Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here, so enjoy my first story :-D

Last saturday I was heading to an archaeological dig site in Lake Placid, Florida.

I havent been there since March, and lets just say, theres one restaurant and two gas stations, and a whole lotta orchards.

I am on my way, and find the road Im supposed to be on. Take a left into the orchard, get about a mile in, and hit soft sand. Rear wheel drive kicks in, low and behold, im 4 inches into the ground. So I get out and have the gal Im with get in the driver seat and put it in neutral. I push the big SOB out, after about 20 minutes.

heres the part Florida people will enjoy. I managed to get at least 1000 love bugs around me from the ridiculous amount of exhaust being blown.

I back up, ready to get out of what is def the wrong orchard. BAM new sand pit. This time im over a foot and a half into the ground. I call AAA, and they call a company to come get me, im still trying to get my Professor over the phone.

The company AAA sent called and said they wouldnt come get me since I was in an orchard and it was illegal. Granted that may be so, but the owner would sure as hell want me out, just as much as I wanted out.

Right when they called, my friend got my professor and he came out to the rescue. I was on the ground for an hour getting a rope wrapped around the axle, which was about 4 inches into the ground so I had to dig around it.

When all was said and done we tied it to his hitch and hopped in and pulled out.
I looked like an aboriginee, my professor was laughing his A$$ off that I went off roading in a charger, and the girl I was with felt bad because it looked like a mess.

Well we went to lunch, and i cleaned up , as best as I could, then headed to the real site, which was only 1 mile away :( . Almost all packed dirt or gravel but rediculously high grass rubbing up on the exhaust, so I was getting more annoyed.

I checked under the hood at the site, and got a bucket and a brush from the dig site, and swept all the dirt in my engine into the bucket, and weighed it. 14 lbs of sand under the hood!

Somehow under all that, my car is still running fantastic, now its just got 10000000 dead love bugs around it.

Someones gotta be watching over that Magical Hemi.

So yea, thats my story, hehehe.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Haha, nice story.

And welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
See? You should've gotten the AWD model! :lol:

Sounds like my old 4x4 might have had trouble in that stuff!

Glad you were able to dig out okay... ummm... do these cars have a tow point or hook on them somewhere?? I haven't even looked yet!

:grin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
love bugs SUCK!!! make sure you get any splats off your car ASAP.... I drove through a love bug storm on the way to tampa airport, and left the car there for a week while on vacation... by the time I got back the guts had etched into the paint... my front fascia will need to be repainted, or replaced with an SRT model....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, i pressure washed em off, already had love bug damage from when i was sick :(

more focused on performance to worry bout what looks like 15 dead bugs unless you run your hand on it, haha

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You just need more practice. I've offroaded mine a couple of times, and I almost got stuck in up to my axle in loose rock. Fortunately I was quick shutting off ESP after it started slowing me down, and I was able to make it through with lots of wheelspin and rocks banging off the undercarriage.

I was going to a ghost town. I passed this sign along the way.

Bah. The Charger goes where it wants.

This hill was the scariest. There were lots of big rocks and I was sure I'd pop a tire. The Charger needs more ground clearance and more sidewall to be a decent off-roader.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts