Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 2019 Charger RT and I thought the 5.7 was enough power when I test drove it. Well here I am 1 month later wanting more power. I should've gone with the scat pack but I can't anymore so now my next choice is to add performance parts. I would like to get into the 12's or 11's at the 1/2 mile. I also don't want to spend a whole lot under tech hood. But it all depends on the hp I get how much more I spend.
The only thing I have done is a muffler delete. It gets me some noice but now I need the performance to back it up. Any recommendations ?

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Welcome to the forum! For the performance goals you have, pretty much a supercharger is what you’ll need. That’s the relatively simple option, option B is to upgrade the cam, intake manifold, heads, headers. You don’t really get anything from a CAI and catback.

By the time you do all those with parts, install, and tuning, you probably already spent supercharger money on it. You’re looking at 5-10k extra, a voided warranty, and a car which will be harder to trade in/sell later. Something to think about.

People on this forum have done it both ways successful though. It’s all about how much money you want to spend and the risks you’re willing to take. Use the search bar to get some ideas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
First post I see so welcome to the forums.

Whats your budget for upgrades?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nitro Kit, pro installation $5k including tune.
Supercharger but 7psi on stock internals might get a skilled driver 12+sec 1/4 mile with low gearing. If you install its on average $6k parts, $1K Dyno Tune. Pro installation is $12k including dyno tune.

Cams? Head work, headers, toss out the normal daily drivability of the car. Blowers solve this with equalizer bypasses.

11seconds on forced induction? Forged short block. Supercharges as above. 9psi or more.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If I had to buy a new Charger it would be an R/T with my creature comfort options and slap a 7psi blower on it.
I don't need the suspension extras of the 392 cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum! For the performance goals you have, pretty much a supercharger is what you’ll need. That’s the relatively simple option, option B is to upgrade the cam, intake manifold, heads, headers. You don’t really get anything from a CAI and catback.

By the time you do all those with parts, install, and tuning, you probably already spent supercharger money on it. You’re looking at 5-10k extra, a voided warranty, and a car which will be harder to trade in/sell later. Something to think about.

People on this forum have done it both ways successful though. It’s all about how much money you want to spend and the risks you’re willing to take. Use the search bar to get some ideas.

Good luck!
If I where to do a supercharger. What all would I need to do? Once I install a supercharger what other things would I need to do to support that power. Also any Supercharger recommendations? I was also told to get some radials or slicks for the track or I would just spin. Any difference between cheap and expensive Radials?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I installed an edelbrock E-force 15340 kit, it's 6.5 to 7-psi of boost which is safe for a stock (non-forged) internals 5.7L.
I got a 100 hp gain.
Look for my write up in the forced induction thread in this forum for the details.
If you can do or have friends or family for the the install congratulations you save $5k+.
You will only need to have it dyno tuned, the 1534 kit comes with a programer but I advise you pass on it and flatbed it to a dyno tune if you have to.
After my thread if you have questions you can reply here or there.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
If I where to do a supercharger. What all would I need to do? Once I install a supercharger what other things would I need to do to support that power. Also any Supercharger recommendations? I was also told to get some radials or slicks for the track or I would just spin. Any difference between cheap and expensive Radials?
I have not personally done it but a few years ago I was looking into that as well, and the Edelbrock E-Force kept coming up as a good choice. Look into the georgiapi write-up like he said, but there are others that have done that or other setups successfully too. There are some horror stories out there as well though, learn from other’s mistakes! Tuners don’t mess with our cars as often as mustangs or Camaros so finding a good shop is extremely important.

I’m waiting for delivery and install of new wheels/tires and I went back and forth on what tires to get. One the one side I wanted to get the most out of the Hellcat and go with street drag radials, but on the other once your tires start hooking up, the chances of something breaking go up exponentially if you’re constantly launching the car hard. Just look up busted differentials on YouTube.

I decided that I didn’t go to the track enough to justify drag tires, and want year round usability for the car to go on road trips and all that so I went with all season tires. Nitto NT555Rs are a common drag radial that can be used on the street, just one example.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I can launch in a street battle with out smoking tires at all, but I avoid those. I have 2.65:1 open differential.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have an Edelbrock 2650 on my 18 R/T with the only other mod being SRT exhaust manifolds making 500/490 @ only 4 PSI. I bought the SC right and installed myself but I think it could be done by a shop for 10-11k. my brother just bought the same set up for his 15 SRT from Hanger Racing for 6550.00 shipped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You want to spend $15K on a 19 RT to make it faster? Sell the RT, use the 15K & buy a 392. :2cents:
well the car isn't worth what I bought it for. so im going to keep this one for a while. I should've just gotten the scat pack or hellcat. The reason I didn't was because for some dumb reason I thought they would just waste to much gas. Come to find out they run about the same. I get an average of 10mpg. Maybe I should've just have gotten the upper models.

·
Registered
231 Posts
well the car isn't worth what I bought it for. so im going to keep this one for a while. I should've just gotten the scat pack or hellcat. The reason I didn't was because for some dumb reason I thought they would just waste to much gas. Come to find out they run about the same. I get an average of 10mpg. Maybe I should've just have gotten the upper models.
You only get 10 mpg from an R/T ? do you ever take your foot off the floor ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm getting just under 20 with a blower and that's with an occasional 3.5-4psi gas to pass or merge.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've written before I would get an R/T and supercharge it before a scat or such. I don't need that kind of suspension. I like the ride and handling of the R/T.
Cannot afford the Hellcat. 400+HP at the wheels is fine for me. I enjoy picking on Camrys and mini vans.
I have Bilestein shocks and General G-Max AS-05 tires. I'm good.
:)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
In all honesty GApi, if you took full advantage of the potential of your blower you would probbaly want to upgrade the suspension to improve handling. I had the same desire to keep the suspension stock on my Mustang GT but after installing the R2300 I learned it was necessary to do a real suspension upgrade. And the harshness of the ride wasn't as bad as i predicted, but oh boy did the improved handling and stability ever payoff big time. But then again I started out with 380 rwhp stock and wemt to 505 and have a solid rear suspension which does ride and handle differently than the u-jointed drivetrain on the Charger. So. . . .

And gas mileage: I too didn't suffer. When I went from NA to FI my mileage for daily driving didn't change much. I think I got a little lighter on the gas pedal because psychologically I just thought that SC would instantly ruin my mpg but in reality I saw a mile or 2 better. When i read the OP gets 10 mpg it takes me back to two vehicles that are designed to get that. A raised Jeep Wrangler rolling on 38 inch tires, weighted down with aftermarket steel bumpers, a winch, and drag inducing LED light bars powered by a piddly 3.6L slammed to the floor to overcome wind resistance. AND a friggin U-Haul 15 foot moving van. Anyone else getting 10 mpg needs to relearn their driving.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks, and like you I too got lighter on the pedal with the same mentality. We shall see on the suspension. I'm researching forged short blocks and/or rotating assemblies because of the lifter failure threat all though I know of some pre 2015 R/T's getting up to 205+k miles with none of that.
But I can do it all myself so I'm just poking around at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got the 2019 Charger RT and I thought the 5.7 was enough power when I test drove it. Well here I am 1 month later wanting more power. I should've gone with the scat pack but I can't anymore so now my next choice is to add performance parts. I would like to get into the 12's or 11's at the 1/2 mile. I also don't want to spend a whole lot under tech hood. But it all depends on the hp I get how much more I spend.
The only thing I have done is a muffler delete. It gets me some noice but now I need the performance to back it up. Any recommendations ?
Bingo, thinking the exact same thing with the same car except with pedal commander installed. Keep thinking that I should have gotten 6.2. or 6.4 but I saved so much money on my car and loaded it with custom leather heat/cooled seats. Did you look at pros and cons with Procharger vs Elebrock or Whittle? Coming from lifted truck world and love learning about this world?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts