Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im getting closer to purchasing Kooks LTs and when I took my car into the exhaust shop the guy working there said I should just skip hi flow cats and run a test pipe with a O2 simulator in place because in ND we dont have emissions testing. Anyone here running without cats? Pros/Cons? Anyone sell test pipes that work with Kooks? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
there was a news story on about 2 months ago talking about this. supposedly all the companies making them are in a huge lawsuite with EPA. i wouldnt do it. its unlikely you'd get caught, but i dont think its worth it

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I had them on my '96 LT1 Caprice, but I haven't seen any for the Charger.
Perhaps someone overseas can chime in and see what's under theirs. Middle East export models may not have the cats.

I remember back in '85 when I was working at a parts house, we got orders to destroy all the "test pipes" we had in stock. CPC made them, I think.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I know for my nsx they still make and sell them labeled off road only pipes. I guess an exhaust shop can make them for me but I was hoping someone made one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey guys Im getting closer to purchasing Kooks LTs and when I took my car into the exhaust shop the guy working there said I should just skip hi flow cats and run a test pipe with a O2 simulator in place because in ND we dont have emissions testing. Anyone here running without cats? Pros/Cons? Anyone sell test pipes that work with Kooks? Thanks.
Your exhaust/emission system is regulated under federal law, (EPA, DOT, Etc.) and isn't supposed to be "tampered" with. Replacement mufflers are permitted as long as they meet certain standards which most do. As previously stated, I wouldn't f#@k with it. May be okay today but if you need warranty work, sell the car, state inspection regs change, etc., you may be in for a problem.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you're going to use test pipes, just do it so that the cats can be swapped back in if you want/need to. There are lots of guys running O2 sims in f-bodies; I'm not sure, however, how the MOPAR PCM will react.

Honestly, though, I think the gain (with some small risk as noted above) isn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this is why im asking on the forums :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a feeling HAL would hate you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts