Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has put a spare tire/wheel in their SRT-8, and if so what did you buy?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is for an 18" wheel. I wonder if a similar setup with a Daytona spare would work for us? If I understand correctly, Daytonas have a spare. The Daytona rims are 20 X 8. Ours are 20 X 9. On the other forum they can put the RT spare on the rear of the SRT, but not on the front. If they get a front flat, they move a good rear wheel up to the front, then put the spare on the back. I just measured. There is almost 1.5" of clearance between the rim and caliper on the rear. Since SRT rims are only 1" wider than Daytona rims, we could probably fit a Daytona spare rim on our rear axle. It would depend on the backspacing of the spare, but I think the chances are pretty good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All i know is I could have definitely used one Sunday night. Apparently, I ran over a piece of steel that put a pretty big cut in my rear passenger tire. Luckily I made it home before all the air escaped (had to use the air compressor once), then it didn't work anymore. I had to jack the car up, take the wheel off and take it to NTB for service. Fortunately for me, they were able to patch it from the inside but I would have been SOL if I had to special order the F1s.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is for an 18" wheel. I wonder if a similar setup with a Daytona spare would work for us? If I understand correctly, Daytonas have a spare. The Daytona rims are 20 X 8. Ours are 20 X 9. On the other forum they can put the RT spare on the rear of the SRT, but not on the front. If they get a front flat, they move a good rear wheel up to the front, then put the spare on the back. I just measured. There is almost 1.5" of clearance between the rim and caliper on the rear. Since SRT rims are only 1" wider than Daytona rims, we could probably fit a Daytona spare rim on our rear axle. It would depend on the backspacing of the spare, but I think the chances are pretty good.

Even though R/T's have 20 inch wheels the spare in an R/T is 18 inches.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Out of everything, this is the one single thing I absolutely hate about the SRT8. One of the caveats of owning a car with biga$$ wheels and tires I guess.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Just curious if anyone has put a spare tire/wheel in their SRT-8, and if so what did you buy?
I don't have one yet, but soon I will buy a cheap 20in ASA rim (for SRT-8) from some rim shop like tire-rack for 200.00. When I replace my RSA's, I will put one of the old tires on the ASA rim. On long trips, I will throw the spare in the trunk, otherwise, leave it in the garage.

Total cost = 200.00(rim) + cost to mount old rubber on new rim :lol:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't have one yet, but soon I will buy a cheap 20in ASA rim (for SRT-8) from some rim shop like tire-rack for 200.00. When I replace my RSA's, I will put one of the old tires on the ASA rim. On long trips, I will throw the spare in the trunk, otherwise, leave it in the garage.

Total cost = 200.00(rim) + cost to mount old rubber on new rim :lol:
That's exactly what I did. Bought the cheapest 19" rim from tire rack with a tire that equals the overall diameter of the stockers. It will fit front or back. Sits in my trunk and now i don't have to worry about a flat. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm waiting for the 08 to come out, but don't believe there will be much change in fixing the issue. Just wondering if there is a tire spot in the trunk that would fit a spare, like the Daytona has? Other thing does it come with a jack at all or is that something that will need to be purchased, as I am in the military and it will be something that needs to get inspected each month, as well as when I goto Germany.
What I'm getting is it possible to get a Daytona spare and have it fit in there The tire will fit on back, but if front goes out, I would need to swap rear tire to front than put spare on back?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey DP03, do you have any of the part numbers to the 19" spare tire and wheel set up that you have? How far can you safely drive on the different size before hurting anything?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I Bought A Used Srt-8 Maggy Wheel For 300 And A New Stock Srt-8 Tire For 200

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey DP03, do you have any of the part numbers to the 19" spare tire and wheel set up that you have? How far can you safely drive on the different size before hurting anything?

The overall diameter is very close to stock, so you could drive as long as you want. And mine will work on the front or the back. I'll try to get some details posted.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The Tirerack part #'s are as follows:

Wheel - ST2057C US9988C. It is an ASA ST2 wheel, 19". Cost = $139

Tire- 55HR94X4 03546050000. It is a Continental Contact 255/50R19.

Total cost before shipping= $294.00

I said to myself I'd only have this thing in my trunk for trips. Turns out its been there ever since I bought it. It may end up the only time I don't have it is at the track........

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine is a $10 plug kit from pep boys, I don't trust goop nor do I want it in my tire!

If I slash the tire I'm SOL.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wouldn't bother me to gear up with three others and order a set of wheels, and maybe tires, and split em. A stock wheel each, and put whatever rubber band on it you want. Anybody interested?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm waiting for the 08 to come out, but don't believe there will be much change in fixing the issue. Just wondering if there is a tire spot in the trunk that would fit a spare, like the Daytona has? Other thing does it come with a jack at all or is that something that will need to be purchased, as I am in the military and it will be something that needs to get inspected each month, as well as when I goto Germany.
What I'm getting is it possible to get a Daytona spare and have it fit in there The tire will fit on back, but if front goes out, I would need to swap rear tire to front than put spare on back?
The spare will not fit in the well.

Another thing to be aware of. When you get a flat the ground clearance to a jacking point is real tight, about 3". You may want to cut a couple of short pieces of 2x12 to drive the flat up on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Replace that tire!

All i know is I could have definitely used one Sunday night. Apparently, I ran over a piece of steel that put a pretty big cut in my rear passenger tire. Luckily I made it home before all the air escaped (had to use the air compressor once), then it didn't work anymore. I had to jack the car up, take the wheel off and take it to NTB for service. Fortunately for me, they were able to patch it from the inside but I would have been SOL if I had to special order the F1s.
Do yourself a favor and replace that tire as soon as possible. That patch will not take much abuse, heat, etc., and you will have tire failure when you least expect it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts