Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got into an accident last weekend...the ford taurus car infront of me made a sudden break and by the time I hit my breaks my car didnt have enough time to have a complete stop! I hit the rear bumper of the taurus...unfortunately my charger has all the damage!!! My front bumper was jacked up, hood a bit bent, front license almost falling out, headlights dangling but the taurus had NO scratch at all. The picture doesn't look as bad.....

Anyway, I was just wondering since I was about going more than 20 mph when I hit the other car shouldn't have my airbags deploy? Should I contact my dealer about it?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Speed isn't the sole factor in determining if the bags should deploy.

The system has several sensors in the vehicle that determine if deployment is needed.

I've worked crashes with speeds over 70 where airbags didn't deploy. Of course, they weren't rear-enders like yours, but you get the point.

Part of the repair will be to check the SRS. I wouldn't worry.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Those pictures would indicate something considerably less then 20mph at the actual contact. May have fell below the threshold of airbag deployment

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a very similar accident, a little less damage.
Airbags didn't deploy. I didn't think it was necessary cause it wasn't a hard hit.
Remember airbags are expensive to replace.
$5k in repairs and hood still don't align perfectly with front end.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That does not look like a 20 MPH crash. More like 5 MPH from what I can tell.
I think your guesstimated speed is off a little.

Don't forget to remove the R/T badge on the grill. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, this accident was not strong enough to deploy the airbags

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the quote from insurance company...total damage was about 6500. least i'll get my car all fixed in a couple weeks. thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ask your insurance company for an SRT8 hood!!!! if they replace your stock R/T hood, tell them that you can give them the price difference (someone on here said it was like 150 bucks) and voila! you get yourself a nice srt8 hood for 150 bucks! not bad ehh?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Ask your insurance company for an SRT8 hood!!!! if they replace your stock R/T hood, tell them that you can give them the price difference (someone on here said it was like 150 bucks) and voila! you get yourself a nice srt8 hood for 150 bucks! not bad ehh?
Glad to hear you are alright...I myself got into an accident about 3 days ago...and got another thread about the accident with a few pictures...I was talking to a few people and the transition from the stock hood to srt hood is not 150 bucks...dont quote me but i will find out soon as i have to do a walk around my car and get estimates from the body shop....the stock hood is 952 msrp and i heard the srt8 hood is 1860 msrp...so if u were to try and upgrade u would have to throw in 908 bucks...will get this verified soon....good luck with everything man.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
See, as said, its not just about speed of impact, its rate of deceleration also. The below numbers are fictional, just to keep it simple, if you start talking microseconds, people tune out:)

Impact speed = 30mph

1 second later, if the vehicle has slowed to 20mph, that means its slowing at a rate of 10mph per second. That rate indicates a certain level of G forces are happening to the occupants.

If, however, at 1 second later, the speed has dropped to 0 mph, that indicates a much higher level of G forces hit the passengers. This level of Gs would mean its much more likely an occupant gets injured. This would trigger a deployment.

theres really a lot more involved, with calculations about injury severity, side impacts, offset impacts, but this is the basic thought process.

Airbags are expensive to replace, and quite often cause minor injuries themselves, burns, bruising, possibly a broken bone if some part of your body is in the wrong place (DO NOT KEEP YOUR WRISTS INSIDE THE WHEEL).

Like an ejection seat, its a last resort thing.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
GLH raises a really good point. this impact hit mostly soft metal, so there was insufficient deceleration to trigger the air bags.

·
Registered
172 Posts
air bag system needs more then one input to release the air bag. like deceleration, sensors in the bumper or the fire wall.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
See, as said, its not just about speed of impact, its rate of deceleration also. The below numbers are fictional, just to keep it simple, if you start talking microseconds, people tune out:)

Impact speed = 30mph

1 second later, if the vehicle has slowed to 20mph, that means its slowing at a rate of 10mph per second. That rate indicates a certain level of G forces are happening to the occupants.

If, however, at 1 second later, the speed has dropped to 0 mph, that indicates a much higher level of G forces hit the passengers. This level of Gs would mean its much more likely an occupant gets injured. This would trigger a deployment.

theres really a lot more involved, with calculations about injury severity, side impacts, offset impacts, but this is the basic thought process.

Airbags are expensive to replace, and quite often cause minor injuries themselves, burns, bruising, possibly a broken bone if some part of your body is in the wrong place (DO NOT KEEP YOUR WRISTS INSIDE THE WHEEL).

Like an ejection seat, its a last resort thing.
Sometimes, you actually make sense.

(Jeez, I hated saying that! :dead: :cry: )

:tongue:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Airbag...

In reading the responses about the airbag being triggered by a number of specific sequntial events in a collision... I can only think "hmmm, these cars are getting smarter, and smarter."

I am curious, though: did you hit the steering wheel, or get injured in a way you wished that the airbag HAD deployed? My guess is, not. Of course, I can imagine you was quite upset about this. Perhaps even a little scared to go home (I would have!). Sucks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts