Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my self my very first 2006 Dodge Charger base 2.7 yes yes I know from what I heard and doing my research it was a bad year and model to begin with.... But either way I love my car and can’t wait to buy another one anyway I been up grading everything from wheels interior exterior you name it it but strange thing when I upgraded my stereo for some reason my car alarm don’t work no more the red light dont flash don’t activate or nothing mind you when I bought the car the guy gave me the key which I could lock and unlock he gave me a little separate remote which it was broken from the handle and he told me this was a separate alarm I never like to use it it’s very sensitive and goes off on me every time I do remember messing around with the control and it was different from the key one let me explain when I unhooked the battery and plug back on the alarm system would go off and what I do the red light would flash the car won’t start until I press the remote control the broken one both of them would lock and unlock but this one I guess can deactivate the anti theft so I change change the stereo and and the alarm does not work at all I can lock and unlock it and turn the car on but the other remote the broken one the one that the kills the car to not to start don’t work anymore wanted to know if anybody had that problem before all what’s the problem

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don’t have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say you probably won’t find an answer here for your issue.
It don’t appear to be a factory issue but rather an aftermarket issue, and without knowing more on the aftermarket alarm and radio, you will be hard pressed to find someone who can help. (I’m not saying someone won’t know)
My advise would to take it to an audio specialty shop to see if they can troubleshoot the wiring or something. If I remember correct the can bus system was really finicky in those early year Dodges. To the point when changing the headlights to your car caused issues the starter. Also since you installed the radio, make sure you use the correct PAC-Audio module and if you aren’t maybe you should look into using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
So I bought my self my very first 2006 Dodge Charger base 2.7 yes yes I know from what I heard and doing my research it was a bad year and model to begin with.... But either way I love my car and can’t wait to buy another one anyway I been up grading everything from wheels interior exterior you name it it but strange thing when I upgraded my stereo for some reason my car alarm don’t work no more the red light dont flash don’t activate or nothing mind you when I bought the car the guy gave me the key which I could lock and unlock he gave me a little separate remote which it was broken from the handle and he told me this was a separate alarm I never like to use it it’s very sensitive and goes off on me every time I do remember messing around with the control and it was different from the key one let me explain when I unhooked the battery and plug back on the alarm system would go off and what I do the red light would flash the car won’t start until I press the remote control the broken one both of them would lock and unlock but this one I guess can deactivate the anti theft so I change change the stereo and and the alarm does not work at all I can lock and unlock it and turn the car on but the other remote the broken one the one that the kills the car to not to start don’t work anymore wanted to know if anybody had that problem before all what’s the problem
First up... find it, learn it, love it. I'll be clear... I almost walked away from your request for help because you didn't do the bare minimum to make it readable. Not okay.

That aside...

The base cars at that age didn't have an actual alarm in the sense of making sounds and having sensors detect intrusions. The anti-theft system would basically disable the starter if the doors were opened while the car was in an "armed" state and that's about it. Third-party alarms could be added which added features, like hood and trunk pins that detect hose opening, or tilt-sensors to detect being towed, or shock sensors for being bumped. Plus, of course audible alarm to draw attention to a vehicle that was being abused. Some of those third-party alarms could link to the on-board theft-prevention engine cutoff. But a poor/cheap installer could just put in a third-party alarm that couldn't link in, which could lead to all kinds of strange behaviour.

From your description, I'm understanding one of your remotes is broken? Depending on if the third-party alarm integrates with the theft-prevention, that could be your problem in a nutshell.

Also, many modules in the car talk to one another on the CANBUS (network between electronic car parts). The stock radio may have been involved with the stock theft-prevention, and swapping it out may have interfered there. I don't personally know enough about the integration to offer details. I did have a 2008 with stock theft-prevention and an integrated third-party alarm, but I never replaced the radio head unit. With my install, I could use the third-party remote to do everything... or I could use the stock remote but it would only activate the stock theft-prevention. With your install, it's hard to say.

I'd recommend putting the original radio back in to confirm if its replacement is the actual cause of your problem, and make your decisions from there.

Best of luck.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the feed back first and foremost my apologies for my typing skills as you noticed not very good with the hold description titles details and all but again thank you moving on yes I do have two Remotes as you can see in the pictures the one that is broken is not actually broken broken it is broken on the plastic handle where it connects on the keys and that was the one to actually activate in the deactivated the antiTheft as you mentioned putting back the stereo that’s a very good idea I did actually had that in mind before I took it to the shop I replaced a stereo my self everything worked great the alarm and all but I burned the stereo bought another one and this time I took it to a audio shop which they installed a new head unit and two amps but I wonder if he’s Splaced the wires up to get connections I mentioned to him that I had the converter for the interface pac audio and was connecting my hot wire through the Cigarette lighter which to my surprise when the car was done he didn’t use the converter adapter and that’s when I know that the alarm system getting working anymore

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
thank you for the feed back first and foremost my apologies for my typing skills as you noticed not very good with the hold description titles details and all but again thank you moving on yes I do have two Remotes as you can see in the pictures the one that is broken is not actually broken broken it is broken on the plastic handle where it connects on the keys and that was the one to actually activate in the deactivated the antiTheft as you mentioned putting back the stereo that’s a very good idea I did actually had that in mind before I took it to the shop I replaced a stereo my self everything worked great the alarm and all but I burned the stereo bought another one and this time I took it to a audio shop which they installed a new head unit and two amps but I wonder if he’s Splaced the wires up to get connections I mentioned to him that I had the converter for the interface pac audio and was connecting my hot wire through the Cigarette lighter which to my surprise when the car was done he didn’t use the converter adapter and that’s when I know that the alarm system getting working anymore
Did not read. Sorry. Hope you didn't ask more questions in there.

Reactions: POWERMAN
1 - 5 of 5 Posts