Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new hood with a scoop (not set on style yet) was THE main thing I had planned to do ASAP to my new R/T. Got a recommendation on a local body shop and headed down there straightaway to discuss, and the guy raised an issue I hadn't considered (no surprise, as I'm a big-time noob).

He said that replacing the hood with anything other than the OEM SRT hood(which was over $2000 before install, so out of my price range) might cause the airbag to deploy incorrectly (delay a fraction, etc.). I can't see how it would be in his interest to not give an honest opinion on this as he'd obviously make money installing a hood for me, and now I'm very nervous. I don't want to do anything to compromise safety, but I was really pumped about getting the hood.

Does anyone know whether this a very long shot or a real possibility? Does type of hood matter? If I had a Shaker, would this be the same kind of issue as with fiberglass or CF?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Subscribed, as I've been researching for a while and not heard of this. Very interested.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
An experienced mechanic may prove me wrong later, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
An experienced mechanic may prove me wrong later, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Just my opinion.
I agree. Sounds hinky.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I smashed into a truck with my last car. Crushed the hood, threw my radiator over the top of my engine, totalled my car... but the airbags never deployed. Why? My front bumper went under the rear bumper of the truck. With that said, I don't see how a hood and air bag deployment can be related. There are no sensors in the hood that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
He's mixing things up. There is an issue with aftermarket hoods and crashing, but its not airbag related. Look at at pictures of crashed cars with stock hoods. Almost always, the bend in the middle like an upside down taco. They are made to do that on purpose. Keeps the hood from becoming a missile hazard to the crash victims, and bystanders.

Airbag issues come from screwing with the front crash structure, which is basically all ot it except the plastic fascia. The crash beam, that foam, all of that is part of the airbag deployment system, meaning that in a system designed to do stuff in milliseconds, chaging stuff up can make a difference. But the hood isnt factored into that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bollocks. Complete bollocks.
I'd be looking for a new hood AND a new installer.

You could remove the hood entirely and not affect the deployment properties of the airbag. I'm not saying thst driving around w/o a hood is a good idea, but the hood itself is no more responsible for aribag deployment than the rear seat is.

+++

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I guess I got my answer. Thanks, fellas!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm not saying thst driving around w/o a hood is a good idea, but the hood itself is no more responsible for aribag deployment than the rear seat is.

+++
In Maryland, you'll get a ticket for driving around without a hood. Around the "era" when my best friend and I got out of high school, he had just rebuilt the 305 in his '77 Chevelle Malibu (hey, stop laughing - it was a good car for a kid - not quite what we've got now, but better than a Honda) and went for a drive before reinstalling the hood. He/We got pulled over not a mile from his house (I was passenger and laughing my butt off), and got a $100 ticket for unsafe equipment/hazard to other motorists or something like that. We both laughed. Thus began my LEO aspirations (for the entertainment value alone).

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The thing I've learned, no matter how little you know - 99% of guys at shops know LESS than you

I smashed into a truck with my last car. Crushed the hood, threw my radiator over the top of my engine, totalled my car... but the airbags never deployed. Why? My front bumper went under the rear bumper of the truck. With that said, I don't see how a hood and air bag deployment can be related. There are no sensors in the hood that I'm aware of.
no airbag club? :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yes sir! :beerchug:
Well, my crash was not nearly as brutal as that one. I did get a shiny used Charger out of the deal though.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Having witnessed more airbag development tests than I care to remember, can tell you that a few milliseconds diff is going to have zero impact, even then the hood provides ZERO structural impact. The accelerometers are no where near the hood. Also be aware that airbags are designed to protect unbelted males... you know the people that drive around without seat belts.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Having witnessed more airbag development tests than I care to remember, can tell you that a few milliseconds diff is going to have zero impact, even then the hood provides ZERO structural impact. The accelerometers are no where near the hood. Also be aware that airbags are designed to protect unbelted males... you know the people that drive around without seat belts.

But does replacing parts like the stuff around the crash beam, or the crash beam itself make a difference?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
GLH, that would be an incredibly difficult question to accurately answer without running simulation models and testing. It shouldn't have much of an impact on the actual air bag deployment timing. Where it will have a huge impact is on the designed compression and energy absorption. People complain about how much it costs to repair cars that they walk away from. There's a reason they walk away, the cars have built in "failure" points to absorb the energy from the accident.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
GLH, that would be an incredibly difficult question to accurately answer without running simulation models and testing. It shouldn't have much of an impact on the actual air bag deployment timing. Where it will have a huge impact is on the designed compression and energy absorption. People complain about how much it costs to repair cars that they walk away from. There's a reason they walk away, the cars have built in "failure" points to absorb the energy from the accident.
I just don't understand why anyone would complain about that. Even after a fender bender, I would want to lose the car. You never know what kind of crazy crap has happened to the frame or suspension or anything else.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Not saying you are wrong as I have only witnessed one air bag deployment and that was done by a state trooper at a safety brief just to show how quickly they deploy. But aren't the airbags in modern cars disabled if the seatbelts are not worn? I know in my work car('07 Malibu) that the airbag light on the dash stays "off" with a pssenger sitting in the passenger seat until they buckle the seatbelt. So why would they design a system to protect unbelted occupants only to disable the system until you buckle your seatbelt?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
No, the system is designed to work on unbelted passengers. I do not believe your assessment of the Malibu is correct, in fact I believe that to be in direct violation of FMVSS. Maybe if I need something to put me to sleep I'll pull up the reg's :) What did change in recent years was the size of the unbelted passenger the airbag has to protect. It used to be they had to protect a 95th percentile (225ish lbs), but think they now have to protect the 5th percentile.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
found a really good source of info at consumer reports
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ca...bags-have-not-improved-driver-protection.html
beginning with the 2007 model year, rigid barrier tests were reinstated for unbelted occupants and crash-test speeds were raised from 30 to 35 mph for belted male dummies and lowered from 30 mph to 25 mph for all unbelted passengers. At the time, moving the unbelted test down to 25 mph sparked intense debate among government and safety groups, including Consumers Union. In the end, NHTSA determined that a higher speed would result in greater inflation energy, which would increase the risk for unbelted passengers. The move to 35 mph for belted dummies occurred after the unbelted change and was phased gradually to 100 percent of vehicles required to comply by September 2009 in order to give manufacturers time to meet this protocol without making the air bags too aggressive. This change in the belted tests was partially a compromise to appease those who wanted a higher speed unbelted rule.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
No, the system is designed to work on unbelted passengers. I do not believe your assessment of the Malibu is correct, in fact I believe that to be in direct violation of FMVSS. Maybe if I need something to put me to sleep I'll pull up the reg's :) What did change in recent years was the size of the unbelted passenger the airbag has to protect. It used to be they had to protect a 95th percentile (225ish lbs), but think they now have to protect the 5th percentile.
Once again, not saying you are wrong either, but I know for fact that the airbag "off" light stays on in my Malibu until the passenger buckles the seat belt.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Once again, not saying you are wrong either, but I know for fact that the airbag "off" light stays on in my Malibu until the passenger buckles the seat belt.
is this true for all passengers or just light weight ones?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts