Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering what the latest word and or rumour on the next generation SRT motor is.......and when it's slated for??? Are SRT's lookin at a power boost for 09 models?I talked to my dealer today and he said (doesn't mean it's true,but usually this guy is on track) that they do expect Challengers sometime around June,but no word on the motor.
With the Viper now at 600hp..that leaves room for the SRT's to have a power boost and not be a "threat" to the Vipers throne.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
With gas prices and new ownership, it will be interesting to see just how much larger/faster these engines get in the future.........

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think if they ever get around to adding some newer technology to these motors and putting in a 6 or 7 speed gear box we will be able to see great fuel economy #'s out of a beast of an engine. Even now on the highway these sleds get ok gas mileage with this 5 speed gear box.

With gas prices and new ownership, it will be interesting to see just how much larger/faster these engines get in the future.........

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
They need variable valve timing to increase torque and improve MPG

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dont be suprised now that Cerberus is running Chrysler if nothing changes at all or they drops SRT line all together. They are only interested in making $$$$ not the small muscle car market.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Dont be suprised now that Cerberus is running Chrysler if nothing changes at all or they drops SRT line all together. They are only interested in making $$$$ not the small muscle car market.
Actually, I've seen that the SRT line is safe. Those models are a profitable "sub-line" of vehicles. Limited production line run, but basically, mass produced parts for a low-premium price.

If there is a "White body" Challenger to join the ACR Viper then I think Cerb. might be serious about real "racing" markets... AND it's another area to move parts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Considering the improvements being made all across the board...production, advertisement, etc...I don't really think we have much to worry about

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
My hope would be in some effort being put into efficiency increases. Right now Chrysler is not exactly competitive when it comes to driveline losses (although better than Ford from what I've seen). Imagine if they managed to whittle down the losses from 20-ish% to the 14-15% that GM has attained with their Hydramatic-based RWD drivelines, that's 5-6% free horsepower at the wheel when hot-dogging it and a corresponding improvement in fuel efficiency when you're not.

So that's like 20 free rwhp and maybe 1-2 MPG improvement all around? Without having to touch the motor at all. Instead of having to crank up an R&T R/T's 5.7 Hemi to 375-380 hp just to get that same rwhp gain and in turn suffering a MPG drop.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dateline: 1967

"The 6.4 liter version, at a historic 392 cubic inches, due in 2008 with the Dodge Challenger, does the SRT-8 one better, and we'd like to know how since the extra size isn't all that much. It generates a full 505 horsepower. Because it’s a crate engine for racing only, it’s quite possible that some sacrifices made for gas mileage and emissions reduction in even the SRT-8 version (6.1 liters, created in mid-2005, and not using multiple diplacement) have been removed. "

It took me a while, cuz I had to read this a few too many times to get it, but I finally got it. Interpreted, this states that the crate 392, for racing only, is due out on the Challenger expected in June for the street.

This is just so cool!

Finally, we get a race only engine in a street car again. I wonder if EPA will figure this out like I did......

·
Registered
743 Posts
Imagine if they managed to whittle down the losses from 20-ish% to the 14-15% that GM has attained with their Hydramatic-based RWD drivelines, that's 5-6% free horsepower at the wheel when hot-dogging it and a corresponding improvement in fuel efficiency when you're not.
If they get the RWD AutoManual going (dual-clutch AMT) then the current automatics are on the way out.
I hope they want to move these into the RWD cars and trucks quickly as it will improve both MPG and usable power. (not to mention shift speed!)

·
Registered
743 Posts
It took me a while, cuz I had to read this a few too many times to get it, but I finally got it. Interpreted, this states that the crate 392, for racing only, is due out on the Challenger expected in June for the street.
I bet that will be THE option on the NON-STREET legal "whitebody challenger".
They will HAVE to clean up emissions for street purposes.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I don't think that they can afford to do that - not with the duds that they have served up lately with the Sebring, Avenger, Caliber, and half the Jeep lineup.

They need something positive to keep.

They really have to revamp their small car and small sedan products to make them more competitive. And they are way behind on the hybrid and diesel fronts.

Lots of work to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts