Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I had my shifter replaced for the broken pink plastic part but I'm wondering if any one has had it happen again after replacement. I'm curious to know if Chrysler changed the spec on the part at some point or whether it is likely to happen again.

Please don't post how it happened the first time or how you bought the BT part so it won't happen again. I'm only interested in anyone who has had it happen again after factory repair.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
At leat 40 people have looked at this thread but no one has replied. My theory is that the defective pink thingy shifters were from a bad batch of plastic resin and the problem was limited to that batch. Once the shifter has been replaced, it can be expected to last as long as it was originally designed to.

We can probably narrow this down to the production dates affected by the defective plastic.

If you have had your shifter replaced for this problem, please post your build date so we can see if there's a manufacturing time frame this is limited to.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, my build date was 1/23/06

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Chrysler changed the design of the shifter for the 2008 cars, but nobody I know of has attempted a retro-fit ... most people bought the BT piece if their pink part broke, and some have just done a repair of the pink piece ...

When I changed my 2007's piece at 20k it looked perfect, but once I had it out I figured to might as well replace it with the BT piece sitting there ... :)

And I think some people have had the same symptom twice ... meaning "can't remove shifter from park" ... but the second (or first, depending on order in which they happened) repair probably was a brake pedal switch ... also somewhat common ... :)

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chrysler changed the design of the shifter for the 2008 cars, but nobody I know of has attempted a retro-fit ... most people bought the BT piece if their pink part broke, and some have just done a repair of the pink piece ...

When I changed my 2007's piece at 20k it looked perfect, but once I had it out I figured to might as well replace it with the BT piece sitting there ... :)

And I think some people have had the same symptom twice ... meaning "can't remove shifter from park" ... but the second (or first, depending on order in which they happened) repair probably was a brake pedal switch ... also somewhat common ... :)
Thanks for the reply. I understand folks caution in replacing the plastic part with the BT part before they had a problem. I have almost bought one myself.:bigthumb:

I know there was a re-design for 2008 but considering the tens of thousands (probably 100s of thousands) of Chargers, Magnums, and 300s made using this shifter I have only seen a few dozen reports of broken shifters on the various forums. I suspect that this was only limited to a bad batch of plastic polymer and I'm trying to satisfy my own curiosity and figure out if it is limited to a production window.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My shifter went out on Thur the 2nd of July. They replaced the whole shifter. I noticed as I was waiting for the tow truck that my shifter had that pink plastic part. I kept trying to push it through that little window thats in that storage pocket next to the shifter to try to start my car but it didn't work. When I got my car back I looked in that same window and I noticed that plastic piece was now black, so maybe Chrysler came up with a new design or different type of plastic to use. My build date was July of 2007.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
My shifter went out on Thur the 2nd of July. They replaced the whole shifter. I noticed as I was waiting for the tow truck that my shifter had that pink plastic part. I kept trying to push it through that little window thats in that storage pocket next to the shifter to try to start my car but it didn't work. When I got my car back I looked in that same window and I noticed that plastic piece was now black, so maybe Chrysler came up with a new design or different type of plastic to use. My build date was July of 2007.
Wow ... how many miles on your car ?

Mine had about 20k and the pink piece was intact ... see the pic below.

And see below for pics a 2008+ shifter :
(from a different thread ;))

No clue if these pictures will actually be useful to anyone, but Scott at Billet asked. My philosophy is pretty much the same one BT has, only backwards. Their ideology seems to revolve around "what the customer asks for, the customer gets". Mine... "what BT asks for, BT gets." So I ripped the car apart again today and took pictures this time. There's really nothing to be seen from above, by taking the upper plate off. Incidentally, it's highly resistant to disassembly.

The first picture kind of says it all. There's a pink spot I could use a key or something to press down. If I did, it'd just push a lever onto the top part of the green bit. The green bit is on a hinge/pivot that's off-center, so pressing down moves the bottom portion of the green bit out of the locked position. You can see the lock well in both the first and second pictures.

I'm honestly not sure what causes the green part of move into locked position. It's probably pressure from the solenoid's spring. There's no additional spring or tension mechanism involved. None of the green thing's arms look thin enough to be in danger of breaking.

Scott, I can now tear this out of the car given about five minutes, so if more pictures are desired of some sort, let me know.

Here. Have a part number.

The green bit here is the new lock-out part.

Green from closer.

Green from a different angle.

Whole thing from a different angle.

Starting to take random all-around pictures.

Hey, the other side.

Um. Running out of commentary.

It's a picture.

Last one.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
And the 05-07 shifter :

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow ... how many miles on your car ?

Mine had about 20k and the pink piece was intact ... see the pic below.

And see below for pics a 2008+ shifter :
(from a different thread ;))
I guess I need to correct myself, my car did start but i couldn't get it out of gear. My car has around 21,000 on it.

I swear that piece is now black and not green cause you can see it through that hole next to the shifter if you pull that pocket out. The service dept said they replaced the entire shifter.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I guess I need to correct myself, my car did start but i couldn't get it out of gear. My car has around 21,000 on it.

I swear that piece is now black and not green cause you can see it through that hole next to the shifter if you pull that pocket out. The service dept said they replaced the entire shifter.
When the shifter piece brakes, the car always starts ok, just won't come out of Park.

Did they give you a receipt for the work ?

And if yes, what's the part # they charged out on there ?

If it's the 2008+ part number that's seen in the pics I posted above, that will tell us all that the 2008+ shifter can be retro-fit into 05-07 LX's ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
When the shifter piece brakes, the car always starts ok, just won't come out of Park.

Did they give you a receipt for the work ?

And if yes, what's the part # they charged out on there ?

If it's the 2008+ part number that's seen in the pics I posted above, that will tell us all that the 2008+ shifter can be retro-fit into 05-07 LX's ...
I'll take a look and get back to you.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
2007 RT R&T. 18000 miles. I experienced this failure last week and the dealer replaced the entire shifter. The replacement part number is 4578087AG. I inquired as to the reliabilty of the replacement part and I was told the last character of the part number indicates several re-designs. It seems the factory would have installed a part number ending in "AA". When a part is re-designed it receives a new ending character of "B" on the first re-design and "C" on the next and so on. So an ending character of "G" makes me wonder how long this will last.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
2007 RT R&T. 18000 miles. I experienced this failure last week and the dealer replaced the entire shifter. The replacement part number is 4578087AG. I inquired as to the reliabilty of the replacement part and I was told the last character of the part number indicates several re-designs. It seems the factory would have installed a part number ending in "AA". When a part is re-designed it receives a new ending character of "B" on the first re-design and "C" on the next and so on. So an ending character of "G" makes me wonder how long this will last.
That's different than the shifter part # in my car :

(which has the original shifter assembly and has a part number that ends in an "H")

Attachments

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I did the same as Gabe, replaced the pink thing before it failed. Murphy's law tells me that it will would have broke at the most un-opportune time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's been almost an hour ... did you take a look yet ?

:D
I took a harder look at it and it is still pink! I couldn't believe my eyes. Since I 1st thought it was black but I guess I didn't look all the way through that hole or I am smoking crack! :smoke: The part # is: 4578087AG. Sorry for the late notice!

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I wonder why they still make it out of that pink plastic then?:rolleyes2::beatdeadhorse5::brickwall: What the hell is the redsign?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
We just had 2 2009 Chargers with 5700 miles and one with 2650 on it and there shifter broke there cause was a small spring broke as at this point I did not think Chrysler has it under control as of yet.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just checked my shifter replacement tonight when I intalled my new carbon fiber shifter surround. The pink thingy that broke is now a black thingy. The part number was 04578087AE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts