Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a number of reasons, I won't buy a vehicle from a company with Chinese ownership. Given that the merger with Peugeot introduces a major shareholder that is an Chinese state-owned company, are people re-evaluating their choices?

Personally, that directly led to me considering a GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe instead of a Grand Cherokee or Durango.

Looking like I'll be getting a 2021 Yukon at this juncture.

Best.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
All trade and companies are so far-flung across multiple nationalities any more, it's nearly impossible to avoid one country's connection to any others.
Buy the vehicle that suits your needs and budget best and don't stress yourself out over every little thing that you have NO control over. I love my '19 KL Cherokee Trailhawk and would not choose any other vehicle to replace it right now.
I judge vehicles on their merits and ability to handle what I need it for, compared to it's price. I truly don't give a damn if someone calls it a "Fiat." It's a JEEP.
We could spend a very long time discussing yet again what vehicle companies "belong" to what countries. Like the "American" Dodge Charger that's made in Canada by a German/Italian/Mexican/Chinese/etc, etc. company. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I just buy the vehicle I like. All the car brands have a supply chain connection or investment with China in one way or another. GM recently announced it is going to sell full-size sport-utility vehicle (SUV) models in China.
GM has a Shanghai-based joint venture with SAIC Motor Corp Ltd making Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac vehicles. It has another venture, SGMW, with SAIC and Guangxi Automobile Group, producing no-frills mini-vans, which has started manufacturing higher-end cars.

Exclusive: GM thinks bigger in China with plan to import full-size SUVs

Reactions: TGUN11

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So now we have peeling door and touch screen panels, and brake pads that don't contact all of the rotor surface eh?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yep. I don't trust the Chinese government at all but the China supply chain is globally everywhere. Global/international companies will go to any supplier that can give them a better deal on order fulfillment.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Isn't China now making Tesla 3 and shipping them to the EU. Might not be long before Elon, expands Chinese operations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While it bothers me if you were to boycot everything that traced back to China you wouldn't be left with much. I always buy cars i like so as long as I like whatever mopar products are being sold under new ownership i'd still buy one. Unless there's something I like more.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you guys, but this isn't just a Chinese supply chain. It is direct investment in FCA (or whatever it'll be called once the Puegeot merger is complete) and a STATE OWNED Chinese auto manufacturer. So that is the Chinese government as an investor. The joint ventures INSIDE China are inevitable for any company that wants to sell cars in China.

They're even HQ'ed in Wuhan. :)

Best,

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Sad part is, lots of the parts in every car, regardless of mfg, are now China made. Our wheels have been coming from China for years. It will only increase as margins on each car decrease. Mfg's have to make money, if they don't, they are gone so they have to source the best deal for parts.
I'm not just refering to FCA, its everyone. The US makers are becoming more and more, just assembler's. Same with any company outside China. And its not just cars, its everything.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sad part is, lots of the parts in every car, regardless of mfg, are now China made. Our wheels have been coming from China for years. It will only increase as margins on each car decrease. Mfg's have to make money, if they don't, they are gone so they have to source the best deal for parts.
I'm not just refering to FCA, its everyone. The US makers are becoming more and more, just assembler's. Same with any company outside China. And its not just cars, its everything.
Next thing you know, they'll be making Chargers in Canada......oh wait. :)

Best,

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Next thing you know, they'll be making Chargers in Canada......oh wait. :)

Best,
Yea, them daym canucks! Talking all our jobs!!!!! Invade, Invade!! Oh wait I'm from there!! At least the trade if quite fair between Canada and the US, unlike china that undercuts everyone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's not like I buy a new car every year or two, like some folks. The next car in the fleet to be replaced will likely by my wife's Mazda6 and who knows what car she'll end up with. It's going to be a few years before she's ready anyway. We just put new tires on it this summer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hear you guys, but this isn't just a Chinese supply chain. It is direct investment in FCA (or whatever it'll be called once the Puegeot merger is complete) and a STATE OWNED Chinese auto manufacturer. So that is the Chinese government as an investor. The joint ventures INSIDE China are inevitable for any company that wants to sell cars in China.

They're even HQ'ed in Wuhan. :)

Best,
its separate from the Chinese joint venture deal. The only investment would be if Dongfeng had a separate deal with Chrysler like they did with Renault and that wouldn't be a bad thing if it meant mopar presence in china.
What I don't like about the merger is when you now have two european companies as part of it to one North American part it's not as equal as it was with Fiat and they might cut the chrysler part of the budget and rebadge the garbage euro cars fiat and Renault are known for as Chrysler brands instead.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Darn, these Chargers are made in Canada? Imports? JK guys.

I understand the investment and office location concerns.
But as electric vehicles increasingly become more prominent, China as a battery supplier will increasingly grow.

China already holds vast amounts of real-estate amd acreage in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada owned more property in the USA than China, but there is no comparison between the track records of the two and ANY USA holdings by China is not well taken by me.

I cant even wrap my arms around how to boycott China, or China made products, or products heavily reliant on China to make just because of the precious alloys and minerals they control.

I know the Wrangler forums had a lot of heated debate about China goods ranging from winches to tops. I felt the discussion just sort of fizzled out due to the futility of trying to track everything down and measuring how best to curb supporting China directly or indirectly.

Good discussion here though.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Darn, these Chargers are made in Canada? Imports? JK guys.

I understand the investment and office location concerns.
But as electric vehicles increasingly become more prominent, China as a battery supplier will increasingly grow.
Tesla batteries are made right here in Nevada in a Tesla factory.

They may end up also making them in China for vehicles that are assembled for sale in that country.

Best,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tesla batteries are made right here in Nevada in a Tesla factory.

They may end up also making them in China for vehicles that are assembled for sale in that country.

Best,
And guaranteed they'll steal the tech to clone into CCP state owned manufacturers EVs and "PowerWalls".

Ten years ago counsel was telling employees to watch out for Chinese spies. Today, although the facts tell them they are stealing tech, they won't say "China" because of diversity training and appearance of racism.

The steal will be accelerated with Chairman Joe.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And guaranteed they'll steal the tech to clone into CCP state owned manufacturers EVs and "PowerWalls".

Ten years ago counsel was telling employees to watch out for Chinese spies. Today, although the facts tell them they are stealing tech, they won't say "China" because of diversity training and appearance of racism.

The steal will be accelerated with Chairman Joe.
Intellectual property theft has been done in the open for all to see in China since at least the 80's. They've become increasingly aggressive about it, both from abuse of joint ventures and outright corporate espionage outside of their borders. Bill Clinton is the one who pushed for China's entry into the World Trade Organization. I lived and worked in China on and off from 2000 to about 2010 and ran a publicly traded company with American ownership. The surveillance, harassment of my expat employees, and constant efforts to steal intellectual property and employees with access to IP were ultimately enough to cause me to pull out of the country entirely. The government cannot be trusted and when I have choices around what I buy, I avoid Chinese products where I can. Clearly, I can't do that all of the time, but in this case, it is quite easy to do. To the extent possible, I will not be complicit in selling them the rope that they'll use to hang us.

Check out this article. Dongfeng Motors created an almost exact knock-off of the AM General Humvee, but there are others too:

Top 10 Chinese knockoff cars vs. the original designs

Best,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ten years in a polluted Commie metropolis? With family in tow?
I don't know how you did it.

No way I'm buying a made in China car.

Their MO is to buy the name so selling mostly Made in China cars under Chrysler Dodge Jeep for sale in the USA makes sense. The Canada plants would be shut down and abandoned I'm sure with new assembly factories in the US. Don't need another set of import/export laws and bribes to deal with long term. Current administration would block it but with China Joe its family business as usual as long as 10 for the Big Guy. They'll probably put brah Jimbo Biden on the board with all of his experience in the auto industry.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ten years in a polluted Commie metropolis? With family in tow?
I don't know how you did it.

No way I'm buying a made in China car.

Their MO is to buy the name so selling mostly Made in China cars under Chrysler Dodge Jeep for sale in the USA makes sense. The Canada plants would be shut down and abandoned I'm sure with new assembly factories in the US. Don't need another set of import/export laws and bribes to deal with long term. Current administration would block it but with China Joe its family business as usual as long as 10 for the Big Guy. They'll probably put brah Jimbo Biden on the board with all of his experience in the auto industry.
The pollution was pretty intense. Literally from the moment I'd get off the plane, my eyes would turn red and my nose would start running. After a day or two outside of the country, the symptoms would disappear. And that was in Beijing. In other parts of the country it is a LOT worse.

As far as buying the husk of an existing company goes, that is what they did with Volvo. I wouldn't buy one of those either. Driving around in China for a while, you get a sense of what happens to their cars in an accident (even the most modern versions). It's not pretty. Literally pieces of human squeezed out of gaps in the mangled body work like playdoh.

This is what you wind up with:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts