Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From this web site AMG Center

A limited-production supercar, the SL65 AMG features the most powerful Mercedes-Benz SL model in production.
Its 6.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-12 engine delivers over-the-top power and performance, sending the SL65 AMG from 0 to 60 in a mind-numbing 4.2 seconds. The engine, capable of 604 horsepower and 738 lb-ft of torque, features a high-strength, balanced forged-steel crankshaft, with high-performance main and connecting rod bearings and forged-aluminum AMG pistons, high-capacity fuel injectors with enlarged nozzles and a low-temperature high-capacity air-water intercooler.

A driver-adaptive AMG SpeedShiftTM 5-speed automatic transmission translates the SL65 AMG's power to the road, featuring a locking torque-converter and 35 percent faster shifting. AMG racing-derived compound brakes with 15.4" front and 13.7" rear rotors, 19" composite wheels, and dual sport-exhaust system with quad chrome tailpipes add to the total performance picture.
35% faster shifting, I want one (transmission)
________
OliviaSparks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The trans ratio's are the same as the lx cars, too.. hmmm.....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More info.

output. 604 hp @ 4,800 - 5,100 rpm
torque. 738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm

final drive ratio. 2.65 ( thats a hell of a rear gear)
1st gear. 3.59
2nd gear. 2.19
3rd gear. 1.41
4th gear. 1.00
5th gear. 0.83
That all sounds familure

acceleration 0 - 60 mph in 4.2 seconds.
________
HornyGina live

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the SL55
output. 493 hp @ 6,100 rpm
torque. 516 lb-ft @ 2,750 - 4,000 rpm

type. .
5-speed driver-adaptive automatic with AMG SpeedShift?.
final drive ratio. 2.82 (I did confirm that this is the axle ratio-see link below)
1st gear. 3.59
2nd gear. 2.19
3rd gear. 1.41
4th gear. 1.00
5th gear. 0.83

acceleration 0 - 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

This has the same rear gear as the RT's

LINK
________
Easy vape digital vaporizers

·
Registered
245 Posts
Now all we need is another 150 HP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We need one of these transmissions and another 150 hp.
There has got to be other changes in the transmission to accommodate the lock up in every forward gear.

I can't find it now but somewhere I read that some of the Mercedes have 2 reverse gear ratios.
________
CERAMIC BONGS

·
Registered
245 Posts
I guess all it takes is money.......Alot of it ....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not as much money as you'd think.

Generally the major parts of a transmission, like planetaries, don't change no matter what you do to upgrade it. When I added a shift kit to my impala (I did it in my driveway - but never again!), the parts were $109 IIRC. Stiffer springs, a new check ball, and a modified valve body do wonders for quick shifts. After the shift kit, the car would lay twin 6 ft marks on the 1-2 shift.

What DOES change are the wear parts - the 1-2 shift band and the 3-4 clutchpack. The shifting is modified via a shift kit, and for max effort trannies the input shaft may need to be replaced with a billet piece. But the basic tranny doesn't change - so if the AMG unit can handle 700+ ft/lbs of torque, then ours can too with suitable clutches and valve body modifications.

·
Registered
245 Posts
OK, Now we only need to add 15o HP for "not much money", what do you think?

·
Registered
60 Posts
maneval69 said:
We need one of these transmissions and another 150 hp.
There has got to be other changes in the transmission to accommodate the lock up in every forward gear.

I can't find it now but somewhere I read that some of the Mercedes have 2 reverse gear ratios.
The tranny is refered to by Mercedes as the NAG V. V = reinforced in German. The trans uses longer/thicker gearsets and thrust bearings, longer/stronger input and output shafts to acomadate the added torrque and new planitary sets, a longer case to fit all of it in, and new valve body and software in the trans brain.

All of the Benz electronic auto's are cabable of lock-up in all forward gears...it's all in the software program. All also have two reverse ratio's...Chrysler chooses to use only one of them.

Like it or not, it wont fit the LX cars...this information was pulled directly from the M-B tech training materials

·
Registered
96 Posts
amcguru said:
The tranny is refered to by Mercedes as the NAG V. V = reinforced in German. The trans uses longer/thicker gearsets and thrust bearings, longer/stronger input and output shafts to acomadate the added torrque and new planitary sets, a longer case to fit all of it in, and new valve body and software in the trans brain.

All of the Benz electronic auto's are cabable of lock-up in all forward gears...it's all in the software program. All also have two reverse ratio's...Chrysler chooses to use only one of them.

Like it or not, it wont fit the LX cars...this information was pulled directly from the M-B tech training materials
Sounds like a different transmission to me - 4L60e vs 4L80e, or TH350 vs TH400, instead of a beefed up version of the same tranny.

Why won't it fit the LX cars?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You know, I'm starting to think it might be better to use an adapter plate and just put a 4L80e behind the hemi with a separate transmission controller - screw the kraut transmission!

·
Registered
11 Posts
why a GM transmission? Why not drop in a beefed up A518 or torqueflite A727 they're direct bolt ins.

He also said the NAG V transmission is much bigger from the beefier equipment.

Thank you for the reality check here amcguru.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts