Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any pics if you did?
For those that don't know apparently if you don't have the better audio package you still have a hole cut out for a small sub woofer in the back dash area.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Have any pics if you did?
I utilized that hole in my Charger, but not for a sub. I took a 200mm case fan meant for a desktop computer case and mounted it on the trunk side of that sub hole so that it can help air circulate in/out of the trunk. I have 3 audio amplifiers mounted on a slide out rack in the trunk, and they are directly underneath the rear deck.

I usually have the rear seat back on the passenger side folded down, so I figured it would be easier to circulate air through there if I had something actively pulling air from the trunk to get the circulation started.

I do have some pictures somewhere, and I can find them and post them up here if you want, but I figured you were looking for pics of an actual 8" sub mounted there, which mine do not show.

For those that don't know apparently if you don't have the better audio package you still have a hole cut out for a small sub woofer in the back dash area.
While it's certainly true you can get an aftermarket 8" sub and mount it in that rear deck using the factory cut-out, I think it usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth. The factory screw holes in the deck won't match up with the aftermarket sub's mounting holes, so you'll need some sort of adapter to mount the sub. I don't think they make/sell adapters for that, so you'll have to make your own out of MDF or something. It's not terribly difficult, but it is something added to the total effort which many don't think about before deciding to try this.

Also, the options on which 8' sub you can go with are few and not all that attractive. Obviously the sub will have to be able to sound good in a free-air application, so that reduces the number to choose from quite a bit right off the bat. Then, it will actually have to sound good when used like that, as just because it will work in a free-air setup doesn't mean it will sound good doing it. This pretty much eliminates all but one or two of the subs out there, and both are fairly expensive the last time I looked into them.

I think the best case scenario, though not the easiest, is to find a good 8" sub that will sound good in a small, sealed enclosure and then custom build a small box to mount to the underside of the rear deck and enclose the sub's backside. That will give the best output possible, and certainly much better than most free-air subs just mounted in the deck. The problem with this approach is the difficulty in building the custom box to enclose the sub from underneath the deck. That's not something to attempt unless you have some wood working skills and tools already.

That's the extent of what I have to offer on the subject. Hope it helps...

Gert

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good info, thanks for all that. Back to the drawing board. It'll be a while before I do anything anyway, if I do anything.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
After doing a little reading of reviews for 8”, free-air capable subs on Crutchfield’s website, I may have to change my position on this topic to “it may be possible to utilize that factory sub hole in the rear deck to mount an aftermarket sub and have a satisfactory result.”

However I am basing that solely on the reviews of other people, and very few at that, so it’s still going to be a gamble I think.

In total, I think I only saw 3 or 4 reviews that referenced the respective sub being used in the factory rear deck sub hole of a Dodge/Chrysler LX/LC car. So it’s far from a comprehensive conclusion, but it’s not impossible/implausible like I had previously thought.

There are a couple Kickers and a Polk that they sell in the 8” size and of the free-air variety that some folks have tried and then left a review about their results. None were negative that I remember, but none were 5 star positive either I don’t think. It would come down to just trying them out I guess. If one sub/amp combo doesn’t sound good enough, try another...and another, until one is found that yields satisfactory results, or until all combos have been tried.

Still probably not the answer you were hoping for, but that’s the best I have currently.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oddly enough that hoke is for a fan for getting air back there for police equipment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I fold down my rear seats often, so using the factory 8" hole is a big plus for me.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I currently have that 8” factory sub hole filled in with an aftermarket 8” midrange speaker (Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8), and it’s powered by the 2 rear channels (bridged) on the 4 channel amp I have pushing all my cabin speakers. I also have a regular subwoofer, but it is a JL Audio 10” mounted one a ported box in the trunk.

I have tried many different speaker configurations over the last couple of years, but this current setup is by far the best...at least as far as my requirements go. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts