Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I spoke to this one guy the other day and he said his friend bought 411 gears for his Charger but did not get around to installing them so he wants to sell them

I dont know what 411 gears are...

So I wanted to know do they add HP? or whats the purpose of them?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
498 Posts
The"4:11" is the rear end gear ratio. From everything I have read on here, our cars, because of the computer, cannot currently handle a gear change. Where did your friend get these?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Well I spoke to this one guy the other day and he said his friend bought 411 gears for his Charger but did not get around to installing them so he wants to sell them

I dont know what 411 gears are...

So I wanted to know do they add HP? or whats the purpose of them?

Thanks in advance

Basically put the gears lower your top end speed and lower your acceleration times. They're great for the 1/4 mile, bad for gas mileage and top end speed.

But like what was just said noone has cracked the code on our computers. Even a starscan can't change the gear ratio on our cars.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Basically put the gears lower your top end speed and lower your acceleration times. They're great for the 1/4 mile, bad for gas mileage and top end speed.

But like what was just said noone has cracked the code on our computers. Even a starscan can't change the gear ratio on our cars.

Yes but the Diablo can..Where did he get the gears??

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
As far as I know no one makes gears for our diff because of the computer issue so if they have them they would most likely have to have been custom made.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
LISTEN UP!!! there is no way you can put 411 gears in our rear end for many reasons #1 its a mercedes rear end and there is no 411 gear for our housings #2 our housing's are not big anuff to fit a 411 gear in to them. and #3 hal wont let it happen. the srt rear end housing is bigger then the rt rear and with measuring the srt housing a 386 gear is the biggest gear that will fit

·
Registered
368 Posts
What year Charger was your bud talking about?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
if it was a old 60's 70's chrysler muscle car the rear end gear would be a 410 and not a 411. chrysler rear ends were different then the gm and fords. they would fit a 387-392-410-436-456-487-513 gear change with the v8 rear ends and the dana's could take even bigger gears

·
Registered
338 Posts
if it was a old 60's 70's chrysler muscle car the rear end gear would be a 410 and not a 411. chrysler rear ends were different then the gm and fords. they would fit a 387-392-410-436-456-487-513 gear change with the v8 rear ends and the dana's could take even bigger gears
Actually Richmond make a 4.11 gear for the old muscle cars. I've got one. Not that there is that much difference between a 4.10 and 4.11, but that's what it said on the box when it got here.

·
Registered
829 Posts
LISTEN UP!!! there is no way you can put 411 gears in our rear end for many reasons #1 its a mercedes rear end and there is no 411 gear for our housings #2 our housing's are not big anuff to fit a 411 gear in to them. and #3 hal wont let it happen. the srt rear end housing is bigger then the rt rear and with measuring the srt housing a 386 gear is the biggest gear that will fit
Didn't I read somewhere that somebody was going to try throwin' the Jeep rear end in the Charger when programming was ready? Aren't those 411's in there?

Wow would these cars ever wake up w/ some higher gears!!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
That'll be a hard, considering that the Jeep has a solid rear axle, like this...
(image is NOT a Jeep rear axle, just an image from Google).

While ours in an independant rear suspension, like this..

dont get me wrong, such a swap is possible, and has been done, but for a street car, thats a pretty drastic step.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
what i dont under stand is that the srt's have a 308 gear and the rt's have a 280 some thing gear but they both have the same trans/so whats different about the trans tcm and hal that no one can figure out?

·
Registered
829 Posts
what i dont under stand is that the srt's have a 308 gear and the rt's have a 280 some thing gear but they both have the same trans/so whats different about the trans tcm and hal that no one can figure out?
That's a VERY good point right there. Send that Q to the boys at Diablo...

IMO 287 to 308's isn't worth the hassle of the swap. It think you'd have to get at least in the mid to high 300's to make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Whats different is the numbers in the algorithm. First you gotta find that algorithm, then figure out what values you need the change. Then figure out what your new values need to be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts