Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The smell is like a burning oder and it is wrecking my new car smell. So I took it into the dealer and find out there is a TSB on this TSB 24-006-06. They say they cleaned the ac evaporator and then coated the cooling coil but it still stinks. Whats my next step here. I assume the evaporator is behind the dash so I really don't like the idea of them ripping out the dash.
Anyone else here have this problem?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Don't use Recirculate for a week. I've heard that the extensive use of it leads to the smell.

I had the same problem and it seemed to clear up after not using recirc for a week.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I got the ordor, no fix yet....What is causing it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine smells horribly sour!

I have the same problem it has to be something with an Air filter somewhere. I forgot to ask while I was in getting the Mobil 1 synthetic dropped into the engine.

I got the ordor, no fix yet....What is causing it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
same smell here and ive had the car about a month now. I thought I just accidentally used the wrong rag to clean the seat and it left a "moldy" smell. I bought some air freshener to cover it up. hmmmmmmm......:angry:

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have the same experience everytime i acelerate really hard constantly, racing 0-60, i had the same problem with my last hummer, press gass to the end you will get that smelly burned oil in your car . but none is permanent, kindda five minutes and go
yours is permanent?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does seem to come and go. 1st happened at 500 mis for a few days then stopped until it hit 7,500 mi. Dealer tried to fix it and it still did it for another week. It seems to have stopped for now. Differently not from dogging on engine though because It was doing it for a month and I wasn't driving it hard and if their coating the AC coil with something that means its something on the coil is making the oder. Probably made in China.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I had this and have had it addressed.
Cause: If you live in hot/humid areas and run your AC on reserc a lot, you are prone to this occurring.
Fix: As stated above, there is a TSB for this, but you have to be careful to state you do not run the AC in reserc all the time or they may give you more hastle fixing it than is necessary. The dealer will spray an anti-microbial in the coil/condenser. This alone will cause a bit of a strange smell for a few days. Next, run your reserc as little as possible. If you have to, run it till the car gets cool enough, then turn it off.
I had this done at one dealer shortly after getting my car. It helped for a while, but never seem to go completely away and eventually got worse. I took it to another dealer (the one I prefer to use) and they treated it again. So far it is very good, once in a long while when it has been very muggy I get a wiff of odor when I first turn on the AC after being parked for a while, but it goes away quickly.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Its not uncommon for mildew to form on the contantly wet evaporator coils to create that nasty smell. Here's what I have done with good success:
Open the hood to get easy access to the A/C system air intake vent on the passenger side cowl. If you have a cabin filter, remove it for this procedure. Turn the car ON but don't start the engine. Set the A/C system on any manual mode so its not on RECIRC and set the fan speed to med or high. Spray Lysol (choose your favorite scent) into the air intake vent for about 30 seconds, moving the spray back and forth across the entire intake opening. This will get a good coating of Lysol on the evaporator coils. Turn everything OFF, replace the cabin filter (spray it too if you like), close the hood and let everything sit for a while so the Lysol can penetrate and kill the bacteria. Reset your A/C controls to your favorite position and enjoy fresher air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've taken mine to the dealer as well and I think it was about $300 for them to spray down the evaporator coil with something a bit stronger than Lysol. It lasted about 6 months, and now I'm back to the Lysol since it's cheaper. Having to choose between breathing mold spores, Lysol, or exhaust fumes (since I'm told not to use recirc as much) is really aggravating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.