Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember that original Charger prototype picture that keeps popping up now and then? I already expressed my belief that the newer Charger design was influenced by it. Now along comes the 100th Anniversary Edition that choice of color seems a little more than coincidental.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Maybe, maybe not... Just take blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Remember that original Charger prototype picture that keeps popping up now and then? I already expressed my belief that the newer Charger design was influenced by it. Now along comes the 100th Anniversary Edition that choice of color seems a little more than coincidental.
Of course it was. Corporate designers don't stray far from the corporate history. Subtle cues remain in the heritage and only the details change. No corporate designer ever gets a radical design to see the light of day. It's an evolution of inches...not miles. ;)

That said, there is only a limited similarity between the two. Perhaps from a 50,000 foot view they share some design cues, but not all that much close up. Take off the side scallop and the cross hair grille and they look nearly nothing alike.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
The concept was really more of an orange-red.

Man, I had such a hard on for that car back in the day. (Not me in the photo :D )

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course it was. Corporate designers don't stray far from the corporate history. Subtle cues remain in the heritage and only the details change. No corporate designer ever gets a radical design to see the light of day. It's an evolution of inches...not miles. ;)

That said, there is only a limited similarity between the two. Perhaps from a 50,000 foot view they share some design cues, but not all that much close up. Take off the side scallop and the cross hair grille and they look nearly nothing alike.

If you take away the common visuals, they're nothing alike. Well duh. ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Very Impressive!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Ugh, that prototype picture makes it's return. Any bets on when it will show up again tagged with "2015 Charger"?

That prototype is almost 15 years old at this point.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I swear the prototype I saw at the auto show was red

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It was. It's just more of a "Firethorn" red that changes colors depending on the light. In certain light, the orange tones come out.
So it was the grandfather paint pigment for both the TorRed and Hemi Orange. In various photos and lighting, it was hard to tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So it was the grandfather paint pigment for both the TorRed and Hemi Orange. In various photos and lighting, it was hard to tell them apart.
Actually, it was more a grandfather for the Inferno red. It's also a metallic paint that changes color in various light.

Torred and Hemi orange are non-metallic paints that have been around since the late 60's. The pigment tone in them also causes them to change color in various light and sometimes in photos, you can't tell which is which.

They were part of the original "HIP" (High Impact Paint) color pallet from 1969-1972. Those two colors had their names interchanged between Plymouth and Dodge because they were so close in tone.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
My TorRed Charger looked orange-ish in most of the pictures I took. :confused:
(Pretty sure some of that was due to my camera, too.)

It only really looked Red when it was overcast.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Redline Pearl can look a bit orange in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Someone on another thread mentioned that the Anniversary edition came with SRT performance pages - first I've heard of this, BS rumor or true?

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clarify and I'll check tonight. What are the "performance pages"?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Clarify and I'll check tonight. What are the "performance pages"?

SRT's have a full set of digital gauges on the UConnect screen, and another page of 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought that's what he meant but wanted to confirm. What's the easiest way to check this? How do you access it?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I thought that's what he meant but wanted to confirm. What's the easiest way to check this? How do you access it?

I believe there is a tab at the top of the screen that says "SRT"...but it's been about a years since I've sat in an SRT. It's not hidden, you'll know if it's there

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'd like a Pink Panther SRT before they murder off that engine. Wishful thinking....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts