Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the R/T have one, if not does someone make one. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks

Rod

·
Banned
113 Posts
isn't that mainly just a way to lighten a vehicle? really why lighten a charger? Everybody knows its a huge overweight goliath :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
lol, yup :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmm... If I do remember, there's a division of General Dynamics that make composite drive shafts. :whistle: Wonder how much one of those would go for? :wink:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jadkyl said:
Hmm... If I do remember, there's a division of General Dynamics that make composite drive shafts. :whistle: Wonder how much one of those would go for? :wink:
There expensive, They wanted 6-800 dollars for one on my mustang, but I bought the aluminum d/s for 200.00. It's not just the weight off the vehicle but any weight off the rotational mass does help.

·
Banned
113 Posts
what all would it help? I always thought of it as a weight reduction measure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dennysdriveshaft.com

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
farkedup said:
Rotational mass means anything thats rotating on the vehicle. You multiply it by like 4. For example taking weight off the rims is also rotational mass. Anything that is in motion on the vehicle in weight reduction is the key here. So if you lose 10 LBS on the driveshaft it's like losing a total of 40 lbs of vehicle weight because it's related to the drivetrain. This example may not be perfect but you get the idea :happy:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1RTw/RT4ME said:
Dennysdriveshaft.com
I wonder if Mopar sells one for racing purposes. Just like FMS sells them for Ford.

Thanks

Rod

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
farkedup said:
Everything !!! Engine ,transmission, u joints, differential , torque output , lower et's , all this plus lighter weight!!! I think we should get a driveshaft and half shafts built from aluminum , take it to the track before and after then post our results...... I bet it would be worth ..3 tenths in a Quarter plus a couple of mph!!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Given that each 100lbs is supposed to a 10th, youd need to lose 300lbs. Im betting your savings are not even going to be close to that. Even if an aluminum shaft save you 30lbs, and rotation doubles that to 60, and I'm pretty sure you wont save that much, and it wont double your savings. And the halfshafts even less.

The LX driveshafts are not that long, I;'m betting less than 24lbs savings at best. Less, maybe 15 or so on the halfs. Less than 75lbs total. Even if rotation doubles than to 150, you've made a .15 betterment to your times.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
.15 is huge though.
I won't be swapping them...but i like the thinking...keep at it gang.
We should really have a drag racing area on the forum with details on each car, temp, etc...so we have objective results.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Given that each 100lbs is supposed to a 10th, youd need to lose 300lbs. Im betting your savings are not even going to be close to that. Even if an aluminum shaft save you 30lbs, and rotation doubles that to 60, and I'm pretty sure you wont save that much, and it wont double your savings. And the halfshafts even less.

The LX driveshafts are not that long, I;'m betting less than 24lbs savings at best. Less, maybe 15 or so on the halfs. Less than 75lbs total. Even if rotation doubles than to 150, you've made a .15 betterment to your times.
I'll let you know how it turns out. Any weight reduction from the driveline will be an improvement. Engine ,tranny, and diff will have less load to carry

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Oh, I know its a good thing, dont get me wrong. But theres no free lunch:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is something I have all ready put some thought into, and what I plan to do is find an aluminum shaft out of either an Aerostar van, or F150 P/U and just have it shortend. Yes, PA I definitely think we need a Drag Racing section, even if it is only a few of us that use it ! How about it Mod's ? If the Mustang's I have workedon are any indication, then an aluminum driveshaft will definitely be worth the time/money/effort. I have looked at the driveshaft in our charger's, and it is why I feel it is a definite area of improvement ! I think a competent driveline shop can handle this chore rather economically, so other than the cost of the shaft, and maybe the "crossover" U-Joints needed, it should'nt be more than a $100.

Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts