Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't for our chargers. It's for a diesel, but I'm wondering about the theory behind it and the claims they make.
They say this downpipe (wrapped with a thermal insulation material) will lower EGT's (exhaust gas temps) thusly giving you more power. Now I understand the more power part (have wrapped headers in the past to keep the heat in the tube to increase exhaust flow, if I remember correctly, and to reduce underhood heat). What I don't get is how this would REDUCE EGT's? Seems to me that if you wrap the tube, that the temps inside would go up (very bad for a turbo), not down. And would keep heat from dissipating from the pipe.
Can anyone help me out with the logic of this one and let me know if it seems feasible?
I am getting ready to install a new exhaust system in my truck and have some of that thermal insulation material left over from an old project and want to know if I ought to do that to the downpipe in my system?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i think it must've been a typo. they probably meant to put "raise EGT" lol. i agree with what you said about keeping the heat out of the engine compartment, but it is also important to keep some heat in the exhaust (if you dont have a turbo) because if the exhaust gets colder, it becomes more dense and slows down in the cat back. thats one of the problems getting like a 3.5 inch exhaust is that it allows the gases to get colder and slow down hurting performance.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
not to sure about lowering egt's but it will dramatically reduce underhood heat...with gasoline engines is a big plus... but diesels are a diff story...mainly i think this product just reduces heat around the turbo...making it more efficient with less heat soaking...im not a expert but this is my theory...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts