Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what's the best aftermarket setup to make my 2006 Dodge Charger rt louder,
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
"Best" is pretty subjective. Do you want a deeper exhaust note, or just an increase in volume? Do you like or dislike "crackling"? Are you looking for "annoy the neighbors" loud, or just "it should sound like a Hemi" loud? Are you concerned about rust? What kind of budget do you have for exhaust mods?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Best" is pretty subjective. Do you want a deeper exhaust note, or just an increase in volume? Do you like or dislike "crackling"? Are you looking for "annoy the neighbors" loud, or just "it should sound like a Hemi" loud? Are you concerned about rust? What kind of budget do you have for exhaust mods?
I want a deeper sound and an increase in volume, I like crackling I'm looking for a really loud exhaust but I also want it to sound good, my budget is around 1200, I don't want it to rust on me either, thanks for your help I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You can pick up a Solo catback for around $900 USD if you shop around a bit. They have the only aftermarket catback with adjustable j-pipes to eliminate drone, just like the factory resonators. That's a pretty loud and deep-sounding system, all stainless steel of course.

Another interesting thing about Solo is that they offer the same system without mufflers, which they call the "Street Race". You still get the j-pipes, so no drone.

Here's an old Solo video for the first-gen cars, but if you search YouTube, you can find others.

Reactions: frenchie007

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
would you recommend a muffler delete or just get an aftermarket exhaust
You could try a muffler delete, it's cheap and easy. Plenty of examples on YouTube. Just make sure to use stainless steel pipe.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
would you get a muffler delete or an aftermarket exhaust for a 2006 Dodge Charger rt
Judgement call.

Check your exhaust tips. If they have rounded edges, you have the quieter, more restrictive, three-pass mid-muffler. If they're sharp-edged, you have the slightly freer-flowing, two-pass muffler, so any changes you make won't make quite as much of a difference.

My '05 300C had the three-pass muffler. I installed an OBX Maximizer exhaust (part number CB-CR12050CH) and I'm very happy with it, but it's more of a "Touring" exhaust, with four mufflers. It was a bargain for less than $300, but I doubt there are any more left in the distribution channel.

If you're thinking of going aftermarket but want to save a few bucks, it's up to you if you want to try the muffler delete first. You might like it, and if not, you're only out $100-200. Much cheaper than a catback. The only downside if that a muffler delete may shift your powerband a bit, that's why I didn't go that route.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thanks for your help bud I really appreciate it you made this so much easier for me, I just got my first car a few weeks ago and I don't really know much about what exhaust to get but you really helped me out thanks.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
wow thanks for your help bud I really appreciate it you made this so much easier for me, I just got my first car a few weeks ago and I don't really know much about what exhaust to get but you really helped me out thanks.
No problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, is this a good type of exhaust to get for a 2006 dodge charger rt SLP Loudmouth Cat-back exhaust because I am thinking about buying it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had Corsa Extreme and Solo on two identically modeled 5.7 RT's. The Corsa had too much drone (this was back in 2012 so maybe they have gotten better?). On my next car I did the Solo and like the sound, easier on the ears, better when talking on bluetooth but the neighbors still turn their heads so I'm happy.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
The SLP Loud Mouth is just that... LOUD... and it drones too, I second the Solo system (I have it on my V6).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been thinking about getting a muffler delete for my 06 charger rt because I don't want to spend that much do you think that's a good idea, with the muffler delete is there lots of drone and what are the cons of a muffler delete thanks.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a muffler delete for my 06 charger rt because I don't want to spend that much do you think that's a good idea, with the muffler delete is there lots of drone and what are the cons of a muffler delete thanks.
As we discussed upthread, do you have the two-pass or three-pass muffler?

A muffler delete doesn't typically drone on a 5.7, because the resonators do all the heavy lifting. Some people think the sound is a little too raspy, which is why I suggested you check out Charger muffler deletes on YouTube. Also, some people insist that they've lost some low-end grunt after a muffler delete. Like I said upthread, you might shift your powerband a bit.

The other issue is that virtually every exhaust shop would replace your stainless steel muffler with shiatty mild steel pipes. Since rust is a problem in Canada, I wouldn't do that. If you want to try a muffler delete, hit up a speed shop for a couple of 4' lengths of stainless steel pipe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't checked my exhaust tips yet I am going to check today, what do you mean by speed shop and if I did get an aftermarket exhaust what would be a good brand and setup because I am new to this and I don't know anything about aftermarket exhausts. what would you do to a 06 Dodge Charger rt to make it sound louder because I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
sorry and what do you mean by it might shift my powerband?
A speed shop is a store where you can buy high-performance auto parts.

When you make changes to your exhaust system, especially close to the engine where the exhaust gases are the hottest, you can affect the exhaust gas velocity. Some people who have done a muffler delete have complained that they've "lost power". Personally, I don't think that's true. More likely, the change in exhaust velocity results in picking up a couple of horsepower at high RPM, with the opposite effect at low RPM. That's what is meant by a shift in your powerband.

As far as suggestions for your exhaust, just re-read the thread again from the top. In the meantime, maybe some other guys will chime in.

And check your exhaust tips, it takes all of ten seconds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts