Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through the LX forums and came upon this:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=11320

I checked on my 2007 Charger (3.5L) and it had one of these air silencers on it. Has anyone removed their's and if so, what kind of effects did it have on performance, sound, mpg, ect.? I know this will not make any significant improvements but every bit helps. Would it be better to wait until I get an aftermarket intake to remove the silencer?

·
Registered
358 Posts
silencer looks like a way overworked piece of plastic. removal more pain in the ass then it's worth. not gonna get shiznet for power, wait till you can get a intake. I did not wait. i'm a type a personality.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I removed mine from my wife's '06 Magnum with the 3.5L. Instant gain of
over 50 rear wheel HP. The rear tires break loose with the slightest touch of
the throttle. This was like adding a turbocharger. It's a little tough to get to,
so I just cut it out with a chainsaw. Messed up my front end big time, but it is worth it.:smoke:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I removed the one out of my wifes 3.5L, and added a K&N filter. It seemed to do a little better on mpg but not so much on HP. I did notice that it picks up excesive debris in the filter box. I've had to clean the K&N filter like 3 times in 4 months. I just installed mine back in just to keep from cleaning the filter so much.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
If I have a CAI, is it still there? I don't understand where it is. I don't do much work myself on the car though I can, my baby should be trusted to professionals, lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what i read in the link I provided in the first post:

To tell if you have an air silencer (on stock intake atleast) is to unclip your cover and remove the rectangular filter and if there is a tube sticking up about 4 inches from the bottom of the filter housing then that is the top of the silencer. I guess you could check and see if you can see this tube sticking up. I know theres a picture of the air silencer removed in that link somewhere that might help you out. I think ill probably end up getting a mopar CAI when I get some cash and decide what to do with it. I think Ill be leaving it on there if what slick said is true about having to clean it so often.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If I have a CAI, is it still there? I don't understand where it is. I don't do much work myself on the car though I can, my baby should be trusted to professionals, lol.
I left the part under the factory air box installed, so the K&N CAI can suck colder air from the bumper area, not the hot air by the exaust manafold.

·
Registered
358 Posts
it is kind of a pain to get out. You will need to get under your car, if you have ramps or can get them, it will make life easier. open hood and remove the bolt holding your stock air box. Then pop the air box out, you'll have to pull hard, no worries it won't brake. you'll beable to see the silencer from there once the air box is out. now under the car is a panel that has like 10 or so small bolt in it. Remove those pull the piece down and look up at the air silencer. flashlight will help. you'll need to remove 1 long bolt from there, once this is removed you should be able to pull the silencer out. the silencer will also be connected to the radiator, but not bolted to it. pain in the ass level 6, butt dyno gain, 1

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was reading on a post several mounths back about someone making up there own ram air system after removing the silencer. After I had mine out and got a good look at it I think I can plumb it in to the bottom. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its not that hard to remove as everyone says it is and I did notice a difference in sound. Im also running a tube from the front of the car where the fog lights go as I dont have any and have had no problems.

·
Registered
890 Posts
IMO removing it is a bad idea, because it provides a path farther away from theengine to potentially get cooler air into the engine, which is what you want.

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea it does, but it is way to restrictive to se any gain. you would be better of useing dryer tubeing. I don't, but I do have a K&N fipk kit in the car.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I didn't even know you could remove that. I'll have to give that look this weekend.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
so i take it off and then what? do i need to replace anything or reconnect anything?
not really. almost every car in america thats a passenger car has one of these.

the intake box will be taking in air from outside the engine compartment with or without it removed.

as we all know its called an intake resonator....resonators are devices used to lower noise created. so its good to lower noise, but due to the fact "the bong" as we called it on the j-body sites, is twisty and chambered, air flow will probably increase a small amount.

power gain...not really. more efficient...yes.;)

back on the old forums we used this to get the noobs used to working on their car. its kinda like a rookie mod to where its not major, but for most who never have worked on a car it would keep you occupied for 30 min to an hour.:lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
i removed mine two days ago on my 08 3.5 and i didnt notice a thing. no hp gain for sure..it sounds just a tad different but overall not something i would suggest doin unless you have nothing else to do..i had fun takin it off tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts