Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 companies offering aftermarket shifters for our 8-speed automatics.
They both replace what sticks out of the shift boot. Both remove the factory shift handle and tuck it away under the console.
Functionally, gear lockout is different between the two.

Hurst Shifters® Part #: 5380437 ($208 retail)
Fits 2015-2018 Dodge Challenger and Charger & 2018 Dodge Durango. All models and engines with 8-speed automatic transmission.
It's a pistol grip style shifter with a trigger gear lockout.
Image:

Web Link:
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produ...aluminum/?mk=40&yr=2015&md=287&sm=3633&e=4265

Video:

The grip panels are replaceable($55 retail). Stock is polished black plastic I believe. There is also Rosewood and Blackwood.
Here is Rosewood:

Here is a YouTube install video:

There is also a specific thread about this Hurst shifter in the vendor section:
https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363153

Also available:

Barton Shifters has a lot more variety. You can choose style, colors, and engraving options.
They offer 3 styles of shifters for the 8-speed automatic. There are pistol grip, t-handle, and a shift knob styles.
They all use a push down style gear lockout. They all retail 149.99
Pistol grip

T-handle

Shift knob

Web link:
https://bartonshifters.com/shop?olsPage=t/automatic-transmission&page=1&sortOption=descend_by_price
Barton also offers replacement grip panels. $40 for plain, more for fancy

I prefer the trigger gear lockout of the Hurst, but the looks of the Barton shifters more. And the price break too.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The handle grips that come on the Hurst shifter are aluminum and get hot/cold really quick...I replaced mine with the rosewood ones. I think the Barton shifter would have the same issue with hot/cold since almost all of it is aluminum.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They look good, I just think that they are cost prohibitive. I am not willing to spend $150+ for a new shifter knob. I am also not fond of the need to plug in the OEM knob and just place it in front of the shifter linkage; even with the "bag" I foresee some rattling and such.

Exco

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look good, I just think that they are cost prohibitive. I am not willing to spend $150+ for a new shifter knob. I am also not fond of the need to plug in the OEM knob and just place it in front of the shifter linkage; even with the "bag" I foresee some rattling and such.

Exco
It is a bit pricey. If I had my local machine shop make a copy of the Barton it would be over $150- probably well over.
That said they have a 15% off discount for Labor Day I think I am going to use

·
Registered
5,981 Posts

Exco
exactly..mine banged around on bumpy sections of road so it took it apart and removed the tiny circuit board and left that in the car. The rest of the "Starship Enterprise" shift knob is sitting in a cabinet in the garage.

I hated that damned plastic knob (too small for my jumbo sized hands) but I like to rest my hand on the shifter, so the Barton was a definite no go for me being that it works by lightly pushing down on it. The Hurst has a trigger you have to pull which I like a lot more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found 2 companies offering aftermarket shifters for our 8-speed automatics.
They both replace what sticks out of the shift boot. Both remove the factory shift handle and tuck it away under the console.
Functionally, gear lockout is different between the two.

Hurst Shifters® Part #: 5380437 ($208 retail)
Fits 2015-2018 Dodge Challenger and Charger & 2018 Dodge Durango. All models and engines with 8-speed automatic transmission.
It's a pistol grip style shifter with a trigger gear lockout.
Image:

Web Link:
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produ...aluminum/?mk=40&yr=2015&md=287&sm=3633&e=4265

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i2gVLMzLhE

The grip panels are replaceable($55 retail). Stock is polished black plastic I believe. There is also Rosewood and Blackwood.
Here is Rosewood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHo518We-c0

There is also a specific thread about this Hurst shifter in the vendor section:
https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363153

Also available:

Barton Shifters has a lot more variety. You can choose style, colors, and engraving options.
They offer 3 styles of shifters for the 8-speed automatic. There are pistol grip, t-handle, and a shift knob styles.
They all use a push down style gear lockout. They all retail 149.99
Pistol grip

T-handle

Shift knob

Web link:
https://bartonshifters.com/shop?olsPage=t/automatic-transmission&page=1&sortOption=descend_by_price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkUqHtwzUg
Barton also offers replacement grip panels. $40 for plain, more for fancy

I prefer the trigger gear lockout of the Hurst, but the looks of the Barton shifters more. And the price break too.
That is a very nice, professional looking thread that you started! Thanks for posting and thanks for the props!

- Jason @ Hurst

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like the looks of the OEM 8 speed shifter. Like said, those metal pistol grips get really hot in the summer and super cold in the winter. Especially in the hot months where the inside of the car can get to 120 degrees plus. Had one and it took forever to cool down.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I like the looks of the OEM 8 speed shifter. Like said, those metal pistol grips get really hot in the summer and super cold in the winter. Especially in the hot months where the inside of the car can get to 120 degrees plus. Had one and it took forever to cool down.
Looks like you will have $150-200 to spend on something else then LOL.

The T-handle shifter is a good look, but I find the factory shifter a bit cheap and "creaky". Maybe if FCA had put an upgraded version in trim level >R/Ts

*edit. You have no idea how grateful I am we didn't get the Atari 2600 pong gear selector...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I like the Hurst one especially with the dark wood handle! But aluminum? It'd be too hot to handle in summer and it'd be freezing in the winter! I'd love to get it, cost isn't an issue but rather the construction. I don't think I like the aluminum idea or the putting the stock shifter in a Ziplock bag and leaving it in the center console. I'll just keep the factory one till someone figures out a better way.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I like the Hurst one especially with the dark wood handle! But aluminum? It'd be too hot to handle in summer and it'd be freezing in the winter! I'd love to get it, cost isn't an issue but rather the construction. I don't think I like the aluminum idea or the putting the stock shifter in a Ziplock bag and leaving it in the center console. I'll just keep the factory one till someone figures out a better way.
The star trek shifter comes apart fairly easily so you can remove the wiring/circuit board and stash those in the console and pitch the rest of the cheap arse handle. Note: the leather pad does not pry off, it is held on by two screws on the underside.

Also, with the wood grips the Hurst shifter is fine in summer/winter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got the Hurst shifter on my 13 challenger... It's got the wooden sides on the handle... it get a little warm but not hot or cold in the winter there's really no problem with it looks great and Hurst is iconic... Really like mine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is that for a manual trans shooter?
That's a automatic trans on my 2013... Ordered the standard shift boot from Mopar Parts ditched the shifter and used the pistol Hurst grip... Looks like a standard alot better look than factory shifter I think... Gives the interior a whole different look... That's a pic of when I first did the mod looks alot better once the leather breaks in.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Daytona
868 Posts
That's kinda neat...looked at the install video and it looks fairly straightforward. I wouldn't mind getting the classic ball shifter. $150 is a bit steep though...especially since it's a "dumb" handle with no electronics or lighting.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Mr. Norms made them for the old NAG1 five speed, I had it on my 2013. I don't know if they have anything for the 2015 + models. I have the Hurst on my 2016 (I love it !)- it is crazy expensive now, Car ID lists it for $252.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had the Hurst on my 13... This time I went with Barton on my 18...
Car Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

1 - 20 of 24 Posts