reshape your brackets or did the horns come that way? Mine are all different. Yours all look like similar brackets? Do you have pics of them on the bench?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts