Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna do my first claybar tomorow to get the rail dust out thats everywhere, any advice? Or just follow instuctions.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Should be pretty straight forward. What Clay bar you using? I use the Turtle wax liquid clay bar. Works great and leave the paint looking so smooth!! Good luck and post pics when your done!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ice Liquid Clay Bar made by Turtle Wax it will give you one h--l of a shine when done, It says to wash after you put it on but I have done both my cars and used quick detailer "dry-wash" to remove and it's the best I have ever seen.

View attachment 26438

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've also used the Mother's clay bar and the Original clay bar. I think they all work well. The Original clay bar was about 5 bucks cheaper than the Mother's, I think.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive used the liquid clay bar, it was all right but did not compare with the clay bar from mothers. with the liquid you gotta wash your car before and after. when you use the clay bar, you can really feel the contaminants come off the surface, at first there is resistance from the surface, then all of a sudden that little piece of clay just slides like its on ice! if given the choice , i would recommend the clay bar over the liquid any day. good luck and post some pics when you are finished! (just dont drop that clay or else it is ruined)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It's pretty easy, just wash your car before hand, and then apply the clay bar. Paint looks like glass when you do this. Do this before a wax, forget resting the takeout on the car before you get in. Everthing will just slide off :headbang:. I have used both the Mother's and Meguiars clay bar kits. I like the Mother's one a little better.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Just be sure you use the spray that comes with it. DO NOT USE STRAIGHT WATER AND KEEP IT WELL LUBED. The spray keeps the clay from adhering to the paint. I used the Mothers Clay Bar Kit and then went over it with my Meguire`s NXT wax and it was awesome.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I used Mother's and it worked great, on my car, my bro's impala and my wife's Grand Cherokee. I just followed the directions, but I always made sure to at least spray and dry it back off after because dirt tends to stick to it afterwards.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
If you drop the clay bar, it goes directly into the trash

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
If you drop the clay bar, it goes directly into the trash
A way to save yourself from that is to tear off small chunks of clay bar. Use it over the vehicle. As you see it changing color as it picks up contaminants that are on your car, toss it and grab a new chunk. This way, if you DO drop it, you dont lose the whole thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just finished doing my car guys, and Im in love, clay bar is the best, I had really really bad rail dust and most came out( a few wouldnt come out but they are really small)

I started out washing the car, then claybar, then rewash, then polish, then wax. Car is so shinny.

I went with all Meguiars stuff as it was on sale at autozone this morning. Started at 8am finshed at 3pm Not bad :/

Also after claybar it sucks to find out u have a rock chip found a few made me sad :/

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Get used to the chips my friend. Our paint is not very tough. It chips if you sneez on it from too close.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Good thread :) thanks for the info. I have picked up the kits a couple of times & put them back down 'cause I was scared! :)
Now maybe I will try it.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Just finished doing my car guys, and Im in love, clay bar is the best, I had really really bad rail dust and most came out( a few wouldnt come out but they are really small)

I started out washing the car, then claybar, then rewash, then polish, then wax. Car is so shinny.

I went with all Meguiars stuff
This is worthless without pictures!!!!
hehehe just razzin ya

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
A way to save yourself from that is to tear off small chunks of clay bar. Use it over the vehicle. As you see it changing color as it picks up contaminants that are on your car, toss it and grab a new chunk. This way, if you DO drop it, you dont lose the whole thing.
This is a good idea if the clay bar is big enough. I would just purchase an extra clay bar so you're not tempted to reuse a dropped one. The clay bars I've dealt with are usually pretty small to start with without having to split them in two.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Gonna do my first claybar tomorow to get the rail dust out thats everywhere, any advice? Or just follow instuctions.
There is some good advice here. All I'd add is to make sure that the car is washed first, as you don't want to drag that dirt over the paint. Then also use plenty of lubricant in a spray bottle. I like to use a car-wash solution that is diluted a lot less than I'd use to wash the car.

It takes a while to get the hang of. For the first few minutes, I found it really hard, but when the clay starts gliding nicely and lifting out all that embedded stuff, it's surprisingly addicitive! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The kit it came with had some spray it said to use, so i was using that, I used almost the entire bottle i didnt want to risk scratching my paint.

Quick Q

next time is it recommended to wax asap after u polish?

·
Registered
498 Posts
next time is it recommended to wax asap after u polish?
I would...
I'd think you've got all the dirt and any old wax off with the clay, so if you are going to wax it, then that sounds like the ideal time.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
started to claybar my car today....tested for it, then quit for football. I'll finish it tomorrow. I honestly can't think of anything easier to do. I used the Mothers kit. I can easily feel the difference, as well as the spots that I didnt' hit thorougly. I think the key is using plenty of detail wax that comes with the kit...i get the sense it makes this more like wetsanding....keep it wet, goes well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts