Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how big the exhaust pipes are on a 08 3.5 ? my brother is saying 2.5 and my friend is saying 2.25 ! help ! :alfdance:

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
R/Ts are 2.25" also.........SRTs are 2.5 and get to 2.75 at the mids
When i got my exhaust from a custom shop around my way...i asked that question and they looked like 3s but i beleive there 2.5s atleast on v6 3.5s

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Depends on which pipe you are talking about. The slip joint connectors before the y-pipe are 2.25, but the single pipe from the y-back is 2.5". Not sure on the R/T, but my Daytona exhaust I have now was 2.5" at the slip joint and had to get adapters welded on to get it installed.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Dont know anything about the 2.7, but id assume its the same..........OEM 3.5L, and 5.7L exhaust is 2.25" ID.......this is why some aftermarkets stay at 2.25 and some, like my magnaflow, bump it up to 2.5".................OEM 6.1L exhaust is 2.5" ID, with most aftermarkets bumping it up to 3"........the slip on spots are a little bigger because its a clamp on system, and they need to be to slide over the pipe they are connecting to

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Dont know anything about the 2.7, but id assume its the same..........OEM 3.5L, and 5.7L exhaust is 2.25" ID.......this is why some aftermarkets stay at 2.25 and some, like my magnaflow, bump it up to 2.5".................OEM 6.1L exhaust is 2.5" ID, with most aftermarkets bumping it up to 3"........the slip on spots are a little bigger because its a clamp on system, and they need to be to slide over the pipe they are connecting to
So then the Daytonas got the SRT exhaust?

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
So then the Daytonas got the SRT exhaust?
No......the SRT exhaust is 2.5" ID, a 1/4" bigger then the Daytona exhaust......I have both the SRT exhaust and Daytona exhaust sitting next to eachother in my garage and you can see the difference in piping

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
No......the SRT exhaust is 2.5" ID, a 1/4" bigger then the Daytona exhaust......I have both the SRT exhaust and Daytona exhaust sitting next to eachother in my garage and you can see the difference in piping
So then if, as you say, the R/T and the 3.5L exhaust are both 2.25" why did I have to get an adapter pipe welded on to my stock 3.5L pipes in order to get the Daytona exhaust installed??

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
So then if, as you say, the R/T and the 3.5L exhaust are both 2.25" why did I have to get an adapter pipe welded on to my stock 3.5L pipes in order to get the Daytona exhaust installed??
because they probably used a slightly larger adapter so they can slide the daytona exhaust over your stock exhaust a tiny bit to create an overlap, to decrease chances of an exhaust leak when they welded or clamped it down

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
because they probably used a slightly larger adapter so they can slide the daytona exhaust over your stock exhaust a tiny bit to create an overlap, to decrease chances of an exhaust leak when they welded or clamped it down
Uhh, yeah because the pipes on the daytona exhaust were BIGGER then the stock 3.5L exhaust. I tried to do the install in my garage, but it was impossible. There was too much of a difference in pipe diameter between the two, meaning they are NOT the same size.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Uhh, yeah because the pipes on the daytona exhaust were BIGGER then the stock 3.5L exhaust. I tried to do the install in my garage, but it was impossible. There was too much of a difference in pipe diameter between the two, meaning they are NOT the same size.
well........then who knows about the 3.5........I dont study or read up on anything about the 3.5, but I could have sworn it was said the 3.5 has 2.25" stock exhaust........one thing i can guarentee is, the 5.7 is 2.25 and the 6.1 is 2.5

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Well, I measured the ID of the exhaust on my 2.5L where the slip joint was, and it measured 2.25 on the female side of the slip joint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts