Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Charger GT Plus, AWD, 5.7L, 5-speed auto, Scat Pack 1
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a nice drive down some of the highways in northern WI and MN after a small snowfall this past weekend. Below is what my car looked like when I got home. Believe it or not, the car is black underneath that thick coating of road salt.

If it's quiet and you listen closely, you can almost hear the car corroding...

The one car wash I drove by that day was closed, and it didn't get above zero for high temps until today, which means most car washes are closed, or your doors will freeze shut if you do wash it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Snow Vehicle

The wheels are supposed to be black, too. Here's a strip I wiped off.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
We got some snow and then temps at or below zero a few days... then temps jumped to 32 long enough to get a nice freezing rain while the ground was still deep frozen. Then temps went back to single digits...

I pulled out of the garage onto the driveway and slide about 4 feet until the front tires hit the sidewalk and the driveway levels out.... had to salt the driveway just to get back into the garage and the is with Michelin XICE Xi3 tires!

My driveway gets almost no sun in the Winter which isn't ideal :(

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,341 Posts
I covered the bottom of my car with stuff called Fluid Film. Got off amazon. I prepped it for going out on the saltflats. From the first trip out there I feel it works decent for what it is. No surface corrsion as I was expecting afterwards.

Reactions: mrminux

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Any advice for how to clean road salt on cars?

Any advice for ice and snow driving with our Chargers?
Just spray it off every now and then, I just get down and hose off the underbody as well.

As far as driving, easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I covered the bottom of my car with stuff called Fluid Film. Got off amazon. I prepped it for going out on the saltflats. From the first trip out there I feel it works decent for what it is. No surface corrsion as I was expecting afterwards.
You know I've meant to get some of that stuff and always forget. Could apply when I change to winter wheels via a creeper... usually put the car on jackstands anyway. Need to remember for next year! it is pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Any advice for how to clean road salt on cars?

Any advice for ice and snow driving with our Chargers?
If you get very cold temps and ice or snow I'd definitely get a real winter set of tires and wheels. Tires make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you get very cold temps and ice or snow I'd definitely get a real winter set of tires and wheels. Tires make all the difference in the world.
I do not live in an area where temperatures drop below 0 very often, but do you notice a huge difference between Winter and All Season tires?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Just spray it off every now and then, I just get down and hose off the underbody as well.
Assuming you dont have super cold temps where you live...?
If you have access to warm water and a pressure washer, using a broom like this makes it a bit easier.

I still have mine that I bought off MTM ~2.5 years ago - holding up well so far!
Granted, I will only be able to use it late April again : )

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania. It's been about 10-15°F the past few days. The roads are salty most of the winter. I just hose it down in my garage.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,054 Posts
I'm in ILL where they salt the roads. I take the Charger out every week or two to charge the battery, etc. But only on dry cold days when it's below freezing. There's usually some dry salt residue on the streets but al least it's not salt slush so the mess it creates tends to be minimal.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do not live in an area where temperatures drop below 0 very often, but do you notice a huge difference between Winter and All Season tires?
I'm in Illinois and drive year round. When I got my 2006 Charger R/T it was April of 2011 so snow season was mostly over. It had new Hankook Ventus all season tires on the OEM 18 inch wheels... I made it thru most of the winter of 2011/2012 but that next year I put Michelin XIce Xi3 on the 18s and bought some SRT Challenger wheels to put BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2 summer tires on.

It is night and day different on real winter tires vs. all season. No longer did I have to sit and wait to make a right turn on red if there was any mild traffic on the 45 mph road... and that's just in the cold/slush rain not even in snow or ice situations!

That was with the NAG1... now with the ZF 8 speed on my 2019 R/T I have to drive with a lighter foot than the 2006 R/T but the winter tires still work great. I bought my 2019 in late January 2020 and had a new set of 18s and the Michelin XIce Xi3s on it within 2 weeks!

Once you use a real winter tire you never willingly go back! Not only that you get the huge advantage of running a true summer tire in the warm weather too, best of both worlds!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in Illinois and drive year round. When I got my 2006 Charger R/T it was April of 2011 so snow season was mostly over. It had new Hankook Ventus all season tires on the OEM 18 inch wheels... I made it thru most of the winter of 2011/2012 but that next year I put Michelin XIce Xi3 on the 18s and bought some SRT Challenger wheels to put BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2 summer tires on.

It is night and day different on real winter tires vs. all season. No longer did I have to sit and wait to make a right turn on red if there was any mild traffic on the 45 mph road... and that's just in the cold/slush rain not even in snow or ice situations!

That was with the NAG1... now with the ZF 8 speed on my 2019 R/T I have to drive with a lighter foot than the 2006 R/T but the winter tires still work great. I bought my 2019 in late January 2020 and had a new set of 18s and the Michelin XIce Xi3s on it within 2 weeks!

Once you use a real winter tire you never willingly go back! Not only that you get the huge advantage of running a true summer tire in the warm weather too, best of both worlds!
Awesome information and tips, thank you!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Live in MN. All seasons are fine but ONLY if you not daily driving it. Otherwise 1000% for a dedicated set of snow.

As far as salt goes If I drive her on salty roads she gets a bath at the power wash in town which includes spraying the undercarriage with plenty of water. Cheap protection. No surface rust underneath in 6 years on my traded 2015.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lived up north for 50 plus years, no freakin more. Down south for the last 10 years. I love being able to wash my car in January when the temperature is in the 70's. Cars down here that are 5-8 years old look almost new.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Lived up north for 50 plus years, no freakin more. Down south for the last 10 years. I love being able to wash my car in January when the temperature is in the 70's. Cars down here that are 5-8 years old look almost new.
As soon as my wife is done working in a few years we are out of MN. Heading south like you. Freaking hate winter anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts