Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower do the rear wheels loose when the air conditioner is on? Does it make a difference as to whether the air conditioner is set to high or low?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
damn good question. ive been wantin to know the same

·
Registered
363 Posts
An old story I heard stated it's like loosing a cylinder, but that was back in the 80's when v8's only made 160 hp : )

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Go WOT, A/C cuts off, no power loss:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
How much horsepower do the rear wheels loose when the air conditioner is on? Does it make a difference as to whether the air conditioner is set to high or low?

Thanks for the info.
Not sure of the number but yes you will loose HP with the AC on. Makes no difference high or low , as long as the compressor clutch is engaged you loose power

·
Registered
831 Posts
There was a story on the news last week about that and its a common myth that people believe that they loose power and burn more fuel with the air on but the study shown that it was not the case. No HP or MPG loss...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I pull 25 to 27 mpg with the A/C on and cruise set to 80. Like what was stated above, just go wide open throttle and it will cut off when you need the power.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
No loss, stand on it on the highway with the AC on, put your hand on a vent and you will feel the A/C turn off. Theses cars are built to perform for econ and perf. I will race anyone with the A/C on or off and not worry

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Don't feel a lost, but if I did, there's always manual mode when needed.
Mythbusters did a segment on fuel lost with A/C on one suv, and windows down in another. Surprisingly windows down achieved a futher distance on 5 gals gas.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
There was a story on the news last week about that and its a common myth that people believe that they loose power and burn more fuel with the air on but the study shown that it was not the case. No HP or MPG loss...
Physics says that this study is wrong......

With the compressor running, the engine will burn more fuel for a given speed. Work has to be done and energy is needed to do it. You don't just get work out of thin air.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
That is patently false. You can't defy the laws of physics. It takes energy/work to operate the compressor and that energy doesn't just appear out of thin air. What you probably saw was a comparison of A/C use versus opening the windows (which also causes fuel efficiency loss due to increased drag).

Best,

·
Registered
157 Posts
That test was far from scientific and It usually compares it to riding with you windows open as the comparision.

They should test with windows up ac off and windows up ac on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went ahead and tried to wot with A/C on. The A/C stood on and the car went foward. Didnt notice a difference in any power loss/gain.

But I also have the fast charger. the yellow one so that might be it.
Seriously my A/C didn't kick off and stil operated like normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is patently false. You can't defy the laws of physics. It takes energy/work to operate the compressor and that energy doesn't just appear out of thin air. What you probably saw was a comparison of A/C use versus opening the windows (which also causes fuel efficiency loss due to increased drag).

Best,
Not a myth and not against the laws of physics. But... not for the reason you ghuys are saying. There is no MPG loss because the car is more aerodynamic with the windows closed. The 2 benefits cancel eachother out. Yes it takes power to run the AC but the loss is a wash because the windows are closed and the car moves through the air more easily. AC off is less power draw on the motor but windows down creates more drag and again you have a wash.

Also, the computer shuts the compressor off at open loop (WOT). The fan keeps blowing air but the ac clutch is disengaged. Keep going wot on a humid day and you'll feel the humidity start to buil in the car. Short 10 or 20 second bursts you won't even notice the AC shutting off as the condenser will stay cool for a while.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts