Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this past weekend i decided to shampoo my carpet.. what i did was took out the seats and shampood the seats real good.. well once i got done with all that i plugged and bolted on my seats.. well the day after i drove it to the mall and then after like 8-10 min my air bag light comes on and stays on till i turn off the car.. i unplugged the battery for a few minutes hoping it would make it go away.. i drove to work monday and again at about 10 min the air bag light came on.. do i need to calibrate the air bag sensor or something.. can someone help me out here??

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive tried moving it forward and back but nothing. its right centered right now. just weird..

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I second this problem. After nearly EXACTLY 10 minutes of the key being turned to the ON position or the car is turned on, the airbag light will come on. No error codes show when hooked up. So I'd like this to be solved also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mines on all the time also...once I turn the car on after a sec it comes on and stays on till I turn it off. But I never removed anything or touched anything. Weird

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Guys. THis has been explained a bunch of times. You have to be careful. Your passenger seat is an airbag component as are the seat belt pretensioners (also known as buckles). You can not unplug airbag components with the battery connected. You risk deplosion every time. Thats like drilling a hole in your steering wheel.

Proper airbag circuit disconnect.

Remove the neg cable from the battery and wait 5 min.
Remove the two airbag fuses.
Reinstall negative cable
Put key in accesory and make sure the airbag light proves out (stays on) thus verifing you pulled the right fuses.
Remove the negative cable again.

You are free to work on airbag components.

This system is very very very dangerous. Be careful. I've been wrenching for 12 plus years now and i still shake like i got parkansins when i work on em.

You will now most likely be taking your car to the dealer to recalibrate the seats. This costs about 100 bucks, is not covered under warranty (it wasnt dodges fault) and can only be done by the dealer or someone with a starscan and seat weight kit

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with you 100%. In my case I didn't remove anything but I ain't going to a dealer to see what's wrong they want to much. Guess my local search continues...

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
I second this problem. After nearly EXACTLY 10 minutes of the key being turned to the ON position or the car is turned on, the airbag light will come on. No error codes show when hooked up. So I'd like this to be solved also.
Impossible. If the light is on there are codes. If your trying the key dance or diablo to check codes your checking the wrong module. you cant read the pcm and obtain ocm codes.

Mines on all the time also...once I turn the car on after a sec it comes on and stays on till I turn it off. But I never removed anything or touched anything. Weird
Then you have a fault> Plain and simple. You could have many other issues. Airbag light means there is a fault in the system which can happen whether you removed something or not.

Just fyi also, although i'm sure some of you dont care. If the airbag light is on and you get in a crash and the bags do not deploy, the highway patrol is allowed to upload your vdr and if they find a fault in the system insurance can deny your claim because the car did not do as designed (example, you break your neck against the wheel cause the bag didnt deploy based on fault, they wont have to pay your medical bills.) I believe they still do all the car body work but laws vary in every state

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Wicked beat me to it. same thing happened to me. I just dont care anymore.

Any alternatives other than 100 dollar trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
anyone with a scan tool worth more than 500 bucks can read it. It has to be capable of reading domestic airbag codes. If your dealer wont work with you call some local body shops.
Or you can come visit me in kansas city :biggrin:

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Hmm I may come out there for you lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's a thought - Are ya'll that are having the "10 minute trouble" referring to ex-police cars? If so, then the airbags may have been disabled at the PCM level. This is done on some Police vehicles because when some lawbreakers (intentionally using a NICE term) are stopped they will wait for a cop to come to a stop behind them, then back up as fast as they can - hitting the police car with enough force for it to deploy the airbag, trapping the cop while they make a getaway. The airbag isn't deployed in the perp's car because for them it's a rear collision.

Mine's an ex-police, and it has the same issue.

Does anyone have the "10 minute trouble" for a Charger that ISN'T an ex-cop car?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Here's a thought - Are ya'll that are having the "10 minute trouble" referring to ex-police cars? If so, then the airbags may have been disabled at the PCM level. This is done on some Police vehicles because when some lawbreakers (intentionally using a NICE term) are stopped they will wait for a cop to come to a stop behind them, then back up as fast as they can - hitting the police car with enough force for it to deploy the airbag, trapping the cop while they make a getaway. The airbag isn't deployed in the perp's car because for them it's a rear collision.

Mine's an ex-police, and it has the same issue.

Does anyone have the "10 minute trouble" for a Charger that ISN'T an ex-cop car?
Here's another thought.

You just posted a reply to a thread that is nearly 5 years old without acknowledging it or providing context...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with you 100%. In my case I didn't remove anything but I ain't going to a dealer to see what's wrong they want to much. Guess my local search continues...
Ditto...!!! :clap:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, no one has stated the years of your cars but under each seat you are going to see black and gray connectors, then a yellow, the yellow one is for the airbag controls, and belt tensioners if equipped. There is a TSB about those, if you car if fairly new it will be fixed free of charge, but the fix is to eliminate that plug. They literally take the connector apart, connect each wire manually, solder them together, then shrink wrap them. IF you have a scanner that can read the ORC module, (Occupant Restraint Module) you will see the code active, with key on, yes, key on!! It shows active code, simply unplug then plug back in and code goes stored. That's how you verify that connector is the issue. Fixed several that way, not saying it's everyone's airbag light problem, but you can try unplug, plug back in with key off, then see if it doesn't come back right away.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ha ha, this is the thread that never dies, and I gotta get in on it. I've got nothing to add, but Ddaddy posted the zombie thread over a year ago, and that was in response to the thread being 5 years old then. :D
It's back!!!!!!! You gotta take out the zombie's head to keep them dead. :blowingup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea I saw all that and laughed, I figured I would post because I see a lot of old threads that no one properly posted a solution to the problem. I offered one up so hopefully it will officially die! :grin:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ha ha. Hey, sometimes these old threads give people the answer they're looking for. Nothing wrong with posting a solution to a Lazarus thread. There's a reason I still check them when they pop up. Heck some times I'll browse the archives to see if I can "close one out". The problem is that people post a question, and never follow up to let you know what the solution was. So posts like yours can be very helpful to someone else with the same/similar issue as the OP.

This one though...... I just had to get in on it. It might be the oldest zombie thread I've seen on here. :lol3005:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts