Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After swapping out the stock whip to a stubby and reading more about how everyone basically hates the giant telephone pole of an antenna on the '08s I was wondering...

Could you replace the entire base with an '09 base? It would probably kill FM reception, but what the heck, with Sirius, 6 CDs and my aux input, I don't really need FM anyway.

Does anyone know if the connection under the antenna is the same or similar between the 08s and other years?
+++

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
After swapping out the stock whip to a stubby and reading more about how everyone basically hates the giant telephone pole of an antenna on the '08s I was wondering...

Could you replace the entire base with an '09 base? It would probably kill FM reception, but what the heck, with Sirius, 6 CDs and my aux input, I don't really need FM anyway.

Does anyone know if the connection under the antenna is the same or similar between the 08s and other years?
+++
If you knew what you have to go through to lower the headliner and replace the roof antenna, you would just keep looking for a stubby antenna, which a lot of '08 owners on the forums have installed, to replace the "John Holmes antenna" the '08 models were "endowed" with ..... LMAO

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
the 09 antenna as the 06-07 antenna is located in the rear window...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose one could swap out the glass to retain the FM antenna, but I don't really care about FM with all the other audio options that I have available to me.
I'd prefer to eliminate the entire mast and just have the base like the 09.

As far as needing to drop the headliner to do the swap....
I wonder if I could reach the thing through the sunroof hole if I drop just the 'back half' of the headliner?
+++

·
Registered
118 Posts
the only thing that happened when i removed my antenna on my 08 was loss of FM reception, which i cured by using a hidden antenna mounted to the inside of the rear window under the headliner.. you can't even tell it's there. If you don't care about FM reception, just take it off.. no need to switch the base

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the rear c-pillar trim panels could be removed & then the rear of the headliner could be dropped enough to do the swap easily. That was how I used to do them on the Infiniti M35.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I live in an urban area so I took mine off completely (only the satellite radio base still remains) and didn't notice any loss of FM reception! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did that before purchasing the stubby that I have now.
I didn't like the idea of leaving the hole in the base empty.

Maybe BT could make a proper fitting plug for us.
+++

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
the only thing that happened when i removed my antenna on my 08 was loss of FM reception, which i cured by using a hidden antenna mounted to the inside of the rear window under the headliner.. you can't even tell it's there. If you don't care about FM reception, just take it off.. no need to switch the base
Where'd you get the hidden antenna? Care to post any pictures/write-up of how you installed it?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts

+++
For that matter, BT could make us some nice stubby antennas as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Where'd you get the hidden antenna? Care to post any pictures/write-up of how you installed it?
I got it from crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K2Xidw5fenk/p_12044UA20/Universal-Antenna.html?tab=review except mine has long pieces coming out of the side of it like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIHMOC

I paid $20 for it shipped from crutchfield, but i think they were having a sale on them. Basically, it comes with about 9 foot of antenna wire if i remember right and power wire. I bought a 12' antenna extension piece off ebay, which was way too long, you could probably use a 6 or 9, but I would probably go with 9 to be safe. Since i have an aftermarket deck, i didn't have to bother with adapters for the stock unit, but you can get those if you need them.

Basically, the power gets hooked up to any 12v power source.. i tapped into the same place i tapped for my radio. This wire will also need to be ran to the back of the car along with the antenna extension. It uses double-sided tape to adhere the antenna to the window. Pull down your headliner a little bit above the window and it tucks nicely up there and the headliner covers the entire thing. It's really not a tricky or hard install and i would recommend it for anyone having difficulties with their FM reception. Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts

+++
that's a good idea... you should contact them:beerchug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my 2 1/2 inch antenna off my 03 GMC which was used for the On Star ( I don't need any more) along with a 5mm stainless stud and the radio works fine as far as can tell but most likely the AM will suffer on the open road. Cost me .35 cents for the stud.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I finally got the antennas that I ordered. The Charger fit perfect. Unfortunately, the one for the Megacab did not. I sent them an e-mail a minute ago & hopefully they'll get it taken care of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts