Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So am looking for a few experts in electrical:

I just purchased 3 gauges (Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, AFR Gauge)
Now I am good with all the wiring but I have a question on the amount of load I put on a given circuit. I need to hook up all 3 gauges to an "Accessory/Ignition" power source. The gauges do not need a constant 12v for memory. So what I have done so far is tied all 3 gauges into the 20 amp cigaret lighter circuit in the pop out ashtray. No here is my questions. I contact the gauge company and they stated that the wideband AFR should be on it's own circuit due to the amp draw. If I put all three (14 amps total) on a 20 amp circuit and use the plug I could overload. Any suggestions if I should put all three on the same circuit or should I just find another "Accessory/Ignition" power source for the AFR Gauge. If I do tap the AFR into a different "Accessory/Ignition" power source, any suggestions based on the 10 amp requirement? Prefer something under the dash for easy install. Don't want to overload any circuits that I tap the AFR into. Didn't realize the AFR pulls so many amps. I am tempted to run a 30 amp dedicated line in straight from the battery with a relay system on that to make it a "Accessory/Ignition", but that's more work. Nice thing is I would have a nice power source for any future power needs and could set it up inside the console. Thoughts?

Wideband AFR = Pulls 10 amps
Oil Sensor = Pulls 2 Amps
Coolant Temp = Pulls 2 Amps

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help... Great stuff.

I am leaning towards just doing a fused relay at the battery. Then come in under the seat in the middle for the car and go straight under the center console where I can hide the fused terminal block. I then can have power for any additional add-on's such as oracles, grill lights, other gauges etc. if ever needed ( I like your suggestion).

- Connect a 12 gauge wire to positive battery terminal and install a 30 amp fuse then connect to 30 amp relay (or should I do 40 amp fuse and relay and is 12 gauge ok for 40 amp?)

- Ground the Relay in trunk.

- Tie into the cigaret fuse in fuse box to trigger relay trigger switch using a fuse tap (
)

- Then run 12 gauge wire from relay to center console (under seat and carpet)
- Add a fused power block under the center console actually removing console and installing underneath (
)

- Add a grounding terminal screw under center arm rest console for easy ground connecting if needed)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
553 Posts
It would be a shorter run to just run power from under the hood through the firewall and much easier. You can place it all under the dash on the Driver side. There is tons of room and places to put it. Doing this way. You will not need to replace any seats or carpet to install it. Nor will you need to remove anything to replace a fuse or just gain access to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts