Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this really great deal on ebay, In-dash CD/DVD/MP3/WMV headunit and two sets of 8" flip down sunvisor monitors. They were shipped on 7/20 to go into a Neon SRT-4. Then out of the blue, my wife finally ok'd me to buy a '06 Charger RT on 7/23, I went down and bought it that day.

The problem is that I went with the standard CD player, and from what I have heard is that it is very difficult to install aftermarket units due to the amp. (In another post someone indicated that an installer quoted him about a grand to get the same quality as the factory system. Oh, did I mention that I also have the EVIC and steering wheel mounted controls. Now I can live with out the steering wheel controls, and I was beginning to really enjoy the display from the the EVIC.

Now I'm torn on whether to send it back.

Is the amp really that much of a hassle?
Has anyone had success in aftermarket installs with the controls or EVIC? and what kits did you use?
Or, should I really look at paying $$$ or a simple headunit install?

Any assistance here is welcomed. Otherwise I will send it back at the end of the week.

TIA

(I Have posed this same question to LXforums)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My question was answered on lxforums.com Here is the quote for further info. Maybe this will be of use to other newbies like me.

CoolVanilla said:
I'll try to pass along the info I've been able to gather over the months. Please, anyone, feel free to correct me at any point.

1) The stock head unit and amp (assuming you've purchased the Boston Acoustic 6 speaker system?) communicate in a way that precludes one or the other communicating with anything else. In other words, as of today, there are no aftermarket amps that will talk to the stock head unit, and there are no aftermarket head units that will talk to the stock amp.

2) Based on 1), if you are going to replace the stock head unit, be prepared to replace the stock amp. This isn't really a bad thing; the crossover logic it employs is just kinda strange. The fronts are used for the full range of sound and volume at 4 ohm, the rears are really fed only filler volume although they still are full range running at 4 ohms. The doors, on the other hand, are fed on mid range bass and run at 2 ohm. Good luck trying to find 2 ohm sub replacements... and to only get mid range out of them anyway is a disappointment. It was an interesting concept and BA did pull it off for your basic tune enjoyment. Try and push the system at all though, and you'll find a lacking in many areas.

3) Whats the drawback to replacing the stock stuff? Nothing in terms of sound and performance. However, if you're like me, have the UConnect and use it often, you'd loose it as well as the steering controls (you won't loose EVIC control, just radio function control). That right there kills any hope of replacement for me. For you, it may not be a big deal.
QUOTE]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts