Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_...table-Vehicle-Security-System-P8654C2302.aspx

"the wrap" -- I have to park my car outside and there have been some thefts in the area so I saw this and although it's expensive i'm thinking it might be worth it. I remember the big negative on "the club" was that a thief could just cut your steering wheel and slide that off in seconds.

This wrap seems wider then the area that could be cut although it's tough to see from the picture. Anybody have this and reccomend it or something similiar? Also, would a thief be able to cut the steering wheel the same way as with the club and get this thing off? How effective would something like this be and if a thief WANTED to get it -- what would they need to do?

I don't want to shell out $90 or so shipped if a thief in a matter of no time can get it off. Any info from anyone that knows about these or has them would be great...thanks.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on that - if they want your car they need to haul it away with a flatbed. The Sentry Key that the LX platform uses does a really good job at imobilizing these cars. If your key isn't programmed to the car, the car will only run for a few seconds. If the thief somehow gets it programmed (and it is possible, but they need some good connections with a dealership or some one with a StarScan), they would be able to get the car, and even if you had something like whats in your link, they could just break the steering wheel off altogether and use a wrech to drive it away (ghetto sounding, but it does happen). Your best bet is to find a security system and park in a well lit area.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Obviously, a quality alarm system is your first defense. But multiple layers of security can't hurt. By making it more difficult to steal your car, a thief may move on to "easier pickings."

If you want to save a few bucks on the shipping, but it at www.autobarn.com

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on that - if they want your car they need to haul it away with a flatbed. The Sentry Key that the LX platform uses does a really good job at imobilizing these cars. If your key isn't programmed to the car, the car will only run for a few seconds. If the thief somehow gets it programmed (and it is possible, but they need some good connections with a dealership or some one with a StarScan), they would be able to get the car, and even if you had something like whats in your link, they could just break the steering wheel off altogether and use a wrech to drive it away (ghetto sounding, but it does happen). Your best bet is to find a security system and park in a well lit area.
For clarities sake, they need the dealership to order a key, and then they need the Starscan, and your car, and also the vehicles PIN number, which has to be called in for, and that call is logged. So, yes, with help from the delaership, it could be done, but it would be very hard to pull off without getting busted.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_...table-Vehicle-Security-System-P8654C2302.aspx

"the wrap" -- I have to park my car outside and there have been some thefts in the area so I saw this and although it's expensive i'm thinking it might be worth it. I remember the big negative on "the club" was that a thief could just cut your steering wheel and slide that off in seconds.

This wrap seems wider then the area that could be cut although it's tough to see from the picture. Anybody have this and reccomend it or something similiar? Also, would a thief be able to cut the steering wheel the same way as with the club and get this thing off? How effective would something like this be and if a thief WANTED to get it -- what would they need to do?

I don't want to shell out $90 or so shipped if a thief in a matter of no time can get it off. Any info from anyone that knows about these or has them would be great...thanks.

I DONT KNOW IT LOOKS KIND OF CHEAP??

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Like CL said, if they take your car, its about %99.9 they used a flatbed, and your car could not even have a steering wheel and it wouldnt matter.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses all. I do have a quality alarm system, I was talking about more of a "VISUAL THEFT DETERRENT" -- my alarm light is pretty bright and can be seen easily at night so that helps, but I didn't realize how much it would take to get one of these. That is a ton of work and it's probably why our cars aren't even in the 10 most stolen in the Nation.

I did a search on the Charger even before I bought it -- I figured it would probbly be in the top 10 but nope -- and I guess this lx platform type of security mentioned is probably why -- the car won't go far without shutting down. Well, that saves me on this and now I can spend my money on more important mods. : ) Thanks for the input --- that thing looks like something outta Star Trek too....lol

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
"Insured by HK"
Oh, mine's "well protected", too... I just don't advertise. You have to beware that some jerk doesn't bust your window when you're not around, to try to steal your piece!

When's the last time you saw people in a parking lot actually do something about a car alarm going off...?

Just be careful, is all.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
That's why it never leaves me; and the notification is my 3rd break light cover, so you can't really see it unless I'm breaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts