Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I skipped the 5000 miles tire rotation and what ever else they do at 5K. Is there a 10K maintenance? I don't remember. And now I also skipped the 15K recommended maintenance. Do I really need an engine oil flush and trans flush at 15K? this would cost me $300...I don't have that kind of money for "recommended" maintenance.

How hard is it to do the flush of the engine/trans yourself?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I skipped the 5000 miles tire rotation and what ever else they do at 5K. Is there a 10K maintenance? I don't remember. And now I also skipped the 15K recommended maintenance. Do I really need an engine oil flush and trans flush at 15K? this would cost me $300...I don't have that kind of money for "recommended" maintenance.

How hard is it to do the flush of the engine/trans yourself?
YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE OIL!!! 3k interval with non-synthetic, 6k with synthetic.
Transmission fluid change at 60K.
An air filter will more than pay for itself in fuel economy.
The rest of the schedule is mostly inspection.
If you can't afford the most basic maintenance, then you can't afford the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE OIL!!! 3k interval with non-synthetic, 6k with synthetic.
Transmission fluid change at 60K.
An air filter will more than pay for itself in fuel economy.
The rest of the schedule is mostly inspection.
If you can't afford the most basic maintenance, then you can't afford the car.
Transmission service at 20k-30k check the fluid condition at 20k if it's good change it at 30k. We service a lot of chargers at our shop, and some go 20k and some go 30k, depends on fluid condition. But your last point was spot on IMO, if you cant afford basic maintenance, then you shouldn't be suprised when something goes wrong down the road. Transmission services and oil changes are a lot cheaper than buying a rebuild on a trans or an engine. Yes parts fail but preventitive maint. goes a long way towards avoiding possible problems.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well yea of course i change the oil/filter every 3k...but the recommended maintenance is something the dealer recommends on top of the oil change.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't know the details on your Charger, but you shouldn't be flushing anything at 15,000 miles. Check your owner's manual for the factory recommended maintenance schedule.

Whether it's recommended or not, a transmission, power steering, and rear differential fluid change somewhere between 30-60k would be good, solid preventative maintenance, but the only thing I think I'd flush would be the braking system, preferably with a good DOT4 fluid like Pentosin.

If you car has electric power steering, make sure to use the correct EPS fluid, like Pentosin CHF 11S.

The stealership is likely just trying to sell you the most profitable services with little regard to what is best for your car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION... EVER... do a pan drop and fluid & filter change every 30K

How much fluid do you refill after doing a pan drop?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Which trans? IIRC my NAG1 5 speed in my 2013 took about 6 quarts, and the eight speed in my 2016 about 1/2 quart more.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yea I have the 5 spd. After doing a pan drop would that be 6 quarts drained?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Add back in what you drained out...as long as the fluid is close to the same temp (hot trans fluid expands a lot) I did mine with cold fluid on a 60F day and added in 5.5 - 6 qts. I would get a pan with a drain plug--makes it easier the next time out..you can get a Dorman Pan with drain plug from Rock Auto

Attachments

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
I hope you didn't have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. They are very picky with the service requirements on that, if you're late on an oil change or skip one, they'll cancel it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The actual required maintenance is in your owners manual I believe.

What the dealer "recommends" is not necessarily what the car requires. If you compare the two, you'll notice the dealership has you doing WAY more than the engineers who designed the car say is needed.

3k mile (or 5000km) oil changes has carried along many many decades and is old world intervals. Read your owners manual. If I remember correctly for my 3.5L Charger it simply states "do not exceed 10,000km".

My general rule of thumb which has worked great for me the last 10 years or so has been to change it when it starts to look bad (dark). I've never had an engine problem aside from a starter or alternator dying.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Add back in what you drained out...as long as the fluid is close to the same temp (hot trans fluid expands a lot) I did mine with cold fluid on a 60F day and added in 5.5 - 6 qts. I would get a pan with a drain plug--makes it easier the next time out..you can get a Dorman Pan with drain plug from Rock Auto
X2 on the Dorman pan. I put one on my R/T and I think I'll order one for my 300C too. P/N is 265-866.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
What is the best filter to go with?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
What is the best filter to go with?
I figured I couldn't go wrong with the OEM, so I picked up a gen-yoo-wine Mopar 52108325AA, $21.50 shipped, from that website named for a river in South America.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts