Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new to this community and I'd love to meet a bunch of you. I love Dodge Chargers from the classic Daytona to the new Hellcats. I'm looking for a first car, and I would love for it to be a Dodge Charger. I'm looking for the right one. Preferably one with the V6 for fair gas mileage. Any suggestions on what would be the best first for a good price around 10k? I can dream about some, but I like the 2014 SXT realistically. Please give me all your input on everything possible. I'm here to learn!

Registered
Welcome to the Forvm! 馃槑

I had a 2007 SXT/AWD, and to be honest, the 5.7 V8 is not too far off in terms of fuel mileage, depending on your driving. Do you drive a lot of city, highway, or both? If it's an even mix, or more highway, get the V8 and go easy on the gas (most of the time...) Our Chargers don't hold their value very well, so you should not have much of a problem finding a good one in your price range. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forvm! 馃槑

I had a 2007 SXT/AWD, and to be honest, the 5.7 V8 is not too far off in terms of fuel mileage, depending on your driving. Do you drive a lot of city, highway, or both? If it's an even mix, or more highway, get the V8 and go easy on the gas (most of the time...) Our Chargers don't hold their value very well, so you should not have much of a problem finding a good one in your price range. :)
I will take this all into consideration. And yes I do probably more highway driving, but there is a little bit of City mixed in. Why would you get the V8 over the v6 for highway or even mix?

Registered
You will want to consider the engine & transmission combination. If the car has the 5-speed transmission you will want the V8. If the car has the 8-speed transmission you can go with either the V6 or V8. The V6 experience is much better with the 8-speed. The V8 performs well with either the 5-speed or 8-speed ... depending on the rear gear ratio. The standard R/T V8 has a 2.65 rear gear ratio. You get better acceleration with the 3.06 rear gear ratio that comes with the R/T Road&Track, Daytona, etc...
The V8 has the MDS (Multi-Cylinder Displacement System) where the engine runs on four cylinders when all eight cylinders are not needed (e.g. steady highway cruising).
The V6 only requires 87 octane fuel and the V8 is recommended to use 89 octane fuel. The V8 will operate on 87 octane but it's tuned for 89 octane. The V8 has sixteen spark plugs and, depending on the model year, uses the copper/nickel spark plugs that are replaced every 30K miles. Later model years have the platinum/iridium spark plugs that are replaced every 100K miles. So the V8 operating/maintenance expense can be a little higher than the V6; depending on your annual mileage.
Styling for the Charger is the same for V6 & V8. So from a styling perspective either engine will get you what you want (exceptions are the new wide body Chargers, etc..). But if you want the Hemi performance ... the V8 is the way to go.

Registered
The new-er V6s do fine and as a first car I highly suggest it. Not only will it cost cheaper to start with, but with insurance, maintenance will cost less further down the road. The fact you even consider a V6 shows you got some brains so I feel you should do fine. Krautmaster has a newer V6 with the 8 speed and seems to enjoy it just fine. (even though he does alot of mods)

Beware of the Charger owner opinion disease though. Seen it on every fourm and on facebook. If you got the V6 shoulda got the 5.7, if you got the 5.7 you shoulda got a scatpack, got the scatpack shoulda got a hellcat. Got a hellcat shoulda got a demon.

Registered
I think your $10,000 price range for a 2014 is about right if it has reasonable mileage. But reasonable mileage is subjective depending on the driving conditions the car has been through. So whatever catches your fancy, have it checked out before buying it because certain maintenance upkeep is based on mileage milestones whereas repairs are usually based on how much wear, tear and abuse a car has been through which isn't posted. Well, it sort of is posted, as-is.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Registered
Any 2nd generation (2011-2014) for $10K is going to have high mileage and will need a lot of work done: transmission fluid change, radiator flush /coolant hose replacement, the stock BR3 brakes MUST go (they suck)and many will likely need the front suspension pieces replaced...going to add up to a lot of $$. I would look for one in the $15K range that has a lot less mileage (won't cost that much pore per month).

The SE is too damn plain (I had a 2013 SE 5 speed) opt for the SXT, Rallye, or Blacktop editions and by all means get the 8 speed trans-it makes world of difference over the old 5 speed, the V6 with the 8 speed is actually fun to drive. I currently have three cars with the Pentastar 3.6 and they are a trouble free reliable motor if the oil was changed regularly (2013 Chrysler 200 Limited, 2016 SXT Plus, and a 2016 Rallye)

Registered
For your age..I would think the Dodge Challenger would have more appeal..Why want a heavy 4 dr sedan? Challenger with V6 would be my choice...and looks great...!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
The new-er V6s do fine and as a first car I highly suggest it. Not only will it cost cheaper to start with, but with insurance, maintenance will cost less further down the road. The fact you even consider a V6 shows you got some brains so I feel you should do fine. Krautmaster has a newer V6 with the 8 speed and seems to enjoy it just fine. (even though he does alot of mods)

Beware of the Charger owner opinion disease though. Seen it on every fourm and on facebook. If you got the V6 shoulda got the 5.7, if you got the 5.7 you shoulda got a scatpack, got the scatpack shoulda got a hellcat. Got a hellcat shoulda got a demon.
I found a 2014 SXT 100th anniversary with around 60,000 on it. Very fair points

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I think your $10,000 price range for a 2014 is about right if it has reasonable mileage. But reasonable mileage is subjective depending on the driving conditions the car has been through. So whatever catches your fancy, have it checked out before buying it because certain maintenance upkeep is based on mileage milestones whereas repairs are usually based on how much wear, tear and abuse a car has been through which isn't posted. Well, it sort of is posted, as-is.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Thank you, very good advice. I agree with it 100 percent

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Any 2nd generation (2011-2014) for $10K is going to have high mileage and will need a lot of work done: transmission fluid change, radiator flush /coolant hose replacement, the stock BR3 brakes MUST go (they suck)and many will likely need the front suspension pieces replaced...going to add up to a lot of $$. I would look for one in the $15K range that has a lot less mileage (won't cost that much pore per month).

The SE is too damn plain (I had a 2013 SE 5 speed) opt for the SXT, Rallye, or Blacktop editions and by all means get the 8 speed trans-it makes world of difference over the old 5 speed, the V6 with the 8 speed is actually fun to drive. I currently have three cars with the Pentastar 3.6 and they are a trouble free reliable motor if the oil was changed regularly (2013 Chrysler 200 Limited, 2016 SXT Plus, and a 2016 Rallye)
Let me know if you鈥檙e ever willing to sell ;)but this is very good advice. I found a 2014 SXT 100th anniversary edition with 60k or so Miles for about 16,400 dollars. I鈥檓 considering, but I don鈥檛 exactly have money though. Feel free by the way to answer some of my other questions. I really like your advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts