Charger Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a set of Kooks Headers and I was wanted to know how you liked them. Do you feel you got any extra performance out of them? Are you having any issues with them? Throwing any codes? Any rubbing problems in the engine compartment? Scrapping the road? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
X2

I've run em on 3 Mustangs and I wouldn't buy too many other brands. Wondering how they fit the SRT.

gary

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
they are great, no complaints. the install is a PITA, but plenty of support from vendors/forums. i did go off and weld into mine but it was worth it. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
The Kooks have been known to throw codes. The solution to that problem is to either drive above 2000 RPM all the time or to buy a Predator. The Predator can disable the rear O2 sensors, which are what throw the codes. Once you do that the problem is solved, no codes and no side effects to your car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Turning off rear o2 sensors with long tubes is standard procedure with me. I have found that the length of the tubes disapates too much heat and the sensors don't read like they are supposed to.

Also, O2 sensor codes can be related to the install. For some reason, those sensors are very sensitive to any handling when they are removed. Replacing them has eliminated codes. Swapping them from side to side to see if the codes move confirms that. Just my 2 cents from a few late model long tube installs.

gary

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Waste of money...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=88877

Many more examples available.
Don't think it's a waste of money. This guy was untuned and had Intake, and full exhaust with a 3 inch cat back. Car was probably running pig rich. I think with a proper custom tune, he would see some gains. Maybe not as much as a 5.7 though, because, the SRT OEM headers don't seem too bad. Had kooks headers on the GTO. They rock. I will be buying them for the charger!

·
Banned
206 Posts
Don't think it's a waste of money. This guy was untuned and had Intake, and full exhaust with a 3 inch cat back. Car was probably running pig rich. I think with a proper custom tune, he would see some gains. Maybe not as much as a 5.7 though, because, the SRT OEM headers don't seem too bad. Had kooks headers on the GTO. They rock. I will be buying them for the charger!
Disagree. I'll take the stock SRT-8 manifolds over the Kooks any day of the week.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Running long tubes without modifying the tune is what the waste of money is. When you do that, you are asking the engine to automatically use the additional breathing capabilities on its own. Its not going to do anything that you dont tell it to.

An engine is basically an air pump. And the more efficiently that pump can work, the more power it will make. Long tubes headers make it more efficient because they allow the exhaust gases to leave the chamber easier. But if the engine isn't tuned to utilize this efficiency, you get nothing.

Additionally, if you dont increase the efficiency of the intake side, the exhaust won't matter much. Whether that is a stock airbox or an aftermarket CAI or whatever, everything has to work together.

You cant just bolt on headers and expect big HP gains. Just like you cant expect big HP from bolting on a new air intake.

I have an AFE and a Loudmouth on my car. I did it for sound. If I apply a predator 93 octane tune , I will expect more power. If I ever go with long tubes I will have to get a custom tune done to maximize my gains.

Yes, long tubes are a high $/HP mod, but they are a small part of a bigger picture. I just dropped a few bux for some Kooks for my 700+ HP big block. Im running 545 cubic inches, so 2 1/8 primaries with 4 inch collectors is a neccessary expense in that case. I dont think that stock ford 460 manifolds would do the job.

Waste of money? Not if you use them to their potential.

Just my 2 cents.

gary

·
Premium Member
748 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Need tuning with them. I have them on my car along with a cam (stock heads) and the car runs PIG rich!! I need tuning, I just haven't broken down and gotten it yet. And yes, they do give you extra power but not as much if you don't compensate for the headers as others have stated. I have all of the pieces in place: cam, long tubes, full catback, Volant CAI but the car is no where near dialed in without a tune. The B&G that I have does not take into account the cam nor the headers so I am leaving a good amount of power on the table as I sit today. Investment and horsepower won't be fully realized with headers unless you mod to compliment the headers AND get a tune. Either do both or don't do them at all. Only reason I haven't gotten a tune yet is because I am waiting on another mod to compliment the headers. After that, I will look to dial the car in.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Read down and you'll see he only had a couple hundred miles on them. Without tuning, mine took about 600 miles to get adapted. Codes went away when I added O2 extensions.

And you'll find many, many more happy Kooks customers then not.
600 miles to get adapted? Why? All you need to do is pull the #11 fuse.

If people want to continue believing that the headers add power, then that's fine. But I'll be running 11's with the stock manifolds and stock heads & cam. If anyone in the NY/NJ/CT area who has headers wants to prove me wrong, give me a shout and we'll meet up to do some pulls.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
600 miles to get adapted? Why? All you need to do is pull the #11 fuse.

If people want to continue believing that the headers add power, then that's fine. But I'll be running 11's with the stock manifolds and stock heads & cam. If anyone in the NY/NJ/CT area who has headers wants to prove me wrong, give me a shout and we'll meet up to do some pulls.
Some people on this site have a problem with nitrous...me being one of them.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Some people on this site have a problem with nitrous...me being one of them.
I'm not running nitrous and don't intend on running it either. I will run 11's with a stock 6.1L and NO POWER ADDERS. I already ran 12.3 with just a tune, exhaust, and drag radials.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm not running nitrous and don't intend on running it either. I will run 11's with a stock 6.1L and NO POWER ADDERS. I already ran 12.3 with just a tune, exhaust, and drag radials.
Dude, how then?? If you don't want to say on here, PM me...i'm very curious and want to get my R/T into the mid 12s. If you want to help me out, thatll be much appreciated.

-Steve

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
hes got a maggie srt8. still wont make 11s without more serious mods though.

this is the guy who posts videos of himself racing cars on the highway. in all honesty, i cant see anyone who does stuff like that as a reliable source of information.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
hes got a maggie srt8. still wont make 11s without more serious mods though.

this is the guy who posts videos of himself racing cars on the highway. in all honesty, i cant see anyone who does stuff like that as a reliable source of information.
Yeah, I kinda figured, but really there's got to be a reason why he thinks he can run 11s...i just wanted to know how he thinks he's gonna do that...I mean SRTs are runnin low 12s with serious mods...

·
Banned
206 Posts
Dude, how then?? If you don't want to say on here, PM me...i'm very curious and want to get my R/T into the mid 12s. If you want to help me out, thatll be much appreciated.

-Steve
This video has my mods in the opening frame:

http://www.titsup-racing.com/video/maggie/maggie_12.35.wmv

As for your R/T, I think you'll need more than just a few bolt ons to go mid 12's. I'm far from an expert, but the 5.7 seems to respond very, very well to heads & cam. Part of that is probably because the 5.7 has a pretty low CR from the factory and the aftermarket heads brings that up quite a bit. A converter and drag radials are also a must.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.