Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see what people are running as far as real performance brake pads go?

I used to run the TCE wilwood kit on my old SXT charger. helped at the track and autoX and also daily driver.

Right now, I'm in a 15 R/T upgraded with 4 piston brembos up front. Was looking to see if anyone is running Hawks, Carbotechs, or even a set of G-Locs???

I used to run the Hawk Street/Race pads on my 16 Camaro with 1LE 6 piston brembos. AMAZING stopping, especially on the street. basically the DTC-30 with a blend of HPS manners.

to be clear.....NOT looking for any pads that are geared towards low dust, show car appearance stuff. any pad worth its snuff is usually gonna have a 1000-1350 deg F max temp rating, and will produce brake dust, as opposed to wearing rotors.

Wanted to get a head start on this years SCCA season, and get em on and tested before anything starts. i might try going back to the hawk street 5.0 pads, but i ran those with the 2 pistons that came on the car and wanted to see if there was anything else with some CF that was decently streetable.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I used EBC Yellowstuff pads on my '07 SXT/AWD when running Mid Ohio. They worked very well for me. I will say I was easier on the brakes than some folks. I tried not to blow out bushings on the car, since there were no replacements other than stock at that time. Still beat a 2-min. lap time, though. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used EBC Yellowstuff pads on my '07 SXT/AWD when running Mid Ohio. They worked very well for me. I will say I was easier on the brakes than some folks. I tried not to blow out bushings on the car, since there were no replacements other than stock at that time. Still beat a 2-min. lap time, though. :)

yeah i def had those before. back on my SXT.... honestly, i think i got the idea to run em after you took on em track! 🤙 :giggle:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I have used either HPS or HP+ pads (when available for my car) on every vehicle I've owned going back maybe 20 years. Totally fine with the dust and the occasional squeal. Hmmm....sounds like a great name for a speed metal band. :)

Not quite the hard core track pads, but noticeable improvement over stock every time.

Best,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used either HPS or HP+ pads (when available for my car) on every vehicle I've owned going back maybe 20 years. Totally fine with the dust and the occasional squeal. Hmmm....sounds like a great name for a speed metal band. :)

Not quite the hard core track pads, but noticeable improvement over stock every time.

Best,
sounds good. i havent used the hp+ on a charger yet but i def dig their low temp stopping cf. as with what you said, brake dust...aint worried about it. not into show car t'ings...:)

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
Why track pads? They need to heat up before use. The SCCA events I was at had a lot of sitting, and 40-second runs. I used semi-metallics and they worked great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why track pads? They need to heat up before use. The SCCA events I was at had a lot of sitting, and 40-second runs. I used semi-metallics and they worked great.
i consider track pads anything from the HP+, G-Lock R6, Carbotech AX6, etc.... those are AutoX pads. and not really considered street pads.

prob 95% of any forum will not be able to deal with the brake dust, or occasional squeals. as stated. that does NOT bother me. i just made a point to mention track pads because whenever you mention street pads, everyone tries to push the Z26 stuff because of "less brake dust" and more cosmetic reasonings, which i dont really care for. i simply dont drive my car to have it clean 99% of the time, and dont apologize cause something is dirty on it or in it, if i happen to post a pic.

i am currently on a set of semi-metallics and they are ok, but i want something a bit more... like mentioned the DTC-30 hawks are a good choice for me. they used to be under a Hawk street/race pad, that has been discontinued. can still get the DTC 30 though... the Street/Race pads
hawk-Street-Race-brake-pad-box-generic.jpg

stop.jpg

LOVED THEM! but now not offered.

not looking for like a ST43... although great, like you mentioned...needs heat to work and very abrasive when cold. was looking more towards pads that have the 50deg F - 1300deg F range pads.

When i ran wilwoods W6A and Aero6 calipers on the prev charger, and 2 Camaros. everyone said no more than bp10. i started with the bp20's and moved into the polymatrix E pads. PHENOMENAL!! loved em as well.

wanted to see if anyone had any other pads experience outside of the normal, or suggestions of anything i haven't ALREADY tried;) 🤙 i like the feel of a solid pad with good torque characteristics

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
I'm confused as to what you're trying to do. Are these for street or track duty? You just want dirty pads that make noise? True track pads will be noisy, dirty, and only work well when heated up a lot. Ceramic means quiet and clean. In between are semi-metallic which work very good for the street. I have some older Wagner which also work great on the track.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm confused as to what you're trying to do. Are these for street or track duty? You just want dirty pads that make noise? True track pads will be noisy, dirty, and only work well when heated up a lot. Ceramic means quiet and clean. In between are semi-metallic which work very good for the street. I have some older Wagner which also work great on the track.

should NOT be anywhere NEAR confusing. the previous post covered it all, i would think.

-There are pads made that can handle LIGHT TRACK DUTY just as well as have decent street manners. I posted a pic as an example on post #7 they are streetable enough, but also can be used in autoX and most HPDE days where you are doing 15-30 minute sessions. i ran these pads for 2 years before they were discontinued. looking for something similar among any other brands that i havent tried yet.

- Never said i "just want dirty pads that make noise". i stated clearly i dont care if pads dust (on the forums, people always want pads that keep their car clean. i didnt buy a performance car to always look like its just been washed) , it doesnt bother me. i just want something that stops more agressively than stock, semi metalic, ceramic, or any of the vanity pads made for close to dust free performance. for me this is where my preference on braking comes in, for how i use the car daily and at the track. this is where a pad with good torque characteristics come into play... such as the DTC pads from hawk previously mentioned and have used already... dynamic torque control is what DTC stands for.

-The post was to see if anyone else here has any experience with pads that are of this nature that i may not have seen or known about. so that i can try them before the seasons starts. that way im not throwing something on the weekend before and taking them on a track with little experience to how they grip the rotors. also gives time for bedding of the pads.

-i already get what a "true track pad" consists of. Ive worked with KNS brakes over the past 5 years for my last 3 cars asking advice between my pad choices, and i have used plenty over the past 2 decades. tracks where i am up to 130-140mph, like summit point raceway, i usually opt for the raybestos ST43 pads, or G-Loc R12 and sometimes R10s in the rear. i already know single use dedication track pads. through GLoc, Raybestos, and Wilwood.

-"True track pads will be noisy, dirty, and only work well when heated up a lot." <---this is the characteristic of a TRACK ONLY pad. in the past decade alone, many companies have come out with pads that can handle track duty, but also not have all the negatives and can be used on the street. many of these pads have come in Autocross pad levels, or as the "Street/Race" pads from hawk. as technology advances, so have pad compounds. same with tires....

Also one should def check the temp range for a pad and deciding is it a track only pad vs something that can be used on the street, or maybe just able to get home from the track safely. All pads have a heat operating range.

-all this post was for is to see if anyone is running a pad of the nature for autoX or track use, but also has streetable manners.

something one can tolerate on the street, but also use it at the track. dust does not bother me, nor does an occasional squeak here and there. i am already running semi metallics, and looking for find something for the 4 piston brembos that are a step or 2 higher, which i havent had any experience with as of yet. i dont necessarily want to wait to get brake pads custom made again of a pad compound i know and am comfortable with, onto the backing pad that fits the 4 piston calipers. i've had to do this with the wilwood 6620 pad plate to get the Hawk Street/Race compound on it.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
Well, look at some semi-metallic then. Centric has a really neat chart for all their pads showing initial bite when cold, warm bite, longevity, etc. Funny, the Charger 4-piston Brembo pads are clean as a whistle, but the 6-piston pads are dirty as heck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, look at some semi-metallic then. Centric has a really neat chart for all their pads showing initial bite when cold, warm bite, longevity, etc. Funny, the Charger 4-piston Brembo pads are clean as a whistle, but the 6-piston pads are dirty as heck!
with charts, from company to company, that is usually all I look at when choosing a pad. I'll try and get personal usage feedback from those who have ran em, like I'm doing here.

this is hawks page for it Hawk Performance Premium Brake Pads, Rotors, & Kits | Hawk Performance has all of their motorsports compounds.

this is why i love the DTC30s...most rotors start to glow north of 1000F, but on the street, most will never get to that. its a pad that allows good cold stopping, but also doesn't handily deposit pad material on the rotor to give what people called "warped" feeling as easy due to a higher compound.

file (1).jpg

• Code: W
  • Optimal Range: 100-800F optimal temperature range
  • Min/Max: 100-1200F operating temperatures
  • Torque: Medium torque

• Consistent, smooth braking
  • Good cold effectiveness
  • All Hawk Performance compounds are not compatible with carbon ceramic rotors. Hawk pads are designed to work with Iron/Metal rotors.

comparing something like this to their semi metallics, the optimal and operating ranges are far lower. as well as the stopping power and modulation. thats my main goal... stopping power and modulation. having a higher temp range that works in cold is just a bonus;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts