Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in the owner's manual that the EMERGENCY BRAKE should always be used when you aren't in the car. My last car was a Laredo I had for many years and I NEVER used the emergency brake unless I was up on a hill or some kind of incline or decline. On level ground (as I park mostly) I never used the emergency brake.

Anyone else never use theirs or even on level ground should you use it when you park? Even though I never used the emergency brake on my Laredo, the Transmission ran like it was brand new each and every day..so no damage was ever caused.

I'm just wondering "why" the owner's manual would say to use ANYTIME you are not on the car...if you are on level ground can anything really happen to the Tranny or other components?

How many people use it all the time, regardless and how many are like me and never use it on level ground?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i've only used it once...

i always park on almost perfectly flat surfaces... the one time i used it was cause i was on a steep incline. they prolly say to use it everytime b.c its a little safer.. but the only thing its really good for is absorbing the pressure that would be put on the transmission if you were parked on an incline w.out it

so you're 100% right!

·
Registered
230 Posts
its call vicarious liability. if they tell you to use it and you dont and the car rolls down a hill, it's no longer their fault. it's kinda like the hot beverage warning on the 30000 degree coffee served at mcdonalds. it was added after a woman sued for spilling coffee on her and being burned. she told the jury she didnt know it was hot because the employee didnt warn her and neither did mickey d's. thats where all the dumb warnings come from, lawsuits. hell sleep aids have warnings on them that they might cause drowseyness.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Can it wear down?
no but the cable will slack some with regular use...i use it all the time...its just habit...working for ups we have to use the brake all the time no exceptions on those trucks...dont want one of those tanks to roll away on you...but i always set the brake when i get out its just habit...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the responses. I didn't think it would do anything either just found it interesting they say you should use it "all" the time when you aren't in the vehicle. I'm usually on flat surfaces but just from natural instinct if i'm not and i'm on an incline or decline I'll use it. Funny that noone uses it....let's hope the car doesn't roll on our flat surfaces....hehehe

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use the parking brake whenever I get out of the car. It is the way I learned so it is habit now, and I can't really see a downside to doing it that way.

But whenever I park on a hill, I allways shift to neutral, then apply the parking brake and let it take up the weight of the vehicle before shifting to park.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use the parking brake whenever I get out of the car. It is the way I learned so it is habit now, and I can't really see a downside to doing it that way.

But whenever I park on a hill, I allways shift to neutral, then apply the parking brake and let it take up the weight of the vehicle before shifting to park.
ditto.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmmm. Don't flame me, but should I shift into nuetral when parking on an incline while the emergency brake is applied? How does this protect the trans?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Never used either, only used when I use a car with the manual trans.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was unlucky enough to have a stick truck with no e-brake, obviously parking in gear worked. The government vehicles I drive we are required to always set it no matter what, so its a habit that is hard to break, so hard that in the previously mentioned truck, when I would get out I would still try to set the brake most of the time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmmm. Don't flame me, but should I shift into nuetral when parking on an incline while the emergency brake is applied? How does this protect the trans?
Shifting into neutral, then applying the barking brake, then release the foot brake. This lets the weight of the car rest on the brakes. Then shift to park, and all the weight stays on the brakes, instead of the parking pawl in the transmission. That little parking pawl is what holds your car otherwise

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I use my break every time I park. One thing I noticed about the 07 chargers is that they have a different parking break. On the 06 chargers there is a break release lever, and in the 07s you have to push down the break to release it. I don't like having to push down the break to release it, so that is why I bought an 06 instead :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have never used it. Living in Flat Florida there is no call for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts