Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I search, I get eleventy-billion threads on reso-deletes. But I am curious as to if anyone has replaced the stock resonators with an aftermarket resonator (specifically on an RT but any info is appreciated).

The local speed shop recommend that I delete the center oval mufflers and replace the stock resonators with Flowmaster 151110 resonators.

My Charger is our family road trip car so a balance between drone and sound has to be paramount. I have spent HOURS on YouTube and such listening to clips, but this exhaust combo is one I have yet to hear.

anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I put on Dynomax VT 17159 mufflers along with Vibrant bottle resonators but I had the complete Dynomax SuperTurbo catback and not the stock exhaust.

The Dynomax VT's are drone free at any speed and only loud when you go WOT. They are offset but have 2.5" inlet/outlet. You may want to ask the shop if they could fit them on the stock exhaust that is 2.25". I would leave the resonator on in the back if they say the VT's will work and go from there with the sound. Finding the right balance for sound is difficult using YouTube. The VT's can be purchased online for around $100 each but do not get them from autoplicity. I got mine from JEGS. Summit Racing also has them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed the Dynomax 39518 that has the superturbos on my 2012 rt. I do get the low pitch drone at the typical freeway speeds and inclines. I have purchased the vibrant 1792 bottle resonators. I was planning to put at the rear of the exhaust piping since they are a total of 12 inches and will fit there but am concerned if they will do anything based on another thread I read of someone installing them on a v6 charger with the same dynomax system. Another option is to put two Magnaflow mufflers at the rear that have an 11 inch body 4 inches high 9 inches wide that will fit but very tight squeeze vs the vibrant bottle resonators although the Magnaflow mufflers have twice the muffler area to reduce sound and or resonance.
I realize that neither will probably address the MDS mode so I am planning on taking the MDS out with a tuner if necessary.
Did you install the vibrant bottles after installed the system with the original superturbos that came with it? Did they do much for the drone and volume inside the car when on inclines or hwy crusing? Have you ever heard the VT baffles clang when the car is idling? I am in a bit of a dilema and about to put my stock system back on if I cannot reduce that 1700 to 2100 rpm drone.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
"Did you install the vibrant bottles after installed the system with the original superturbos that came with it? Did they do much for the drone and volume inside the car when on inclines or hwy crusing? Have you ever heard the VT baffles clang when the car is idling? I am in a bit of a dilema and about to put my stock system back on if I cannot reduce that 1700 to 2100 rpm drone."

Yes, I installed the vibrant 12 inch bottle reso's after I installed the superturbo catback to get rid of the drone on inclines and at certain cruise speeds. They did not work. That is why I finally got the Dynomax VT's. No drone at any speeds or inclines. No baffles clang or valve issues. Those have been fixed as long as you do not get one that was manufactured before Dec 2012. There were initial probs with the valves but several folks like me have the mufflers without any issues.

I have to say though, if you are looking for a loud exhaust without any drone it would be best to get the Corsa that is a lot more expensive. I have ARH longtubes with HF cats, the Dynomax VT's and it is quiet compared to other chargers with aftermarket catbacks. The VT 17159 mufflers were designed for single exhaust setup on a 4.0L engine or higher. My wife even noticed the lower volume after the install which makes my long distance trips more fun without her complaining about the noise and vibration. LOL

I have the 3.92 getrag and at highway speeds I am turning 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You have been very helpful.

I am not looking for anything louder than the Dynomax 39518 system. I am happy with the sound.

The Charger is supposed to be the "family driver and for business use". I just want to reduce or completely eliminate the 1700 to 2100 drone especially on inclines that occurs even with MDS off. MDS a different story...I would leave the stock system but that resonator is reduced to about 1.75 inch pipe coming into about 2.5 inch pipe into the outlet. Big restriction for hp....

I also seem a bit concerned that the Dynomax 39518 rear pipes do not sit in the middle of the stock outlets in the bumper. They are shorter than the pipes coming out of the stock resonators that are centered better in the outlets vs the dynomax pipes. The Dynomax exhaust pipes exhaust hits about 50% on the bottom of the bumper rectangular outlet. Could be building up resonance, drone and vibration there also. I noticed some vibration coming from the rear when crusing on the fwy especially when climbing incline. I also have insulated the entire trunk area trying to reduce drone. I am not chasing reducing MDS drone at this point unless the VT's eliminate that also.

I assume the headers you have and high flow cats also probably would have increased the sound also vs stock. Also sounds like you kept the vibrant resonators along with the VT's and all is good. Do the VT's address MDS drone?

Several of the Dynomax Systems for Chargers prior to 2011 had VT's with bullets for resonators at the rear of the system. The majority of other aftermarket systems have mufflers and resonators vs just mufflers like the 39518 with Superturbos only no resonators. So it sounds like either way I will need to add some sort of resonator. The Magnaflow mufflers that are more than twice area (actually about 4 times or more sound material vs the Vibrant bottle) may be an option for resonator. I believe after having viewed the Magnaflow site these 11x9x4" mufflers are used on their systems for the Charger at the rears with 5" x 14 inch resonators ( I assume straight through) in the center.Then if the Magnaflow mufflers at the rear don't do much will need to remove the Superturbos and consider Vt's in their place.

Wonder if anyone else has tried this yet?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I do have the Vibrant reso's on just past the VT mufflers but as soon as I finish all my trips this summer they are coming off. They give the ride a higher pitch sound (more European) and do nothing to reduce the drone.

IMO you should try the VT's (17159) without any reso's to reduce the drone. Cost is around $200. The VT's took out the drone at all speeds and inclines for me. The reso's did nothing but change the pitch IMO.

The dynomax tailpipes did not fit as I would have liked but I put 4" Borla tips on and removed the square piece on the rear. Fits a lot better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Do you still have your MDS in operation? I heard that with the VTs when the MDS kicks in the valves in the VT mufflers start clattering.

Also I am looking into where the tailpipe enters into the square in the rear bumper. Looks as though the exhaust pipe is a bit shorter than the OEM that was on the resonator and sits a bit lower. In addition where the pipe is cut on an angle the exhaust goes directly on to the metal cone on the rear of the square outlet in the bumper and could be setting up resonance.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I had the MDS delete kit installed when I got my Cam. For the tips of the exhaust I found the 4 inch borla's extentions. I believe they were only 6 inches long and they fit perfectly. I did remove the square chrome things in the rear.

I have a friend with the VT's and he has MDS. No rattle. Those problems were fixed over a year ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks again for reply.

I am considering the VTs. I would assume that at full throttle would be similar to the Ultraflows since basically the same muffler with valves for drone. I have 3" ultraflows on another car that also has large bullets for resonance.

In you opinion under similar driving conditions (not on an incline) would the ultraflows or superturbos be quieter? I realize based on the 392 gears you would be at much higher rpm than the stock so it is a bit more difficult for an accurate comparison although my car at 60 - 75 mph is 1700 to 2100 rpm which would be cruising speed. Around town the superturbos are quiet inside until the drone speed. The Dynomax site shows the superturbos a bit quieter than the Vts although that is generalized because all cars different.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I never tried the ultra's. I do know that if you get the 17159 (For single exhaust, 4.0L engines and above) they are quieter than the superturbo's. When I switched from super to VT's there was a definite deeper sound and a lot quieter.

After I put on the ARH headers and HF's it got even quieter. I had JBA shorties and JBA HF's on with the VT's. I was told that the tube length on the headers along with the 3" collector created a better but lower sound.

The only time the Daytona is considered loud by other folks is when I go WOT and to me it is still not as loud as it was with the superturbo's and all the drone that came with them.

When I get back from MN I am taking off the Vibrant bottle resonators and will be able to tell you more how they worked or didn't work. I get before and after vids.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am going to try the VT's. I don't have any resonators yet. Will see how it goes with the VT's alone first, If still an issue with resonance or noise will need to seek a resonator for the rear. I am interested if when you remove the Vibrant bottles if it makes a difference. I still have the Vibrants in a box to return but am going to hold off a little longer. There are some rear resonators that Walker uses on their Charger Cat back pre 2011 although not sure if they flow enough for an RT. Will see how it goes

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
i am going to try the vt's. I don't have any resonators yet. Will see how it goes with the vt's alone first, if still an issue with resonance or noise will need to seek a resonator for the rear. I am interested if when you remove the vibrant bottles if it makes a difference. I still have the vibrants in a box to return but am going to hold off a little longer. There are some rear resonators that walker uses on their charger cat back pre 2011 although not sure if they flow enough for an rt. Will see how it goes
I will be getting the Vibrant bottle resos taken off next week. Just got back from Vacation and will be taking them off before a trip to Phili. I will try to get before and after sound clips.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I am going to try the VT's. I don't have any resonators yet. Will see how it goes with the VT's alone first, If still an issue with resonance or noise will need to seek a resonator for the rear. I am interested if when you remove the Vibrant bottles if it makes a difference. I still have the Vibrants in a box to return but am going to hold off a little longer. There are some rear resonators that Walker uses on their Charger Cat back pre 2011 although not sure if they flow enough for an RT. Will see how it goes
I took the Vibrant bottle reso's off today. Makes a big difference at high speeds and cruising. Does not sound like a European V-8 now. I got a few sound clips but they are to long to transfer. (I do not have a memory chip in my phone) Great sound at low speeds also. When just cruising at 30-50 mph you can not hear anything. When you give it some gas, the valves open and you can hear the exhaust. Good sound with the longtubes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I took the Vibrant bottle reso's off today. Makes a big difference at high speeds and cruising.

What type of difference? Is the volume in the interior louder than with the resonators? Is there any resonance?

Great sound at low speeds also. When just cruising at 30-50 mph you can not hear anything. When you give it some gas, the valves open and you can hear the exhaust.

Did you hear the exhaust before with the resonators under the same circumstances? I live in an area that is very hilly. So usually on the gas vs flat roads.

My VT's have not arrived yet. How do your VT's only compare now without the resonators compare to the Superturbos in cabin?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I took the Vibrant bottle reso's off today. Makes a big difference at high speeds and cruising.

What type of difference? Is the volume in the interior louder than with the resonators? Is there any resonance?

Great sound at low speeds also. When just cruising at 30-50 mph you can not hear anything. When you give it some gas, the valves open and you can hear the exhaust.

Did you hear the exhaust before with the resonators under the same circumstances? I live in an area that is very hilly. So usually on the gas vs flat roads.

My VT's have not arrived yet. How do your VT's only compare now without the resonators compare to the Superturbos in cabin?
Interior volume is lower than with the resos on. Going up hills is definitely an improvement. Like said, IMO the vibrant resos give the ride a high pitch foreign sound. Much better now than with the superturbos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for all your help.

The Dynomax 17959 VT's arrived. I put them in Monday. They Sound Great! That previous freeway drone I had on less than flat freeway roads, is history! The car sounds almost stock while crusing on the freeway. I still have the MDS off.

You and several other guys were right especially at crusing speed the VT's work great. When on it they wake up with the straight through flow and make the Charger should like it should :) and sound good all the way around.

I turned the MDS back on to try it with the VT's. You can still hear the MDS it when kicks in, although the MDS is not as offensive as it was before. I am continuing to run with the MDS off since I like the way the car runs with it off.

Although its only been several days and only two tanks of gas, I have not noticed a negative change in the gas mileage with MDS off, although I do have the Diablo Tune which may help along with the new free flowing exhaust.

In addition I have not heard any noise from the valves in the VT mufflers. They are the latest valve design. I believe the VT's I installed are typically used in the single exhaust over 4ltr and may have a stiffer spring.

With the VT's the car sounds great and still has no resonators! I am still looking into possibly installing a small resonators / mufflers in the rear to lower the sound just a little bit more. I prefer an almost stock sounding cabin with hint of muscle car, although when on it the car will still sound great due to straight through flow. I will then try the MDS again and maybe use just for long trips since I have that option.

Again thanks for your help. Will let you know if I install small high flow mufflers in the rear as resonators and how they work.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Good news! That gas mileage drop could be because you want to hear that muscle car sound more often. LOL I find myself getting on it a bit more with the quieter exhaust just to hear how it sounds.

I am keeping my aftermarket resonators off. On my setup they gave the car a higher pitch sound. Now with them off and only the VT's on, cruising on the highway is a lot better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In follow-up to my previous post above with the Dynomax VT's, I installed on the Dynomax Cat Back, I also mentioned that I was considering a muffler / resonator in the rear vs just the piping that leaves only the mufflers in the center. I believe many RT owners would be satisfied with the sound of the VT mufflers, without rear mufflers, but I was trying to get the system even quieter in the cabin, without resonance and still sound good outside.

Last week I installed 2 Magnaflow Part #11376 11 inch body by 9 inch wide 4 inch high mufflers in the rear of the Dynomax cat back now with Dynomax VTs in the center.

The Magnaflows in the rear fit great. We cut off the rear pipe just after the hanger at the bend toward the rear, installed the muffler and used a hooker 1/2 inch stainless rod with the arrowhead on the end like our stock hangers. Bent it 90 degrees and welded on in the rear of the muffler and hung in the stock location using the stock rubber hangers in the rear and stock exhaust outlets.

All I can say, is that in my opinion and others that heard it, the car sounds great! No drone, quieter than just with the Dynomax VT mufflers alone, and a has the muscle car sound. At WOT obviously with the Dynomax VT and Magnaflow straight through flow it sounds great! At cruise on freeway my tires make more noise than the exhaust at this time. The Magnaflow mufflers are still breaking in and the sound is a bit deeper than when I put them on last week. I love the sound with this combination. A friend was following me in his car and commented how great my car sounds driving down the road.

In addition the Dynomax Cat back system has mandrel bent 2.5 inch piping, straight through exhaust, and flows more CFM to wake up this Hemi. It now really pulls hard on the top end... vs the stock system...With the combination of this new exhaust and the Diablo Intune I have noticed more power, slightly better gas mileage around town, even with my MDS turned off. I have not done much freeway driving for comparison MDS vs No MDS on gas mileage but did not see a decrease the short trip I took. You can check out the Dynomax site to see their test results on hp and torque gains for the cat backs...not too shabby...

All I can say is thanks to the guys on this site for their advise. I am very happy with the new sound and performance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts