Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an opinion on tires. My RSA's aren't doing to well after 9500 miles. I was thinking of Toyo's but I want to do 275/40 on the back, so do I need to do 245/40 in the front or should I stick with 245/45? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rob,

My set up is 275/40/20 rear and 245/45/20 front...Toyo Proxes 4's. This set up is the same height front and back. BTW the 45's give you a little more sidewall than the 40's for the front.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ordered the same exact setup today. They will be on the car by next Friday.
275/40/20 rear
245/45/20 front
Toyo Proxes 4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I was sure I would go with the Proxes 4 but now I am looking at the Nitto Invo. I have to decide soon because it will take a while for them to get over here.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rob - here's a review I did on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas from another forum. Also I copied another members response after driving the car. A few members on the forum have them and love them as well.

I got the tires installed today with road force balancing. First impression driving home on the highways was how quiet and smooth they are. I took the car back to some usual mountain twisties I frequent and felt much more sure footed. A couple of the 25mph turns where I typically hit at 50mph felt really stable. Usually with the RSA's I would break free just a bit and have to counter steer to bring her back around. The feeling I get with the Vredesteins...probably because of the tread pattern...is it always seeking to maintain grip and would have a much harder time getting loose or oversteering the corners.

After the handeling test I took her to my favorite first gear, from a roll, 3000 rpm launch site I have right around the corner from my house. Since day one...or at least with the B&G stage II flash...I've ALWAYS been able to spin the tires though first and about half of second gear. Today I did it and and had about a half a second in first....and then a much stronger pull then I'm used to....and then a chirping of the tires in second.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the initial performance of the tires. 275/40's all the way around look pretty cool as well. I paid $804.75 delivered to my door, and $132.00 road force balanced and installed. I'll have pics in a couple weeks when I put the KW's on her.

Purchased from AFS Wheels, Canoga Park, CA. http://www.afswheels.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/31368

Originally Posted by Bud
Upon further review: These tires are f'ing bada$$!! Jason just came over to take a looksy loo! We went out and did some more testing on the same twisties...almost beyond my comfort level, and these tires did not waiver in the least bit. Jason will write up a more comprehensive eloquent review later. To me, compared to my RSA's...it fell like I had coilovers on. Quiet, smooth, lateral grip...as well as take off and braking is truly outstanding. No wonder why it was voted best overall performer!! NO LIE!!!

MotherMopars (Jason) Response:
... and so I shall... (eloquent or not, my friend). OK folks. Here's the scoop:

Compared to the RSA on his car, the V's made it into a different vehicle. Before, his car felt very loose, even under normal day to day driving conditions. First thing I noticed was the steering. Felt WAY tighter (the 275s and the fact that they're V's and not RSAs). The car is now VERY quiet at speed. And the handling... awesome.

I took my F1-equipped SRT8 for a test flight before getting to Rick's this evening, to have its handling, etc. ready for fresh recall.

Comparison: F1 vs. the V's

Handling: V's felt more sure-gripped. Little did I know that traction control was completely off through the twisties when I was at the wheel of his car. I got on it pretty good too... and it felt more sure than when driving my car on the same roads with traction control ON.

Noise: At first, I found the V's to be a good deal more quiet than my F1s... but on the way home, I think that the two tires are pretty close, with any edge going to the V's.

Traction: Here's the real deal. Rick's car is more broken in and he has the B&G flash, which I don't. With the same relative amt of gas/weight in each car, my F1's break traction easier than Rick does now with the V's (also consider his break in and B&G). The 3000 rpm launch with the V's is "CHIIIRP" and your gone. With my F1's its "Squeel, Chirp, Chirp".

From a dead stop WOT launch, traction completely off, the V's squeel a bit, then POOF!! Gone. The F1's will spin noticeably longer.

Braking: From AROUND 30 mph, the V's won't allow for slippage and thus, ABS is DIFFICULT to engage (Rick thought he may have bent his brake pedal trying to get ABS to engage). With my F1's, ABS engaged at the same speed, but only for a split second. One thing to consider is that Rick has the Zech pads that do NOT grip the rotor like the Brembos... this may well have been a factor. But, since we're talking tires... Braking traction goes to the V's, but by a narrow margin... now, V's with Brembo pads??? You've got a DEAD stop vehicle.

Ride Quality: F1 vs V's... hard to tell, actually. But there was an overpowering sense when driving Rick's car that it was gliding. Very smooth. Very straight. Very sure.

Overall: The V's are awesome and an improvement over the F1's on a number of subjective measures.

Next: We'll have to test the Nittos and V's next... John?!?!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response, Bud. I remember hearing about those tires before. I will check them out also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts