Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've seen lot of threads on adding the Hellcat lower airbox and snorkel to other models. I have been unable to find anyone that did instrumented testing before and after. Is there any data out there for either hp/dyno numbers (would it even show any gains on a vehicle that's not moving) or some actual testing at a strip to see if ET or trap speed gained something from the more? colder? air injested through this modification? I would do this to my 2020 Scat Pack 392 rather than a CAI any day even if I wasn't sure of the results BUT it would be nice to know. Maybe someone did already and I just haven't found it?
Thanks to anyone who has more than "seat of the pants" thoughts that it might possibly be better

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Minimal if any. Its all placebo. MOPAR did not leave much HP lingering on the table. Your factory intake is as good or better than any after market. The hellcat system benefits the Hellcat.
Aftermarket companies prey upon the masses. Most CAI's are really hotter then OE. A K&N filter element will allow you longer intervals between filter serving and land fill space.

You will read lots of claims but see no dyno graphs to back them up.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my suspicions as it would be odd of the manufacturer, Dodge in this case, to leave hp on the table as you put it, that would be easily added to this model. As it is in no danger of challenging the Hellcat models in performance and a hp boost would only serve to further bludgeon its competition.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm thinking the Hellcat lower box would certainly help out in very hot summer temps...and could be worth it just for that alone...depending on where you live...

·
Registered
800 Posts
It will get you to ambient quicker so I think it is a better design but I don't think it will actually dyno any higher. There just isn't much to gain from cold air intakes.

Swap to the Hellcat style filter so when it is dirty it will still flow all the air you'd ever need for your 5.7 or 6.4

I'd consider doing the swap on my 5.7 just because I don't like the "Dodge" badge on the front grille and wish I could just remove it!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You would be doing better for felt performance out of a tune for more cost than a CAI but not as much as a Supercharger.
A tune would make your throttle response more sensitive, run your WOT shift points up to 5800+, firm your shifts and make them quicker.
They would optimize your air fuel ratio and spark timing for 93 octane. These two alone would add a minimal gain in HP but felt performance in the car would be noticeable with all the above in combination.

A cat back exhaust would be minimal if any but I confess I have Corsa Exhausts on both my vehicles for the audible experience. You can hear the difference from the cabin but its not in there with you with a Corsa.

I'm from the muscle car era, its remained in my blood. I purchased a new 2005 Silverado knowing I would keep it and installed a Magnuson 8psi kit and still have it. The same for my 2013 Charger 6.5+psi all though purchased used.

Over the years I have made most of the popular mod mistakes painfully and too slowly learning form them. Having the opportunity's to hang out with Dyno operators was a major schooling.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It will get you to ambient quicker so I think it is a better design but I don't think it will actually dyno any higher. There just isn't much to gain from cold air intakes.

Swap to the Hellcat style filter so when it is dirty it will still flow all the air you'd ever need for your 5.7 or 6.4

I'd consider doing the swap on my 5.7 just because I don't like the "Dodge" badge on the front grille and wish I could just remove it!
Last time I looked the filter element is the same for the R/T - SP - HC.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I did the Hellcat lower air box and intake tube on my puny little V6. What did I get? A much better growl from the intake at WOT, the AIT stays very close to ambient when moving, and cools down quicker after sitting in traffic. Performance gain is negligible, but the highway fuel mileage is better- I can get 36-38 on a long steady drive, 34-35 is typical.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I did a before and after dyno session with this and gained 5HP. I run the stocker now.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Last time I looked the filter element is the same for the R/T - SP - HC.
That's incorrect, the Hellcat used a different part number that is rated to flow much more CFM clean or dirty. The R/T and Scat have same part and if the filter is dirty the Scat could potentially not get the full CFM needed at WOT. Most of us don't run a dirty filter so not really an issue but just in case:

I'll warn you this guy's hair is a little "too much" as my dad would have said but he's right on the airflow stats.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'll have to re-look at that. But I do remember when I ordered WIX air filters, they as well as Fram carried part numbers universal between the 6.4 and 6.2. They also probably are applicable to the 3.6 looking at RockAuto

WIX 49746
Fram CA11257
I do see that the MO part numbers are different. Wonder why the aftermarket is common across the board but the Mopar is different for the 6.2. If the 6.2 does flow more and HC owners opt to use an aftermarket drop-in are they depriving their engine of airflow?

·
Registered
800 Posts
It is hard to get real CFM stats on any of the aftermarket filters. They might pass the needed CFM but maybe they don't filter as well too? That's kind of the rap on K&N over the years... sure they flow better but they let in a lot of dirt etc.

With a 5.7 I don't need to worry about flowing 1,000 CFM I'll never need it and I won't let the filter get so dirty anyway but since the cost is cheap I get the HC filter.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I'm using the Mahle 3482 Hellcat filter in my tiny V6...I will probably be able to run it for 5 years before it clogs up enough to slow down the Penastar since the max airflow that the 3.6 can pull in is something around 350-380 cfm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just ordered the 3482 from Summit Racing just might be the best 35 bucks spent.
I have read a lot of the air flow specs and Dodge seems to have done a good job on getting the most from the stock air box’s and the hell cat filter flows the most air and will fit in my 392 airbox

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's what it's all about. If the Factory Air box is already flowing maximum air flow that the 392 or 345 needs then spending money on a CAI system will only get you better sound and no HP gains. I for one am all about HO and going faster not sounding cooler. Same with the Exhaust, I'll never do a mid muffler delete just to sound cooler, if it made my 1/4 mile faster yeah I'm heading in but if it just sounds cooler I'm completely out.
I'm gonna get a Hellcat Air cleaner and I'd like to get a lower air box with the Air tube and test them at the track next spring. I only have 300 miles on my Scat Pack and I want to get a full 1500 on it before I do 1/4 mile runs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts