Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought car and noticed no spare...? anyone add one ? is there even room in the trunk if you take the Styrofoam out? If so, what car did you get the spare from...size tire ect...Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Was Dodge (SRT) just trying to save weight? I didn't realize there was no spare in the car either.

Couldn't you get the stuff from a wrecked SXT or R/T model? The picture looks just like the stuff that is in my car, less a spacer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
648 Posts
I believe the spare tire well is too small for a full size spare for the SRT due to the 20" rim size required to clear the rotor and brake caliper. The donut spares will not fit over the brakes either. This is why the kit I posted above has an adapter to extend the spare out away from the brakes.
From factory, the SRT had a tire repair kit, a bottle of tire goo, and a compressor. Seems most used SRTs are now missing these. The foam insert in the tire well was used to hold these and keep them from rattling around. I had heard some SRTs had run-flats tires from factory, but have not been able to confirm this.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Only SRTs (here in the States, cant vouch for export cars) that came with runflats were the Jeeps. No, the SRT tires wont fit, and any other spare wont clear the fronts. Given the relative rarity of flats these days, I feel quite confident running the latex/compressor system, but I have combined it with an old fashioned plug kit. If you dont have the stock compressor kit, Tire Rack sells one from Continental, who developed this technology on request from Mercedes way back. An, oppsed to the stock Dodge kit, which cost twice as much, the refills from Dodge cost 4 times what the Conti ones do. Hell, the Dodge refill costs the same as the entire Conti kit.

Kit costs $80

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38&category=Vehicle+Convenience+and+Safety

REplaceement latex sealant kit. $28

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=39&category=Vehicle+Convenience+and+Safety

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a quick google on this and seems a can of Slime and a compressor, and tire pres gage will do the trick for a lot less $$. The slime may or may not hurt the tire press sensors though, but says you can clean the sensors to get them working again. Still would be nice to have a spare that fit....that $300 kit is a bit pricey and not sure it will fit the car. Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Only SRTs (here in the States, cant vouch for export cars) that came with runflats were the Jeeps. No, the SRT tires wont fit, and any other spare wont clear the fronts. Given the relative rarity of flats these days, I feel quite confident running the latex/compressor system, but I have combined it with an old fashioned plug kit. If you dont have the stock compressor kit, Tire Rack sells one from Continental, who developed this technology on request from Mercedes way back. An, oppsed to the stock Dodge kit, which cost twice as much, the refills from Dodge cost 4 times what the Conti ones do. Hell, the Dodge refill costs the same as the entire Conti kit.

Kit costs $80

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38&category=Vehicle+Convenience+and+Safety

REplaceement latex sealant kit. $28

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=39&category=Vehicle+Convenience+and+Safety
I've been meaning to order another kit for YEARS now :beer_yum:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I did a quick google on this and seems a can of Slime and a compressor, and tire pres gage will do the trick for a lot less $$. The slime may or may not hurt the tire press sensors though, but says you can clean the sensors to get them working again. Still would be nice to have a spare that fit....that $300 kit is a bit pricey and not sure it will fit the car. Thanks for the replies.
since the slime bonds to the tire, tire shop guys hate it. the latex you find in the conti kit or the dodge kit, that stuff can be washed out really easy. I know because I used it and helped the tire guy clean it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts