Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivin the Maggie, noticed that the fan kept running. Temp was in the middle as usual. Got home, popped the hood and noticed that the upper radiator hose came off of the radiator. Weird

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The loss of fluid and steam would have been what got the attention of most people. If you werent leaking coolant all over then your system was low to begin with.

The reason i mention that is that something had to cause the hose to come off. It could have been misinstalled by someone working under the engine bay prior, it could have broke/tore. Or a increase in cooling system pressure could have caused it to blow off.

Without getting into a long speech , the key to vehicle diagnostics is not fixing the symptom but fixing the cause. Most everything happens for a reason. Its not likely the hose just jumped off so we need to find the cause of why it happened.

Its kinda like fixing a wire you find broken in a fender. Fixing the wire is great but if the harness is not mounted correctly and its movement caused the broken wire, then the broken wire or others will come back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
^^^^ I agree. My wife drives this car. I went out to get breakfast, drove for about 20 mins. Temp gauge was in the middle. Everything looked ok. Then I heard the fans running high. At a stop light, I saw a slight whif of steam. Home was around the corner. When I stopped, temp was still 1/2. Opened the hood and saw that the upper radiator hose had slid off of the radiator. Went out and bought new clamps. Old one just kinda slid off with just a little effort.Put a new one on ( screw clamp) Filled the resevior ( sorry) with 3/4 of a gallon of Prestone ( hope thats ok cuz it says its safe for ALL cars and ALL models) It was the pre-mixed version. Ran the car for about 10 mins. Level went down a little. Then went and drove the car. Went about 1/2 mile. Temp was at 1/2. Then I heard the fans back on again and went home. While going home temp rose, and rose to the line UNDER the red. ( Never went in red). Then went down a little. Got home and haven't had a chance to look at it since ( moving). Couple of questions:
1) Could the Prestone have messed it up?
2) The hoses look ok, what could have caused the hose to come off? Could the stat have problems and not open? How can u tell if stat is working properly?
3) what other things should I look at? Car has about 55,000. on it.
4) This has NOT been my weekend. On top of this, my Charger got hit in the rear ( not too bad) I think I'm Havin a stroke.
5) How much coolant does the car hold? I'm not sure how much was lost. When I filled the res, it took 3/4 of a gallon. I know I should check it now ( level could have gone down due to air pockets etc.) I'm just wooried that the temp being so high could damage more.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
p.s. no codes showed and car never went into limp

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
prestone "mix with anything crap" is junk. you need to get hoat coolant from the dealer or get the whole system flushed and get some coolant from brian at www.bndautomotive.com.

The reason the temp gauge spiked was you didnt fill the system correctly. You have some air pockets. Its too late now to fill it differently so just watch the gauge for a couple weeks. If the gauge spikes, turn the car off , wait a minute, the air will move, and the gauge will go back to normal. As these air bubbles "hiccup' in the system the coolant will leave the degas bottle and you'll be able to put some more coolant in there.

good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok to be safe, towed car to stealership. The only thing they said was that the hose didn't seal with the radiator. So, new upper hose and clamps, I told then to change thermostat, going to do a flush and fill ( question? How can Prestone say they are safe for ALL makes and ALL models when, apparantly I f'ed up by putting that in ( according to the dealer)?) While it was in, did state safety inspection and they found the right outer tie rod end had play in it. Getting that fixed too. Any other ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts