Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain the difference between a Cold Air Intake and an AirCharger?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
if your talking about the K&N air charger it is considered a short ram intake. by saying that it stays inside your engine compartment and even though it has a heat shield on it, it it is still sucking in hot air because the filter is in your eng. compartment. it gives you better horse power over stock because it is sucking in more air than the stock unit. a true cold air intake is routed down into the fenderwell in front of your front tire and sucks in cold outside air. this would be better for horsepower but it comes with a risk. on my last car i had a cold air intake on it and went through a large puddle and sucked up a lot of water through my intake. the vapor lock in my eng. caused 2 rods and 8 valves to bend. needless to say i would steer away from the cold air intake unless it has a cold air box setup. but if the filter sits down by the tire there is just to much to gamble with every day road conditionns. air charger should suit you just fine and give you a little more throttle response and power all together

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
oh and by the way the power differance between the 2 systems is only a matter of 1-3 horse power so unless you are strictly track and need that .01 to get you ahead of the game stay with the short ram to save a headache later on.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
if your talking about the K&N air charger it is considered a short ram intake. by saying that it stays inside your engine compartment and even though it has a heat shield on it, it it is still sucking in hot air because the filter is in your eng. compartment. it gives you better horse power over stock because it is sucking in more air than the stock unit. a true cold air intake is routed down into the fenderwell in front of your front tire and sucks in cold outside air. this would be better for horsepower but it comes with a risk. on my last car i had a cold air intake on it and went through a large puddle and sucked up a lot of water through my intake. the vapor lock in my eng. caused 2 rods and 8 valves to bend. needless to say i would steer away from the cold air intake unless it has a cold air box setup. but if the filter sits down by the tire there is just to much to gamble with every day road conditionns. air charger should suit you just fine and give you a little more throttle response and power all together

Agreed x2!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts