Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Dodge Charger SE. I have my car for over 15 months now with 16000 miles.

Whenever I turn on the AC, it produces a bad smell for like a minute, then it will be okay. And also I noticed that its not so cold anymore unlike when I bought it brand new, but don’t get me wrong, its still cold. Any idea what’s the problem?

I never had any air conditioning maintenance and no idea about it but I heard that I must at least clean the AC filter and condenser fins. Not really sure how to. Anyone have experience on it?

I might call the local mopar service when I hit 20,000 to ask on how much is AC maintenance, but i don’t know what’s included on it.

Any insights, how-tos, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
What kind of smell is it?

You want to get into the habit of turning your recirculate off before you get out of the car, otherwise you trap moisture in the car.

This could potentially turn into mold, and "might" be what you're smelling!

Your A/C "shouldn't" have issue with only those few miles, and as long as it is still blowing cold!

A tip I always tell people for using the A/C:

If your vehicle has been sitting in the hot sun, let's say 100 degrees outside like we see in the summer here in Texas, the interior will be at least 105-110+ degrees.

When you first get in the vehicle, turn on your A/C, but keep the recirculate off, otherwise it will take longer to cool down.

Once it does get cool/cold, THEN you can turn on the recirculate, which will "lock in" the cooler air and not pull in any warmer air from outside.

As I mentioned above, when you stop and ready to turn off your car, turn off the recirculate, otherwise it will trap
in the moisture and it will feel hot and humid when you get back in it later!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I was just about to recommend Lysol in a recirculating car, but that lysol in where the cabin draws air seems more effective.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Whenever I turn on the AC, it produces a bad smell for like a minute, then it will be okay. And also I noticed that its not so cold anymore unlike when I bought it brand new, but don’t get me wrong, its still cold. Any idea what’s the problem?

I never had any air conditioning maintenance and no idea about it but I heard that I must at least clean the AC filter and condenser fins. Not really sure how to. Anyone have experience on it?

I might call the local mopar service when I hit 20,000 to ask on how much is AC maintenance, but i don’t know what’s included on it.

Thank you!
I'm not sure if your questions have been answered, so here goes...

In regards to system maintenance there really isn't any as far as the refrigerant is concerned. If it isn't leaking, there is little to do.

In terms of the interior system is concerned, there is little to do except make sure that you don't run in recirc mode all the time to allow the system to dry out and not build bacterial growth on the coils. I recommend letting it run in non-recirc mode for at least 15 mins before shutting the car off on a regular basis.

In general, I run in non-recirc mode as often as possible to avoid build-up in the system. There is little reason to run in recirc mode except to deal with extreme heat and/or exterior fumes. Beyond that, run in pass-thru mode as often as possible. It should also be noted that if you have a cabin air filter, it only works on pass-thru mode and is by-passed on recirc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the reply.

I tried this from Part Deux link

Its not uncommon for mildew to form on the contantly wet evaporator coils to create that nasty smell. Here's what I have done with good success:
Open the hood to get easy access to the A/C system air intake vent on the passenger side cowl. If you have a cabin filter, remove it for this procedure. Turn the car ON but don't start the engine. Set the A/C system on any manual mode so its not on RECIRC and set the fan speed to med or high. Spray Lysol (choose your favorite scent) into the air intake vent for about 30 seconds, moving the spray back and forth across the entire intake opening. This will get a good coating of Lysol on the evaporator coils. Turn everything OFF, replace the cabin filter (spray it too if you like), close the hood and let everything sit for a while so the Lysol can penetrate and kill the bacteria. Reset your A/C controls to your favorite position and enjoy fresher air.
It seems to work. Will update you guys later. I feel like bacteria is gone and AC smells good.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Thank you!
Since your vehicle is still under warranty, I would recommend to have the dealer check if there is a an issue with the a/c system. Your owner's manual will provide the recommended maintenance for the a/c system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts