Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i really want the air hammer cai but dont know wher to get it. I tried going on their website hammermotorsports.com but the site is should down. Anyone running this system give me feedback, where can i buy it? is it really that good? is it worth the money? Because my other option is the AFE, also where can i get the AFE for a good price. Which one is better? THANKS

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
hey guys, i really want the air hammer cai but dont know wher to get it. I tried going on their website hammermotorsports.com but the site is should down. Anyone running this system give me feedback, where can i buy it? is it really that good? is it worth the money? Because my other option is the AFE, also where can i get the AFE for a good price. Which one is better? THANKS
Have you been looking on lxforums.com?

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
I know ProMotion Tuning had good prices on the AFE:

Pro-Motion Tuning, LLC
Most Extensive Online Parts Store for all your Charger Needs!
ProMotionTuning.Com
Fredericksburg, VA - 1.877.724.6682
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39960

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got an AIRRAID because it has a duct that lines up with the hood scoop and gives you a cool swooshing sound from the scoop.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
if youre looking for something pretty, get the airhammer. if youre looking for functionality, get the afe.

the main issue with the airhammer is that the metal intake tube gets very hot under normal driving exp. the afe is plastic, less heat builds up and enters the engine. the whole point of a cold air intake is to actually get some cooler air to the engine.

you can get in touch with the rev on lxforums.com. he is a vendor there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
if youre looking for something pretty, get the airhammer. if youre looking for functionality, get the afe.

the main issue with the airhammer is that the metal intake tube gets very hot under normal driving exp. the afe is plastic, less heat builds up and enters the engine. the whole point of a cold air intake is to actually get some cooler air to the engine.

you can get in touch with the rev on lxforums.com. he is a vendor there.
Gonna agree here. I have the afe and it seems to be a better CAI. I've had several, they all provide "something" but the afe seems to be the most "functional" of the bunch.....and of course there are a LOT of opinions on this. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Go to LXforums and send a PM to Rev.Hammer

Also, just like exhaust systems, the subject of CAIs has gotten into religion territory in terms of the inability of anyone to be objective and non-partisan about it. I'm happy with my Airhammer, but if its not your thing, that's cool.

Do your own research and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
474 Posts
there was a big thread here somewhere about the airhammer. they had a big dyno day, where they put each intake on a bunch of different cars. and the airhammer pulled the highest dyno numbers on each car.

so personally that would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
there was a big thread here somewhere about the airhammer. they had a big dyno day, where they put each intake on a bunch of different cars. and the airhammer pulled the highest dyno numbers on each car.

so personally that would be my choice.
the only problem was that the dyno wasnt done correctly to simulate real world results.

also it was done a very long time ago and the new afe intake was not one of the applicants.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
If you want the Very Best looking CAI that money can buy, You want an AirHammer.
If you want the Very Best sounding CAI that money can buy, You want an AirHammer.
After installing my Hammer the Butt meter said I had more power than the K&N I replaced.

Before with the K&N

After with the AirHammer

Now you be the Judge, what looks better?

Ken

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If you want the Very Best looking CAI that money can buy, You want an AirHammer.
If you want the Very Best sounding CAI that money can buy, You want an AirHammer.
After installing my Hammer the Butt meter said I had more power than the K&N I replaced.

Before with the K&N

After with the AirHammer

Now you be the Judge, what looks better?

Ken

I'll agree with that one bud!!
I went with the AFE, as cost was prohibitive. If money wasnt a factor, I would have gone with the Hammer.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
haha, now youre just showing off ken. the look is amazing, i have to agree 100% with that.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hey NYT
I guess you and your fascia made it home safe the other night.
Was pretty funny trying to stuff that sucker in your ride

One case down :(
Two to go :)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
the only problem was that the dyno wasnt done correctly to simulate real world results.

also it was done a very long time ago and the new afe intake was not one of the applicants.
I am pretty sure the instance that you are thinking of is the original AirHammer prototype that Meister recieved. Everyone made a big deal out if it because the filter was too big for his engine bay and the had to dyno the car with the hood open. Which was probably the correct thing to do.

However, the AirHammer was part of MOFO testings and I know for a fact that they test each intake in the same manner to simulate real world conditions (hood closed).

Now as far as the different filter goes... Do you know the CFM of the old S&B filter? How about the CFM of the new AFE filters? Until we know those numbers your arguement about him changing the filters is null and void. Because in the end the physical changes made to the filter are negligible as they some sort of cone filter. What really matters is the CFM that they flow, and since Rev. Hammer contracted AFE to build the filters he uses so I'm pretty sure it has CFM flow that is similar or greater than the original S&B filter he used.

I'm certainly not gonna defend the MOFO but I don't like it when people misrepresent the facts to people trying to educate themselves on a subject.

Jeeze... it took me 4 hours to finish this post. I'm sure this issue has been discussed to death in the time I took to write this post.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I am pretty sure the instance that you are thinking of is the original AirHammer prototype that Meister recieved. Everyone made a big deal out if it because the filter was too big for his engine bay and the had to dyno the car with the hood open. Which was probably the correct thing to do.

However, the AirHammer was part of MOFO testings and I know for a fact that they test each intake in the same manner to simulate real world conditions (hood closed).

Now as far as the different filter goes... Do you know the CFM of the old S&B filter? How about the CFM of the new AFE filters? Until we know those numbers your arguement about him changing the filters is null and void. Because in the end the physical changes made to the filter are negligible as they some sort of cone filter. What really matters is the CFM that they flow, and since Rev. Hammer contracted AFE to build the filters he uses so I'm pretty sure it has CFM flow that is similar or greater than the original S&B filter he used.

I'm certainly not gonna defend the MOFO but I don't like it when people misrepresent the facts to people trying to educate themselves on a subject.

Jeeze... it took me 4 hours to finish this post. I'm sure this issue has been discussed to death in the time I took to write this post.
the facts are clear. youre correct in the fact that the airhammer that was tested was not the airhammer people are buying. youre also correct in the fact that is was tested with the hood open.

now, the fact that the tests were done with an extra large filter dont really matter. you do not dyno a car with the hood up. its as simple as that.

the problem is people on diff forums that didnt even go to the mofo are repping a product that they dont have first hand knowledge about. i have said before i have no problem with hammer intakes or rev himself. i have even installed a few for members on these boards.

to say that it is the best cai on the market today is a mistake. it is not the best performing intake. its the best looking however and that is what makes it sell well for a generic intake.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hey NYT
I guess you and your fascia made it home safe the other night.
Was pretty funny trying to stuff that sucker in your ride

One case down :(
Two to go :)
haha yeah brian i did. i was absolutely amazed at the fact i didnt leave a scratch at all on the interior.

48 to go... ;)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
the facts are clear. youre correct in the fact that the airhammer that was tested was not the airhammer people are buying. youre also correct in the fact that is was tested with the hood open.

now, the fact that the tests were done with an extra large filter dont really matter. you do not dyno a car with the hood up. its as simple as that.

the problem is people on diff forums that didnt even go to the mofo are repping a product that they dont have first hand knowledge about. i have said before i have no problem with hammer intakes or rev himself. i have even installed a few for members on these boards.

to say that it is the best cai on the market today is a mistake. it is not the best performing intake. its the best looking however and that is what makes it sell well for a generic intake.
Hmph... that is weird I could have sworn that Robagd stated once that all the MOFO intake testing was done with the hoods closed.

Maybe I will PM him so he can drop in here and settle this once and for all. :)

UPDATE:

So I did some poking around to see if could put some truth to my claims and here is what I found

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpost.php?p=540986&postcount=19

The numbers generated from the MOFO test were done with the small S&B filter that does fit under the hood, and the hood closed. So there... I'm not really sure what I proved other than that I have time to kill. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
None of the CAI are worth much, if anything in terms of gains. So go with what you like to look at.........

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
And I was there for at least one MOFO, and I'm not pretending the Hammer's the best. That and it sucks hearing NYT comment on the Hammer like that considering he installed mine. OUCH!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
And I was there for at least one MOFO, and I'm not pretending the Hammer's the best. That and it sucks hearing NYT comment on the Hammer like that considering he installed mine. OUCH!
it looks great tam, but i wouldnt run it just because of the heat issues. that steel gets so hot you cant touch it after a 30 minute drive. the heat soak is just too great on this intake which (imho) outweighs the beauty factor.

plus im sure youll get rid of it soon when you go with ron and the rest and take the FI route. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts